Sinning...in thought only

Wife used to drive an S-class. I have a pretty good guess on how much parts and maintenance would run for that behemoth. One trip through the coast range and ouch!

Yes, I used to own a BMW M3 and an M5. One of the very reasons I sold those vehicles was because of how insanely expensive they are to own and maintain. It's just an absolute joke.

That Mercedes though is in a class of it's own! An alternator probably costs $6000.

Reactions: StG58
Yes, I used to own a BMW M3 and an M5. One of the very reasons I sold those vehicles was because of how insanely expensive they are to own and maintain. It's just an absolute joke.

That Mercedes though is in a class of it's own! An alternator probably costs $6000.
...and just think what the repair bill would be if you ate a valve timing component on an AMG V-12 engine? Or got it out in the sand dunes and twisted up the electronically controlled transfer case?

You have to admit though, it would be an absolute hoot to put some tires on that thing and run it through Johnson Valley chasing a few of our members here! You would HAVE to video that. Entertainment for days. Narrated by some British guy with a rather droll voice and a dry sense of humor. "Here we have the new AMG G-Wagon chasing a 20 year old Jeep Wrangler through it's natural habitat..."

Does the thread have to be renamed now? No longer "sinning... in thought only!" :D

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
...and just think what the repair bill would be if you ate a valve timing component on an AMG V-12 engine? Or got it out in the sand dunes and twisted up the electronically controlled transfer case?

You have to admit though, it would be an absolute hoot to put some tires on that thing and run it through Johnson Valley chasing a few of our members here! You would HAVE to video that. Entertainment for days. Narrated by some British guy with a rather droll voice and a dry sense of humor. "Here we have the new AMG G-Wagon chasing a 20 year old Jeep Wrangler through it's natural habitat..."

I remember--just for gun--getting the cost on a new engine for my old 2002 BMW M5. The dealer told me it was something in the ballpark of 15k. Keep in mind that's a 15 year old vehicle. For that V12 in that Mercedes, you'd be looking at around 30k or more I suspect.

That's one of those vehicles that you only own if you're so loaded that you could easily replace it with a new one if something happened.

But yeah, I could see that being a top gear episode for sure. I'd be afraid to get that thing dirty though! Too many damn sensors and electronics.

A friend of mine just got the dealer to buy back his 2016. It had massive electrical problems from day 1. He would hit the brakes and the wipers would come on, door locks lowered windows (sometimes) and it constantly overheated. For the first 6 months he owned it I bet it was in the shop for 3. He threatened to have it lemon lawed so they bought it back at full price. Now he's looking for a TJR.

I remember--just for gun--getting the cost on a new engine for my old 2002 BMW M5. The dealer told me it was something in the ballpark of 15k. Keep in mind that's a 15 year old vehicle. For that V12 in that Mercedes, you'd be looking at around 30k or more I suspect.

That's one of those vehicles that you only own if you're so loaded that you could easily replace it with a new one if something happened.

But yeah, I could see that being a top gear episode for sure. I'd be afraid to get that thing dirty though! Too many damn sensors and electronics.

The sad part is the G-Wagons are actually pretty good off road. The older one's anyway, before they became a rich man's ride to the store.

If I was that rich, I'd have a crap ton of TJ's in various stages of assembly and a barn full of spare or interesting parts. I wonder what the ratio of TJ to G-Wagon is? It's got to be up there, like 100 to 1 or something.

The sad part is the G-Wagons are actually pretty good off road. The older one's anyway, before they became a rich man's ride to the store.

If I was that rich, I'd have a crap ton of TJ's in various stages of assembly and a barn full of spare or interesting parts. I wonder what the ratio of TJ to G-Wagon is? It's got to be up there, like 100 to 1 or something.

That ratio has to be like 1000 to 1, haha. I rarely ever see those things!

That ratio has to be like 1000 to 1, haha. I rarely ever see those things!
You see them on a fairly regular basis on the west side of Portland, out in the 'burbs. I wonder how many TJ's you could snap up for the cost of an AMG G-Wagon?

There's an autowerks in Tigard, run by two brothers. Hartmann's. The are the Blaine's of the Mercedes world in the US. They do a diesel conversion to G-Wagons that is absolutely to die for. Mostly the older one's though. Rock solid on and off road, and not all that unreasonable in cost. Bring them your rig, write a check and give them a couple of months. Bingo!

The also had an E-Class in there one time that they were modifying for track racing. A brand new coupe shipped from the factory, and they were tearing it all apart and modifying each piece for going really fast on the track. One of only a handful of manual transmission E's ever to make it to the US. Somebody shipped it from Chicago just for them to massage. Good guys, and fair prices. They were the only one's to work on our S.

You see them on a fairly regular basis on the west side of Portland, out in the 'burbs. I wonder how many TJ's you could snap up for the cost of an AMG G-Wagon?

There's an autowerks in Tigard, run by two brothers. Hartmann's. The are the Blaine's of the Mercedes world in the US. They do a diesel conversion to G-Wagons that is absolutely to die for. Mostly the older one's though. Rock solid on and off road, and not all that unreasonable in cost. Bring them your rig, write a check and give them a couple of months. Bingo!

The also had an E-Class in there one time that they were modifying for track racing. A brand new coupe shipped from the factory, and they were tearing it all apart and modifying each piece for going really fast on the track. One of only a handful of manual transmission E's ever to make it to the US. Somebody shipped it from Chicago just for them to massage. Good guys, and fair prices. They were the only one's to work on our S.

Very cool! I guess I don't spend enough time in Portland to pick up on it. I avoid Portland like the plague, honestly. The last time I was actually in downtown Portland (or drove through it) was at least a year ago. I go to the suburb areas (i.e. Beaverton, Tigard, etc.), but Portland itself I would care to avoid as best I can.

I used to live in West Linn, up on top of the hill. I now do much as you do. Once in a while I'll go to the Portland Outdoor Store downtown for a new Hat, or a pair of boots, or sometimes for a wool shirt or two. Other than that, no chance I'll go downtown. The place now just creeps me out. Funny, no problems with going into the tribal areas in the Philippines by myself, but Portland creeps me out. Just thought of that. Weird.

I used to live in West Linn, up on top of the hill. I now do much as you do. Once in a while I'll go to the Portland Outdoor Store downtown for a new Hat, or a pair of boots, or sometimes for a wool shirt or two. Other than that, no chance I'll go downtown. The place now just creeps me out. Funny, no problems with going into the tribal areas in the Philippines by myself, but Portland creeps me out. Just thought of that. Weird.

Yeah, Portland has been overcome by rioters. Hell, did you see the photos of the damage they did for their May Day riot? There were signs downtown that had been spray painted over with, "KILL COPS".

EDIT: Here's a photo:

22623482-mmmain.jpg

Wow, just wow. I didn't see that.

Maybe it's time to just let them burn the place down. Bulldoze it and start fresh.

I would love nothing more than to see Portland fall.

There was an interesting article in the newspaper the other day. It was talking about how Portland doesn't have a Trump problem or a Republican problem, it has a rioter problem.

Those rioters are beyond politically affiliated, they are straight up anarchists and should be labeled and treated as domestic terrorists. But we both know the pansy ass government in Portland (and Oregon in general) would never, ever, ever do that!

That Portland mayor and the police chief are complete lackeys.