Someone please check my planned 2" lift

JP.Mongo

After about 3 years of ownership I am finally planning to start throwing some money at my 2005 Rocky Mtn Edition Silver TJ. Its currently nearly bone stock aside from a headunit and seat covers and I am planning to upgrade the suspension to a 2" lift. I'm currently running (and plan on keeping) 31x10.5R15 BFG KO2's on the stock ravine wheels (also plan on keeping, love the look).

I am hoping that someone will dummy check the parts that I am planning on and make sure I'm not missing anything. Currently 4WP has the best prices so my links are all to their site

I am still a huge noob overall and I would love leverage some of the expertise on this forum, especially in regards to a SYE. Specifically, is it even necessary, does it need any other parts, or is a T-Case drop is a better plan? And if there's anything that would

Thanks!

Mongo

I'm not the most experienced, so I hope others chime in with more helpful comments. My only input is that I'm curious why you're going with 2" up front and 2.5" in the back? I think that if you did 2" in both front and rear, you'd still need the spacers to level out the standard rake. I worry that with an extra 0.5" in the back you won't be able to even it out. Or does OME not make a 2" spring for the back?

Also, you may have already seen it, but do be sure to check out this thread and the comments in it.

I am running those springs/tires (KO2s) but a different set of Ranchos and a body lift on my 2004 RME. See my profile for full details.

I am fine with the axles being offset a tad and got lucky and didn’t get any vibes (each case is different). Only needed a couple of washers on my bumpstops when I cycled everything. Passenger tire scrubs at full left, but I try not to go full unless necessary anyway.

It would look better with 32s or 33s to fill out the fenders, but it’s perfect for the kind of trails I enjoy. I like that my 31s are narrower and lighter. I don’t look for mud and only occasionally do sand where the width would be an advantage.

Tell us about the kind of trails you want to do.

So, I did the same lift with the rancho shocks. I did NOT do an sye and have zero vibrations. I really don’t think an sye is necessary at this point, but your mileage may vary.
I’m also curious about the 2.5” in the rear. Why not 2” on all 4 corners? I added 0.75 spacers up front for leveling.

I will say, I do think it’s wise to get a new track bar. I went with the relocation bracket on a recommendation. After hours of cuss words and bloody knuckles, I finally got the relocation bracket on. Whatever money I saved on the bracket vs a new track bar was NOT worth the frustration. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
So, I did the same lift with the rancho shocks. I did NOT do an sye and have zero vibrations. I really don’t think an sye is necessary at this point, but your mileage may vary.
I’m also curious about the 2.5” in the rear. Why not 2” on all 4 corners? I added 0.75 spacers up front for leveling.

I will say, I do think it’s wise to get a new track bar. I went with the relocation bracket on a recommendation. After hours of cuss words and bloody knuckles, I finally got the relocation bracket on. Whatever money I saved on the bracket vs a new track bar was NOT worth the frustration. Just my 2 cents.

I did the same springs/shocks and I need an SYE since it vibrated enough to break the u-joint in my rear driveshaft even with a TC drop lol. That being said, I got around 3ish inches or so of lift with the springs, so it's definitely dependent on the jeep.

Also, you may have already seen it, but do be sure to check out this thread and the comments in it.
Checked out that thread and it was loaded with good info, thanks for the reference.

So that was ultimately a question that I had as well. I picked those two with keeping them both Light Duty in mind but I'm thinking that it would incur too much of a rake. Would the 2" MD rears be a better choice? I don't have any aftermarket bumpers (but will probably at least upgrade the front at some point, likely no winch though).

It would look better with 32s or 33s to fill out the fenders, but it’s perfect for the kind of trails I enjoy. I like that my 31s are narrower and lighter. I don’t look for mud and only occasionally do sand where the width would be an advantage.

Tell us about the kind of trails you want to do.
My Jeep is my daily driver and I definitely intend to stick with 31's. Theyre perfect for what I use it for and I have no plans to re-gear for larger tires. When I take it offroad, I mainly stick to overlanding desert trails currently.

My Jeep is my daily driver and I definitely intend to stick with 31's. Theyre perfect for what I use it for and I have no plans to re-gear for larger tires. When I take it offroad, I mainly stick to overlanding desert trails currently.
In that case, you might want to save some cash by considering a spacer lift + longer shocks. Put the money instead into deflators, OBA, rescue and overlanding gear.