Tennessee Red

I am not much of a picture taker, but I got a few.
Here is how much it was wore down:
PXL_20220311_153711642.jpg

And here is the plate installed:
PXL_20220330_173135995.jpg

The horizontal beads is the hardface.

I used my press to bend the plate, it had to be bent in two directions so it took some tweaking to get it right. The two holes in the plate were already in the plate from another project, they weren't added or needed for this.

Not sure if this is the correct way, but I will find out!

I am not much of a picture taker, but I got a few.
Here is how much it was wore down:
View attachment 319446

And here is the plate installed:
View attachment 319447
The horizontal beads is the hardface.

I used my press to bend the plate, it had to be bent in two directions so it took some tweaking to get it right. The two holes in the plate were already in the plate from another project, they weren't added or needed for this.

Not sure if this is the correct way, but I will find out!
What made you decide to do the hard face laterally across the axle instead of along the axis of the driveline?

What made you decide to do the hard face laterally across the axle instead of along the axis of the driveline?
I did think that running them lateral would be better but horizontal was more comfortable for me to run the beads. Also, my original thought was to cover the whole plate with beads (no gaps) thus direction wouldn't matter because it would be an equal height surface. However, the heat input was pretty high with running those beads and I didn't have the time to allow to cool and burn more beads (needed the jeep back together). If the hardfacing looks like it holds up, I will run more beads the next time I have the axle out (I bought 5 lbs of rods!)

Reactions: Mike_H
Christian had Good Friday off so I took the day off so we could work on his Jeep.

Two new fenders, new grill, and I had him change the valve cover gasket since it was leaking. He learned that your always one broken bolt away from a long day when reinstalling the valve cover, lucky it wasn't the very back bolt and we were able to get it out pretty quickly. I still need to straighten the bumper but he had to go to work so that will wait.
PXL_20220415_153304850.jpg

Did a SMORR trip this past weekend, see HERE for details of the trip.

Did post ride inspection and other than some damage to the soft top and a scratch/dent in the drivers side rear fender, all I can see is evidence of a leaking rear PS axle seal but it is not leaking much. I drove it to work this morning and she seemed to track just fine and be ready for the next trip (have another trip in a few weeks so I will wait until after to address the axle seal).

The plate that I added to the bottom of the rear diff seemed to hold up well, all the paint was removed and it was shiny, but there was no gouging or mat'l missing from the plate.

Took off work a little early today to load up to head to Hot Springs for The Great American Crawl. They tagged me to come over and lead a group of 35-37" tires, basically the group that doesn't get any media 😂
I typically don't do well in large groups because I like to be moving, but a few days of wheeling and a day of mt biking is better than working tomorrow.
PXL_20220519_173559168.jpg

Took off work a little early today to load up to head to Hot Springs for The Great American Crawl. They tagged me to come over and lead a group of 35-37" tires, basically the group that doesn't get any media 😂
I typically don't do well in large groups because I like to be moving, but a few days of wheeling and a day of mt biking is better than working tomorrow.
View attachment 331580
Nice to see another hard tail all mountain guy!
IMG_20200906_134529667.jpg

Trip to Hot Springs was a good one, the original forecast was for a hot sunny day on Friday and rain moving in on Saturday. However, the rain held off until late Saturday night so we got in two great days of jeeping. Unfortunately, the storms dropped about 5" of rain Saturday into Sunday and I was not able to get in any Mt Biking. Win some, you lose some.

On Friday, I led a group of 4. A buggy on 43" stickies, a 4 runner on 42s, a bobbed Tacos on 40s, and a CJ on 42s. The CJ, 4runner, and Taco were a Father and his two sons. We moved along pretty good hitting the following trails:
Shafnner's Hollow (5)
Headbanger (5)
Brandon's Run (3)
Fun Run (3)
Ult Adventure (4)
Four Fingers (4),
Then the CJ started overheating. So after lunch the father and two sons went back to camp to work on the CJ to get it ready for Saturday.
So after lunch I joined in with another group and we hit:
Ingrid's Revenge (5)
Gorge (4)
Ravine (4)
Can Opener (4)
Outlaw (5)

Saturday Morning the Father and Son group rejoined me and they talked to another group at the KOA that were staying at the same KOA who also wanted to join us, so on Saturday I had a much larger group consisting of a 4 runner on 42s, a bobbed Tacos on 40s, a CJ on 42s, a supercharged JK on big stickies, and 4 more JKUs on 40's. Interesting that they all want to be led by a TJ on 35s :) .
We ran the following:
Slammer (5)
Can Opener (4)
Gorge (4)
Ravine (4)
Shafnner's Hollow (5)
Lunch (during Lunch I noted my pax side rear axle seal was leaking pretty bad, so I added a qt to it)
Humdinger (4)
Rubicon Ridge (3) with Michael's Way (4)
Rubicon Ridge turned out to be a traffic Jam so it took us pretty long to get through and it was about 4:30 when we finished and we called it day.
The JK has a youtube channel called one_bad_JK and he said he would be posting up some videos. I think he also posted up some pictures on The Great American Crawl FB page.
As always, I didn't take any pictures, but this is what I was able to get a hold of:
FB_IMG_1653257843668.jpg

FB_IMG_1653257856522.jpg

FB_IMG_1653257866622.jpg

FB_IMG_1653257877168.jpg

Post Ride Margarita at the AirBnB:
PXL_20220521_230135389.jpg

Leaking Axle Seal, After Lunch on Saturday I added a qt and then added another qt soon thereafter:
leaking axle seal.jpg

All and All a great trip. I did quickly find out that The Great American Crawl Rockstar group needs ride leaders to babysit everyone who shows up so that they can go off and do there own thing and capture all their media. But it wasn't a bad babysitting gig!!

This place looks badass! It’s quite a hike for me at 8 hours but I definitely want to make it out there at some point.

This place looks badass! It’s quite a hike for me at 8 hours but I definitely want to make it out there at some point.
They got some great Mt Biking there as well. Look up Northwoods Trails Hot Springs on YouTube. The Northwoods Trails are only 3 miles from downtown Hot Springs and probably 7 miles from HSORV. It is worth the 8 hr trip if you plan it right and get in both Wheeling and Riding.

Reactions: TRE3TOP
They got some great Mt Biking there as well. Look up Northwoods Trails Hot Springs on YouTube. The Northwoods Trails are only 3 miles from downtown Hot Springs and probably 7 miles from HSORV. It is worth the 8 hr trip if you plan it right and get in both Wheeling and Riding.
That would be the idea, does the park have camping/is there camping close by? I’m trying to go to either Harlan or Hollerwood for my fall break, maybe I could make it out there next march for spring break. What is the mountain biking like? Technical? Fast? Lots of climbing or more descending?

HSORV has camping, both RV and tent. The national park has camping in Gulpha Gorge.

Northwoods Mt Bike Trails are a hub and spoke system. Few smaller hubs with some quick flowy downhills and one big climb to a hub with 5 downhill runs. They have Jump lines with pretty big step ups followed by a 24' gap (search Northwoods Lucky 13), to tight techy (search Northwoods end of the rainbow), to a lot of Flow (search Blue Jay and Ragnarok). They also have some XC which includes some fast flowy downhills. Cedar Glades is connected to Northwoods for more flowy XC trails and Cedar Glades has a pump track and a small dirt jump area.

I am more of a technical, tight, twisty, singletrack rider and not a jumper so my favorite trails at Northwoods are Wishbone, End of the Rainbow, Ragnarok, and Valkyrie. But my buddies will drive 3.5 hours (one way) just to session Lucky 13 and Ragnarok all day.

HSORV has camping, both RV and tent. The national park has camping in Gulpha Gorge.

Northwoods Mt Bike Trails are a hub and spoke system. Few smaller hubs with some quick flowy downhills and one big climb to a hub with 5 downhill runs. They have Jump lines with pretty big step ups followed by a 24' gap (search Northwoods Lucky 13), to tight techy (search Northwoods end of the rainbow), to a lot of Flow (search Blue Jay and Ragnarok). They also have some XC which includes some fast flowy downhills. Cedar Glades is connected to Northwoods for more flowy XC trails and Cedar Glades has a pump track and a small dirt jump area.

I am more of a technical, tight, twisty, singletrack rider and not a jumper so my favorite trails at Northwoods are Wishbone, End of the Rainbow, Ragnarok, and Valkyrie. But my buddies will drive 3.5 hours (one way) just to session Lucky 13 and Ragnarok all day.
Hell yeah I appreciate all the information. Arkansas has never really been on my radar until now. I’m going to pencil it in to my plans. I’ll keep you posted if you care to join.

Reactions: gasiorv
Trip to Hot Springs was a good one, the original forecast was for a hot sunny day on Friday and rain moving in on Saturday. However, the rain held off until late Saturday night so we got in two great days of jeeping. Unfortunately, the storms dropped about 5" of rain Saturday into Sunday and I was not able to get in any Mt Biking. Win some, you lose some.

On Friday, I led a group of 4. A buggy on 43" stickies, a 4 runner on 42s, a bobbed Tacos on 40s, and a CJ on 42s. The CJ, 4runner, and Taco were a Father and his two sons. We moved along pretty good hitting the following trails:
Shafnner's Hollow (5)
Headbanger (5)
Brandon's Run (3)
Fun Run (3)
Ult Adventure (4)
Four Fingers (4),
Then the CJ started overheating. So after lunch the father and two sons went back to camp to work on the CJ to get it ready for Saturday.
So after lunch I joined in with another group and we hit:
Ingrid's Revenge (5)
Gorge (4)
Ravine (4)
Can Opener (4)
Outlaw (5)

Saturday Morning the Father and Son group rejoined me and they talked to another group at the KOA that were staying at the same KOA who also wanted to join us, so on Saturday I had a much larger group consisting of a 4 runner on 42s, a bobbed Tacos on 40s, a CJ on 42s, a supercharged JK on big stickies, and 4 more JKUs on 40's. Interesting that they all want to be led by a TJ on 35s :) .
We ran the following:
Slammer (5)
Can Opener (4)
Gorge (4)
Ravine (4)
Shafnner's Hollow (5)
Lunch (during Lunch I noted my pax side rear axle seal was leaking pretty bad, so I added a qt to it)
Humdinger (4)
Rubicon Ridge (3) with Michael's Way (4)
Rubicon Ridge turned out to be a traffic Jam so it took us pretty long to get through and it was about 4:30 when we finished and we called it day.
The JK has a youtube channel called one_bad_JK and he said he would be posting up some videos. I think he also posted up some pictures on The Great American Crawl FB page.
As always, I didn't take any pictures, but this is what I was able to get a hold of:
View attachment 332357
View attachment 332358
View attachment 332359
View attachment 332360
Post Ride Margarita at the AirBnB:
View attachment 332361
Leaking Axle Seal, After Lunch on Saturday I added a qt and then added another qt soon thereafter:
View attachment 332362

All and All a great trip. I did quickly find out that The Great American Crawl Rockstar group needs ride leaders to babysit everyone who shows up so that they can go off and do there own thing and capture all their media. But it wasn't a bad babysitting gig!!
You didn’t get to see this?

E989BFA5-1AE5-4B1B-9BC2-72A5CD7573EA.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman