Teraflex Falcon TJ Shocks

If they were just a rebranded shock, there would be other shocks that looked like them. Tera makes them. Or more accurately has them made to spec.

They're a no-name shock with Tera's name on a decal on them. No telling who made them. I'm no fan of anything Teraflex rebadges with their name, they generally buy from the lowest bidder who claims they're the "right (whatever) for the TJ".

I used to be a big Teraflex fan, see an old pic of my first TJ with the Teraflex windshield sticker, but I gave up on them years ago. Especially after my Teraflex control arms proved to be so inflexible that they tore two of my control arm mounting brackets out of where they were welded to the axle. Dang I still had dark hair in that photo lol.

View attachment 110015
Is that the Doran gatekeeper?? Looks like it is actually passable, unlike when I saw it a few years back.

Falcon Shocks use the Teraflex address, they are most likely a Chinese made shock to Teraflex spec...Bill from Fat Bob's Garage also went to China and had China build shock for his house brand shocks...

It would be nice to know the lengths they offer. I only took a quick look but couldn't find anything. Did I also miss the TJ versions of the Falcons?

There really is no reason the Falcons can't be a good generic shock that fits within the stock mounts that could work well for many.

Reactions: mots
Is that the Doran gatekeeper?? Looks like it is actually passable, unlike when I saw it a few years back.
That is the Doran Gatekeeper but that was many years ago when mere mortals could make it up/down it. I made it up 6-8 times years ago but I wouldn't even consider trying it now.

Reactions: Alex01
There really is no reason the Falcons can't be a good generic shock that fits within the stock mounts that could work well for many.

Agreed. I'd like to hear from someone actually running them. I was told the same about the NX2 shocks from BDS (same mother company as Zone and Fox). For a 99% street Jeep, the NX2's have been great for me. They react and recover fast to all different types of road conditions and aren't harsh at all. The finish is nice as well, no rusting after 18 months, like we often see on the Rancho 5000x. And, there was no question about what lengths I should buy etc. Obviously, not saying they are the best shocks ever, or that they are good for all applications, but they do work well for me. The technology and design look identical to the Ranchos if you study them a bit. The shop that I bought them from say they "feel" similar as well (they sell both brands).

My guess is that we'll see more shocks like this that are generally good, but not great. Will be curious if the Falcon's fall into this category.

From QT:
  • Features: Nitrogen Charged, Piggyback Reservoir
  • Color: Silver
  • Fits Lift Heights: 3.00, 3.25, 3.50, 3.75, 4.00
  • Lift Range: 3 - 4.5 inch
  • Front Collapsed Length: 15.900"
  • Front Extended Length: 26.500"
  • Front Travel: 10.60"
  • Rear Collapsed Length: 14.100
  • Rear Extended Length: 22.600
  • Rear Travel: 8.50
  • Shock Valving: Universal
  • Shipping Weight: 45lb
  • Shipping Dimensions: 40in x 20in x 8in (L x W x H)

Front travel length isn't bad but they are a little longer than the 3.5" lift ranchos. The rears have less travel than the ranchos.

Rear 5000x 3.5" lift:
Rancho RS5000X Shock Absorber

• Compressed Length: 15.063
  • Extended Length: 24.688
  • Travel Length: 9.625

Front 5000x 3.5" lift:

• Compressed Length: 15.690
  • Extended Length: 26.420
  • Travel Length: 10.730

Reactions: mots and tworley
Do you know who made them?

I'd suggest it's either a Terraflex company or outsourced to a third party to build for Terraflex. Either way, they are made in the USA and according to the video (unless it's like the moon landing and never happens 🤣 ) to reasonable quality standards, interesting that they list the oil in them as Redline oil, seems on the surface to be quite a good off the shelf product to me (on face value anyway).

So looking at their TJ versions. Only one kind and non - adjustable.

Part number is specific to TJ's and corner specific so some thought has gone into these things.

From QT:
  • Features: Nitrogen Charged, Piggyback Reservoir
  • Color: Silver
  • Fits Lift Heights: 3.00, 3.25, 3.50, 3.75, 4.00
  • Lift Range: 3 - 4.5 inch
  • Front Collapsed Length: 15.900"
  • Front Extended Length: 26.500"
  • Front Travel: 10.60"
  • Rear Collapsed Length: 14.100
  • Rear Extended Length: 22.600
  • Rear Travel: 8.50
  • Shock Valving: Universal
  • Shipping Weight: 45lb
  • Shipping Dimensions: 40in x 20in x 8in (L x W x H)

Front travel length isn't bad but they are a little longer than the 3.5" lift ranchos. The rears have less travel than the ranchos.

Rear 5000x 3.5" lift:

• Compressed Length: 15.063
  • Extended Length: 24.688
  • Travel Length: 9.625

Front 5000x 3.5" lift:

• Compressed Length: 15.690
  • Extended Length: 26.420
  • Travel Length: 10.730

The fronts need about 3" of bump stop. The travel is split at about 4" of lift.

The rear need about 2" of bump stop. The travel is split at about 2" of lift.

The rears are funny. To better match the 4" front lift, the upper mount should be spaced down a bit with a little more bump stop.

Part number is specific to TJ's and corner specific so some thought has gone into these things.
Corner specific has nothing to do with anything but fitment. The piggyback reservoir has to be oriented very specifically to mount at a particular corner.