Technically your LJ is really a TJ Unlimited

I'm not sure where there is a place to be offended. TLU doesn't translate into anything coherent, so clearly it was a joke given its context in the discussion.

It really was a joke!

I was only posting this because I got to thinking about how everyone calls them JKUs for JK Unlimited, and then I thought it was interesting how the name TLU never caught on in the first place.

Just shameless thinking out loud.

You do realize I was being sarcastic... don’t you? :risas3:

I assumed there was at least some sarcasm in there but frankly, you sounded like a JK owner who is young enough yet got his/her first Jeep late enough, to have only known the JK. Maybe that was intended, maybe not. But I have enough of those folks to deal with already without finding them in what should have been a space free of that mindset.

BTW, whatever emoji “risas3” is (no, I didn’t bother Googling it), it doesn’t translate or at least it doesn’t on Tapatalk. If it was clever and intended to convey good humor, you might like to know that on our end we see “risas3”, bracketed by colons. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assumed there was at least some sarcasm in there but frankly, you sounded like a JK owner who is young enough yet got his/her first Jeep late enough, to have only known the JK. Maybe that was intended, maybe not. But I have enough of those folks to deal with already without finding them in what should have been a space free of that mindset.

BTW, whatever emoji “risas3” is (no, I didn’t bother Googling it), it doesn’t translate or at least it doesn’t on Tapatalk. If it was clever and intended to convey good humor, you might like to know that on our end we see “risas3”, bracketed by colons. :)

I think that’s a Tapatalk error. The emoji is the laughing one.

Anyone, don’t take me seriously. I’m merely messing around and being sarcastic. As the owner / admin of this forum and a huge TJ enthusiast, I have no reason to want to change the balance of the TJ / LJ universe!

:D

Just going from memory here (bought my TJ 17 yrs ago), finding to old brochures online would give you better answers:
Smallest engine, smallest axles, smallest wheels, no fog lights, no cruise, no AC, no hardtop, no LSD/lockers..... seems like there was something else it was missing too though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
I read on another page on this site that the tj se came with a cassette player and no a/c but my 2000 TJ came with the CD player and 10 station presettable stereo,A/C ,padded rollbars ,soft top,and a overhead speaker system, I bought it usef back in March of this year,so some of it could have been upgraded by the previous owner ,still looking for a owners manual for it,it calls for 205 tires but I have 31's on it and good gas mileage ar around 18.9mpg

@Chris, TLU?? o_O Seriously? Where do I send back my WranglerTJForum.com sticker and apply for a refund??? :mad:

It's an LJ. Officially or unofficially, it has become Jeep vernacular.
I think you've had too much fun this Memorial Day.... :drink9:
I really hope you are not serious. It sounds like a case of JKU envy to me. Just go buy one of those and quit trying to launch a one-man campaign against a whole community that has used a term for a decade and a half.

Let's all just calm down & take a couple deep breaths...none of this is serious. Except maybe some reactions

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ and Squatch
Unbelievable... WOW

I was being sarcastic!!! :risas3:

Chris,

Sarcastic and light hearted comments come thru a keyboard awfully, regardless of any emojis.

Personally, these two phrase are what I felt were most irritating in your original post, "Seems like we should instead be referring to the LJ as a TJU." And, "I think it's probably a lot more accurate than calling it an LJ."

We all have tremendous pride for Wranglers in general and I think that's especially true for whatever model we each own. In some cases they may be a personality extension or other deeper connections. So when someone, even jokingly, says the name people have been calling something for nearly a decade and a half is wrong or inaccurate, you're going to catch some flak for it.

My thought is the LJ moniker came from either the "long Jeep" or "longer Jeep" or the LJ on the body tag. REGARDLESS if it was official or not, it's what the Wrangler community has adopted. I get your point that it may not have been official but to state in your opinion that it's inaccurate or there should be a different name and then go as far as recommending a new name based on the nickname of the model that replaced it after is not going to go over lightly.

I was going to add emojis to my reply to indicate my level of joking but the more I thought about it, I realized it did irritate me more than just a little.

This is America and everyone has the right to express their opinion. Just remember, that right goes both ways. :beer-toast1:

LJ (and previous TJ) owner out. :wave:

The angry emojis made it seem like it was more serious as oppose to light hearted. Either way, for the super serious folks, my original post was merely an observation. I never meant to get people’s blood pressure boiling ;)

Carry on now.

Not a “chassis code” because it wasn’t used in marketing material? You realize that is assbackwards, right? Engineering makes the product, marketing then figures out how to sell it.

It was marketed as TJ-LWB outside the US, maybe it should be called that? ‍♂️

You are welcome to use whatever nickname you wish. Just understand that it is just that, a nickname like Beemer for BMW. That and if you would just do what I said and have the dealer show you the screen they select parts for your application from, the light bulb may burn just a tiny bit brighter for you.

Exactly how "stripped down" is an SE? I always assumed it meant the base engine was the 4-popper, but that was about the only difference. So, like a/c was not an option, or something? It's not like everything else came with power windows, power door locks, and power seats. What else could they omit that the other trim packages have?

Only the 4 cyl, only Dana 35 for a rear axle, AC was optional but it is optional on all TJ's, vinyl covered seats, power steering is optional, later models came without a rear swaybar, steel wheels only, not 100% sure on some of the stuff though.

You are welcome to use whatever nickname you wish. Just understand that it is just that, a nickname like Beemer for BMW. That and if you would just do what I said and have the dealer show you the screen they select parts for your application from, the light bulb may burn just a tiny bit brighter for you.

The dealership? OK, I had to get a new PCM recently, but really, otherwise who takes a 13yo Jeep to the dealership? And it’s not like they know the differences, at least where I live. Not even between a YJ and an LJ... much less chassis codes. If it’s not JK even the service manager doesn’t know anything about it without consulting a manual.

The dealership? OK, I had to get a new PCM recently, but really, otherwise who takes a 13yo Jeep to the dealership? And it’s not like they know the differences, at least where I live. Not even between a YJ and an LJ... much less chassis codes. If it’s not JK even the service manager doesn’t know anything about it without consulting a manual.

Would you just stop being intentionally obtuse already? I didn't say to take your Jeep into the dealership, you go to the parts dept. at the dealership. Pick a TJ Unlimited specific part like the cat back exhaust, soft top, belt rail, or quarter panel etc.. When he pulls up the screen for the part, there will be a list of body codes beside the part. Have him let you look at the screen so you know how it is done. The TJ will have a 77, the TJ Unlimited will have a 78 and in there somewhere will be TJJ for domestic. There will be no LJ because there is no LJ body code that designates the longer wheelbase.

Reactions: jjvw
Only the 4 cyl, only Dana 35 for a rear axle, AC was optional but it is optional on all TJ's, vinyl covered seats, power steering is optional, later models came without a rear swaybar, steel wheels only, not 100% sure on some of the stuff though.
They did offer a 6 cyl as an option in 2005-2006.

As far as I can tell the official name of the LJ is the TJ Unlimited. IN that respect, I can see how TJU could become a valid acronym. However, I read that one official name was the 1/2 Wrangler Unlimited. I'm not sure that wasn't a typo. But in the end, LJ is a nickname that is entirely legitimate. People assign meanings to words and acronyms. That is a valid enterprise and enjoys wide acceptance within a group via increased usage. Carry on!