Stronger Dana 30 differential cover?

Bumping this back up. I thought I had a line on an Alloy USA cover but it fell through. They suggested a Tereflex cover instead. Any newer thoughts on Dana 30 covers anyone?

TeraFlex 3990630 Differential Cover Kit (Dana 30 HD) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006D9WGKE/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I have one - bought it from "Amazon Warehouse" for about half that asking price. Seems as good as anything else, certainly heavy duty, blah, blah, blah... Give it a paint re-spray before you mount it up - paint on it is starting to rust through on mine after 2 years.

Oh - and the drain plug that came with it didn't seal well - I guess some cheap Chinese thing that didn't have enough taper. I replaced it with another one from the hardware store (be sure to get an Allen key style for flush fit), and no more problems. YMMV and all that.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
This isn't flashy nor does it have a manufacturer painted on it. It has taken some serious abuse on the rocks I hit
https://ktperformance.net/i-22647782-hd-differential-cover-for-dana-30.html
They're getting harder to find thats for sure. Some sites still have them around $50, others are selling them for $100+

20221203_142547.jpg

$73.39 out the door. Steep shipping, but yolo. Thanks brah! We'll see if they actually have any now. Low profile and factory style design at the back side for proper fluid flow matter most to me. Thanks!

Reactions: JMT and D M
I have a Teraflex Dana 30 cover too: it's beefy. I used some teflon tape on both plugs and used a Lubelocker gasket. Not leaks since I put it on in Nov '22. I'll probably get one for the rear Dana 44 sometime too.

IMG_5421.JPG

$73.39 out the door. Steep shipping, but yolo. Thanks brah! We'll see if they actually have any now. Low profile and factory style design at the back side for proper fluid flow matter most to me. Thanks!

Did this ship? They seem to be the only one with it in stock.

I have a Teraflex Dana 30 cover too: it's beefy. I used some teflon tape on both plugs and used a Lubelocker gasket. Not leaks since I put it on in Nov '22. I'll probably get one for the rear Dana 44 sometime too.
I tried teflon tape on my drain plug with little help. I'm convinced my example was defective.

• Sad
Reactions: MountaineerTom
I recently tried to find the best sealer for drain plugs. I read about 50 opinions and got about 70 different answers (typical Internet noise).

One thing which stood out is a few people saying you should never use teflon tape in an automotive environment (it's essentially a lubricant for tapered pipe threads to get them tighter, as in plumbing with heavy iron fittings, not a sealer). As a lubricant, it might make it easier to overtorque your plug, or might make it easier for the plug to come loose. A few people recommended blue threadlocker. Henkel/Loctite says their threadlockers can be used as thread sealants.

Just passing on what I read.

I would think a light application of removable threadlocker would seal a plug pretty well, and keep it in place, perhaps better than teflon tape. And still be easy to break loose when needed. I tried it on my transfer case where I had two plugs which like to seep. It sealed nicely, even with 20% reduced tightening torque for the lubricating factor of the threadlocker.

Reactions: Zorba
I was looking for something like that a while back, and the parts place had nothing. Guess I'll try again, now that I know about it. Should be better than thread locker for certain applications.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Did this ship? They seem to be the only one with it in stock.

I emailed a couple of times with no reply. Finally called them yesterday and the chick I got said "Oh, I guess I didn't email you back. We don't have this. I'll refund your money." 🙄

I just ordered the Tereflex cover.

I emailed a couple of times with no reply. Finally called them yesterday and the chick I got said "Oh, I guess I didn't email you back. We don't have this. I'll refund your money." 🙄

I just ordered the Tereflex cover.

Dang, I asked because I ordered one too with nothing yet. I am assuming no one has them.

I have a teraflex cover now. It works for but I wanted to remove the branding. The brass drain plug is useless after a few scrapes with some rocks. You can't tell my drain plug even was an Allen plug anymore

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
I’ve used this successfully on the metal tube coming off the water pump and the water temp sensor on the thermostat housing. I didn’t think about it when I did the diff plug, but may try it next time I have it off.

View attachment 422779

While my cover has a built in drink holder, the drain plug is sweating gear oil.
barnettdiff001.jpg