SKIM questions

Brushtrooper

I am having issues with my 03 TJ. the Jeep will turn over and not start. I might start once in 20 tries. The key symbol on dash lights up. Does this mean the SKIM is gone bad or is it both of my transponder keys gone bad? I ordered some blanks off Amazon last night but i am not sure if this will fix my problem? Can i buy a new SKIM Unit? Will a new transponder key fix this? I have a run we in a couple week and I am trying to get his up and running. What is best solution?

I am having issues with my 03 TJ. the Jeep will turn over and not start. I might start once in 20 tries. The key symbol on dash lights up. Does this mean the SKIM is gone bad or is it both of my transponder keys gone bad? I ordered some blanks off Amazon last night but i am not sure if this will fix my problem? Can i buy a new SKIM Unit? Will a new transponder key fix this? I have a run we in a couple week and I am trying to get his up and running. What is best solution?
The best solution is to figure out what is causing the problem. I'd start by checking all the grounding points and making sure those are good. Then check the connector on the SKIM module and make sure it is fully connected. The dash light means it does not recognize the key.

Yes, you can buy a new SKIM module but you will need it paired to the PCM and keys. Not sure if a new set of keys will fix it since you need two uniquely coded keys to program a third. If they are clones, you'll need someone with a DRB to program everything to work together.

Reactions: pc1p
Any SKIS/SKIM issue should set a code. If you cycle the ignition from off to on 3 times without starting the engine the code will be displayed in the odometer readout.

I’ve had SKIS issues when the PCM failed and also when the ignition cylinder (Dorman) failed.

The best solution is to figure out what is causing the problem. I'd start by checking all the grounding points and making sure those are good. Then check the connector on the SKIM module and make sure it is fully connected. The dash light means it does not recognize the key.

Yes, you can buy a new SKIM module but you will need it paired to the PCM and keys. Not sure if a new set of keys will fix it since you need two uniquely coded keys to program a third. If they are clones, you'll need someone with a DRB to program everything to work together.
When you say check all your grounding points, what do you mean?

There are no codes being flashed. Jeep will not start and the key light flashes after turning the switch. I have a starter button rigged up and it will not start when turning key to run and hitting buttton. I am guessing its the SKIM module?

You can't perform much troubleshooting on the Sentry System without a DRB scanner. The module ground (BK) is G302 which is behind the drive side dash speaker panel. The PCM grounds to the passenger side of the engine block at the oil dipstick bracket. You also have a ground from the battery to the firewall and from the driver side of the cylinder head to the firewall.

A flashing SKIS indicator indicates an invalid or faulty key but there could be other issues.

Your options are essentially to have it towed to a dealer (or someone with a DRB) or ship the PCM out to have SKIS deactivated. If you do have it deactivated, be sure to unplug the module before reinstalling the PCM.

You can't perform much troubleshooting on the Sentry System without a DRB scanner. The module ground (BK) is G302 which is behind the drive side dash speaker panel. The PCM grounds to the passenger side of the engine block at the oil dipstick bracket. You also have a ground from the battery to the firewall and from the driver side of the cylinder head to the firewall.

A flashing SKIS indicator indicates an invalid or faulty key but there could be other issues.

Your options are essentially to have it towed to a dealer (or someone with a DRB) or ship the PCM out to have SKIS deactivated. If you do have it deactivated, be sure to unplug the module before reinstalling the PCM.

I had a locksmith come out today and make a new key. They hooked up the scanner and it showed there were 3 keys made. After making my new one, it showed 4 keys made. The Jeep still would not turnover and light on dash still flashed. Since the computer showed 3 keys and then 4 keys it seems like its working. We replaced the key switch and actuator this Erving and still nothing. I checked the ground behind the driver side speaker. No change. I will check the other 2 grounds tomorrow.
Would ECU failure cause this? I have thought about sending it off to All Computer Resources to bypass SKIM. At this pint tonight I am not sure this a fix for what is going on now. Any thoughts/suggestions?