Steering wheel is upside down

Slow Eddie

Supporting Member
I’m perplexed with how I managed to to screw this up. The bottom of the steering column is keyed and can only go into the intermediary coupling one way. The steering wheel is also keyed and can only mount to the shaft one way. I had the column out to remove the dash. I also replaced all the steering components attached to the Pittman arm. I don’t want to take it all back apart until I understand what I did wrong.

IMG_0858.jpeg

I think you installed a steering wheel from a right hand drive Jeep, I'd swap it for one from a left hand drive one !

One time my brother moved my uncle's 70s era pickup to the hospital so it would be there when he got out of his addiction-related 72 hour psych hold. When it wouldn't go into Park, he ended up taking a bunch of stuff apart trying to figure it out and put the steering wheel back on upside down. So my uncle, 1 or 2 days sober, came out and drove away in his truck with an upside down steering wheel and never mentioned it to anybody. We're still laughing about it almost 15 years later.

The steering column was only disconnected at the steering shaft?
Hopefully the steering lock was engaged so the clock spring didn't get ruined?

It has to be the drag link adjustment if its the oem pitman arm and only the steering shaft was disconnected other than drag link/tie rod replacement

The steering column was only disconnected at the steering shaft?
Hopefully the steering lock was engaged so the clock spring didn't get ruined?

It has to be the drag link adjustment if its the oem pitman arm and only the steering shaft was disconnected other than drag link/tie rod replacement

Correct. I will try the drag list adjustment this weekend and report back. I think the clock spring is ok, because when I was running the vehicle the airbag light was off. I haven’t installed the horn yet so I wasn’t able to test it. I have a replacement clock spring regardless, because when I removed the electrical connectors a few years ago the connector housing on the clock spring broke.