Thank you for recommending Rancho RS5000X shocks!

Here is the exact ones I bought, and I have cycled both front and rear suspension, and they are good on droop, and stuff! I am installing a Currie 4" lift.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JBLRGH8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Interesting. The part numbers in the Amazon listing for 4-5" of lift are the same part numbers listed in the vehicle specific application guide on gorancho.com for a 3.5" lift. There is no listing on gorancho.com for 5000x shocks for a TJ with 4-5" lift.

Specs:

RS55255 (front) - 15.69" compressed / 26.420" extended, 10.73" travel (mount code S4 top/XP4 bottom)
RS55256 (rear) - 15.063" compressed / 24.688" extended, 9.625" travel (mount code XP12 top/LS37 bottom)

Unless I can find longer 5000x shocks with the correct mounts top and bottom I may have to cross Rancho off my list for future shocks unless I go with the 7000 mototube series or the fatter 9000XL adjustable shock. Both of those are available in the lengths I need.

One interesting footnote: On gorancho.com there is a note to use RS5255 and RS5256 (5000 series emulsion shock) "until depleted" and then use RS55255 and RS55256 (5000x gas shock). Since the 5000 series is Rancho's entry level line one has to wonder whether the emulsion shock (5000) is being discontinued in favor of the 5000x.

Reactions: ac_
Y suggestion: Before you install them paint and rustproof them. Maybe with grill or high temp enamel. They are awesome shocks but the factory coating is suspect and they will rust like a mug.

I will,
Be buying these again and recommend for sure

Reactions: cliffish
Update: Received my Rancho RS5000X shocks, unboxed them and painted then silver. I live in Alabama so I'm not worried about rust but I didn't like the white paint on the shocks at all. Also I cut off the red dust covers on the rear shocks and didn't install the red dust boots on the front shocks. After letting the paint dry I installed them which was simple and straight forward (I watched a couple YouTube videos first). During the install I checked the torque on my front and rear suspension components and found several below specs, especially my track bar which was rattling loose. After I got everything installed, torqued and buttoned up I took my TJ for a spin and the difference was amazing. Now I can't give all the credit to the new shocks since I think some of my shimmy issues were due to the suspension components not being torqued correctly. But the ride quality was much improved....smoother and not near as harsh. For $200 and a couple hours wrenching I would give this upgrade 5 stars over my previous RC shocks which are basically new ( only 3K-4K miles).

I hear a lot of people rave about these shocks. I just bought some cheap Quadratec nitros about a year ago right after I bought my Jeep and didn't know any better.
Are the Ranchos so good that i should consider upgrading my 1y/o quardratec shocks now?

I hear a lot of people rave about these shocks. I just bought some cheap Quadratec nitros about a year ago right after I bought my Jeep and didn't know any better.
Are the Ranchos so good that i should consider upgrading my 1y/o quardratec shocks now?

I upgraded from a relatively new set of cheap RC shocks and the difference is very noticeable so I can tell you for a fact at this point it was worth it to me.

Last edited:
Your shocks are new enough that I wouldn't buy replacements unless you really don't like how yours are riding now.

received a new set of Rancho 5000x shocks & it's my intention to put them in on Friday but when I took the two rear ones out of the box I noticed that they compress differently, one compresses fully while the other one doesn't, is this normal for new shocks or do I have a defective one? I cannot push the second one any further than the bottom picture:

IMG_7277.JPG
IMG_7278.JPG

What's going on under the boot?

not sure what you mean, the pictures are of the two shocks completely compressed, one compresses about 4 inches more than the other? I had intended to cut the boots off prior to installing them but left them on in the event I have to return one of them...

I wish I could say for sure, but I’ve never tested out those Quadratec shocks first hand.

not sure what you mean, the pictures are of the two shocks completely compressed, one compresses about 4 inches more than the other? I had intended to cut the boots off prior to installing them but left them on in the event I have to return one of them...
Something is obstructing the shaft. The shaft is under the boot. That's the first place I'd look. Pull the boot out of the way.

Ok, did that. Man that boot doesn't want to move easily, hard as a rock plastic. Nothing obstructing the shaft at least that I can see. I stood on the thing & couldn't get it to move a hair past where it is in the photo so I'm thinking something's wrong, defective. I'm sending it back

Reactions: jjvw