Tennessee Smokey Mountain Jeep Invasion - 2023

NashvilleTJ

I miss the snow...
Ride of the Month Winner
Lifetime Supporting Member
Is anyone ( in addition to @jscherb ) planning to attend this year‘s Great Smokey Mountain Jeep Invasion over in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee? August 24-26.

I’ve never been, but will likely head over to check it out since it’s not too far from me.

Reactions: Apparition
Is anyone ( in addition to @jscherb ) planning to attend this year‘s Great Smokey Mountain Jeep Invasion over in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee? August 24-26.

I’ve never been, but will likely head over to check it out since it’s not too far from me.

Maybe… Trying to get the new rig ready for the drive from Arkansas…

We thought about it, but everyone we know that has gone to it said it was like a SEMA or just a swap meet for Jeeps, with no or very few real "Jeep" events... and heavily overcrowded.

EDIT: the Sheriffs Jeep Jam down in Jasper , GA was a blast last year though! If you have little ones, there is a haunted trail ride that's a lot of fun!

We thought about it, but everyone we know that has gone to it said it was like a SEMA or just a swap meet for Jeeps, with no or very few real "Jeep" events... and heavily overcrowded.

EDIT: the Sheriffs Jeep Jam down in Jasper , GA was a blast last year though! If you have little ones, there is a haunted trail ride that's a lot of fun!

My Mall Crawler should fit right in…

🙂

Today is the first day of the vendor expo at the Smoky Mountain Jeep Invasion. Overland Outfitters (https://www.overland-outfitters.com/) is using my JKU and my trailer to show their products.

OOBooth1.jpg

OOBooth2.jpg

OOBooth3.jpg

MORryde (https://www.morryde.com/products-cat/jeep-accessories/) is in the next booth, they've got their JLU outfitted with the Trail Kitchen and the other JL items I designed for them.

MORrydeBooth1.jpg

The two companies are next to each other in many shows so they can both use my Jeep... I've got lots of MORryde products in my JKU (and my LJ):

MORryde2.jpg

Trailer company Tentrax (https://www.tentrax.com/) was also scheduled to be here on the other side of MORryde but at the last minute they dropped out. I just finished doing designs for several accessories for their trailers and was going to give them the prototypes here so the could display them in their booth. They say they may just attend the show on Saturday so at least I can turn over the designs to them, even if they aren't an exhibitor.

OO used my trailer and roof rack to bring merchandise to the show. The hotel is very close to the convention center and they have a very strict parking policy about trailers. The Jeep and trailer only had to be in the hotel lot one night, they'll spend the rest of the show in the convention center. Here's how I got around their parking rules:

HotelParking.jpg

HotelParking2.jpg

There's a 10-foot dropoff to a river just behind the trailer so I padlocked the trailer to the Jeep in case pranksters decided to unhook the trailer and let it roll into the river :).

Sorry there are only JKU's and JLU's in the above (but my trailer is made from an LJ tub and a YJ tub so doesn't that count?), but anyway here's some LJ content...

——

I'm planning my annual Colorado trail expedition in the LJ for just after Labor Day. Haven't made final plans yet but thinking of doing Salida to Silverton and Ouray with as little pavement as possible, something like this:

Marshall Pass Poncha Springs trail to Marshal Pass Railroad Grade trail to Sargents, then maybe Old Monarch Pass/Black Sage Pass/Waunita Pass to Gunnison. Next day, pavement to Lake City then Engineer Pass, North Fork Cutoff to Animas Forks ghost town. Then undecided, either California Gulch trail and Corkscrew Gulch trail or perhaps going through Silverton via the Lake Como to Silverton trail and perhaps a few other side trails and then on to Ouray. Spend some time in the Ouray Hot Springs and then the final day/night at the Glenwood Hot Springs Lodge.

I'd make the trip longer but I've been invited to attend the Tentrax Owners Weekend so I need to get to Uwharrie National Forest by the 16th. No, I don't own a Tentrax trailer but because of the recent designs I've done for them they asked if I would attend and talk to the attendees about new designs and options for their trailers.

I love East TN, but I refuse to go to the Surgoinsville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg area. Too many people, too many tourist traps, too much traffic, and I am sure Jeep Invansion has too many mall crawlers and way, way, way too many youtubers selling t-shirts and handing out ducks.

I don't envy you Jeff on this trip. Head a little way in any direction from there though and you are in God's country.

I love East TN, but I refuse to go to the Surgoinsville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg area. Too many people, too many tourist traps, too much traffic, and I am sure Jeep Invansion has too many mall crawlers and way, way, way too many youtubers selling t-shirts and handing out ducks.

I don't envy you Jeff on this trip. Head a little way in any direction from there though and you are in God's country.

It’s all that, but not bad. I’m enjoying it. Nothing like seeing what must be 10,000 jeeps running around. Mostly duckable mall crawlers - but a lot of built rigs as well.

I did get to meet Jeff Scherb - we had a nice brief talk while he was manning his booth. We have a crazy amount in common outside of jeeps (and sewing 🙄).

I have no idea, but I did ask about the status of TJ parts. I don’t know these guys, but the guy on the right said he was one of the three who purchased the brand. The 3rd is a silent investor (his words).

I got the same answers as everyone else over on the Savvy thread.

- We are continuing to make parts for the TJ…

- We are designing new parts for the TJ…

- Gerard is still involved, and on the board…this really was just a hobby for him…

- The new web site is up, if you order it we will make it…

I asked if they still believed there is a viable market for the TJ, given the age of the brand.

His word for word response:

“Yes, but really we bought it just for the name.”

But you really just need to walk around here to get an answer to that question. There are hundreds of rigs here as part of the vendor show, and I can count on one hand the number of TJ’s I saw. It’s a JK, JL, JT world out there.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: RINC and Apparition
And by the way the Savvy booth was absolutely terrible. Nothing there but a tent and a few stickers on a table. These guys were not engaging the public in any way. They were sitting back in those chairs talking to each other. There was not a single person at the booth. I was the only one standing there, and I had to get their attention to have this conversion.

Not impressed at all.

I am out here by myself, since we had something come up at the last minute and Nina was not able to join me. Looking for something to do, I boarded Titanic:

IMG_7194.jpeg

And then we hit the iceberg…

IMG_7195.jpeg

…and then to add insult to injury…

IMG_7196.jpeg