The good news thread

No Owen or Eli today. Today it’s Buster. He had a physical last month and something looked suspicious with his blood work and it pointed to his spleen. He went back in for an ultrasound and a mass was found on it.
His spleen was removed last Friday and he came home Friday night. Poor guy was so doped up. It was a rough night for all of us. He was given a Cone of Sorrow by the vet so he would not mess with his staples. It was an awful thing so Mrs. Cheesy made him a less stiff one. He wasn’t too fond of that one, either, but it didn’t affect his breathing.
View attachment 441475

We decided to try a Recovery Shirt. That he liked. He even likes sleeping in it. Horizontal stripes don’t flatter, though.
View attachment 441476

He’s banned from climbing stairs until he get the staples out, so I have been sleeping on the couches for the last week just keep an eye on him. His recovery is going really well. You’d never know he has had his middle opened up. He’s back to his happy go lucky self.

Now for the really good news. The mass on my buddy’s spleen was benign. No cancer. So he’s going to be around for a while longer.

Showing off his shaved belly.
View attachment 441477

Who knew that you'd be talking about dogscaping.

I mentioned my kid got married. Her husband got a job in the town they are moving to in August. She is interning at a vet here in town. So I have a zoo temperarily. Her dog, snake, 2 gekos, cat, and fish. Added to my dog and fish.

I got to feed a ball python a rat when she was on her honeymoon.

You too? We have a shop cat that may daughter had.
When she went to vet school 2019 her rescue rabbit came to our house and 5 years later, we just had to put it down yesterday.

End of summer bash with my brothers and their families in North GA.

E4EA14E7-F62E-4AF5-8558-365178DA3211.jpeg
6 adults, 7 kids ranging 2-12.

I filled up my daughter's car today, and in the category of it's about damn time - we have self service gas in the People's Republic of Oregon.

Half the pumps are still full service, and the price is the same for full or self service. Costco had helpers at the self service pumps to explain to Oregonians how to pump gas.

self serve.jpg

I was grocery shopping a few hours ago, and an off-duty cop who was working Security stopped me just as I was getting to the exit. He asked if I'd be willing to do him a favor. Seems he wanted me to do a short video with him telling his two young grandchildren to be good. Said they would totally believe that I was Santa Claus. :LOL: Of course, I was happy to oblige. So, with him standing beside me, I called the kids by name, told them that their grandpa had said that they'd been good all year, and to "keep it up, because...you know, Christmas is coming..." :giggle:

He was appreciative of it, and a few of the customers and employees got a good chuckle out of it. Then, as I left the store, an older couple out in the parking lot called me Santa, and reminded me that it won't be long before the season is here.

Haha I love that sort of stuff!

This may sound goofy to some of you, but for me, it was awesome. I got to spend about two and a half hours in a wrecking yard today, pulling parts. I liberated the rear seat base from a '90 XJ 2-door (to replace the broken one in our '96 2-door), as well as a perfect grille and headlight trim and turn signal lenses. Snagged a missing piece of trim for my daughter's Toyota minivan, too. Even found a '65 Rambler Classic that had parts that my buddy needs for the convertible I gave him (talk about an unexpected find!). It was one of the most successful wrecking yard crawls I've had in a very long time.

I love wrecking yards. When I'm gone, I'm hoping my wife will dump my ashes over some remote wrecking yard out in the sticks. I'd be fine with that! ;)

Last edited:
Here's some Owen for you.

School's back in session, so O and I are back to Friday boys night out roller skating. With the Ural parked for the foreseeable future until I can get the new cylinder heads, we'll be taking the rusty LJ to the rink. O has to be different, so he crawls into the backseat from the tailgate. That's also how he gets out. Gotta admit that it makes some sense because backseat access from the doors is a real pain in the ass. Anyway, as O is crawling over the backseat to get out, he says, "Jeez, grandpa, I just crushed my massive balls." :LOL: Grandpa snotted and choked. Thank Ja that I had sense enough to take a leak before I went to pick O up.

On another note, I was taking five from skating when an older woman sat down across from me and just started shooting the breeze. We talked about being rink rats in our youth, the crappy music being played, and pointing out our grandkids on the rink. She then says that she thinks she's a few years older than me but that I'd like the song she requested to be played. I asked her to guess my age. She said 58. I said add 9 to that. She was surprised and said I had 5 years on her. Her song choice; 'The Hustle'. I shook my head and said that disco still sucked.

1696725250355.png

Sorry for the image size but I snagged it from my daughters' FB page.

Owen had joined a traveling hockey team a few months ago. Today he scored his first ever goal in competition. It was a perfect lifted shot that went over the goalies' shoulder. Mom, grandma, and grandpa jumped out of their seats, Dad, who is an assistant coach for Owens' team, shed a tear.

The kid was absolutely stoked.

Marked the 25th anniversary in my house a few days ago officially making it the longest I've ever lived under one roof. I've done a lot to it over the years, most importantly raising my kids from babies to adulthood, they were 1 & 2 years old when we moved in so it's the only home they knew - it even survived a divorce mid-way through my time here, at that time there was one thing I wanted & it was non-negotiable, me & my kids to remain under this roof after the dust settled, mission accomplished, I was able to buck the normal trajectory of men in divorce situations and maintain lordship over my castle with my people 👊

It's a cool crib, way too much for me alone at this point but it's still a great place to live. I've converted the extra bedrooms, besides the master bedroom one is my home office, one is a guest room & one is my girlfriend's yoga studio, she practices daily & is also an instructor & has conducted many classes by Zoom from there. Besides that it has a killer kitchen I put in 20 years ago with a nice granite island for the frequent baking I do, nice living room, massive family room a/k/a 'The Tavern', backyard is nicely a wooded on the perimeter - large party gathering place, bonfire pit, doubled as a soccer field, baseball diamond and all around killer piece of ground, two open air porches, one off the kitchen & one off the detached garage which covers the outdoor kitchen a/k/a the hut.

I'm not sure what the future holds for it, I really should be moving on to something smaller/tighter, & will do that when the girlfriend finishes up with her kids, so for now I'm just chillin in place as it's easy & the devil I know.

the Tavern

basement 2.JPG

Bomber leather Barcaloungers a/k/a 'the qualudes' & fireplace pit, this is where we hunker down for the winter, make homemade food & sip microbrews while awaiting the return of spring & a return to outdoor life

basement 3.JPG

the breakfast porch

morning has broken.JPG

part of the yoga studio

IMG_7419.JPG

the hut

IMG_8204.jpg

This weekend is a hut weekend, weather is sunny & high 70's, so I'll be making a batch of Neapolitan pizza dough today for baking tomorrow, picked up a few local Oktoberfest beers, we're set.

Been awhile since anyone has posted so I thought I’d share. As anyone with kids knows, especially those of us who are raising tween girls, there are sometimes tears, often eye rolling, the fear that you’re messing up your kid and the hope you’re setting them on the right path. This is about life lessons sometimes paying off.

My 12yr old has been in the school play since pre-K. PreK - 5th is the typical kick line/tree/ensemble, with middle school getting the individual named parts. However, every year a few 5th graders get a special part that separates them from the ensemble. My daughter was on time to all the mandatory practices, but we left it up to her if she stayed for the optionals, and that’s where the play director asked her friends to take the special 5th grade parts. After some tears about not getting a part, we had a long talk about the difference between showing up VS putting in extra effort and how to be happy for a friend.

Jump to this year, 6th grade and the first chance to have a real part in the play. We talked with her how to approach the play director, what it meant to prioritize tryouts and all the optional activities, and that if we were going to be taxiing her back to school after class and on the weekends, she needed to 1) decide this was a priority over other activities 2) understand that she was competing against other kids who went to drama camp 3) have realistic expectations based on her genetic ability to dance and carry a tune and 4) that wanting something doesn’t mean you get it in middle school, let alone the real world.

Anyways, they released the cast list tonight, and while she’s not going to be Jasmine, proud of her for getting 3 named parts and learning that putting in the effort pays off.

Been awhile since anyone has posted so I thought I’d share. As anyone with kids knows, especially those of us who are raising tween girls, there are sometimes tears, often eye rolling, the fear that you’re messing up your kid and the hope you’re setting them on the right path. This is about life lessons sometimes paying off.

My 12yr old has been in the school play since pre-K. PreK - 5th is the typical kick line/tree/ensemble, with middle school getting the individual named parts. However, every year a few 5th graders get a special part that separates them from the ensemble. My daughter was on time to all the mandatory practices, but we left it up to her if she stayed for the optionals, and that’s where the play director asked her friends to take the special 5th grade parts. After some tears about not getting a part, we had a long talk about the difference between showing up VS putting in extra effort and how to be happy for a friend.

Jump to this year, 6th grade and the first chance to have a real part in the play. We talked with her how to approach the play director, what it meant to prioritize tryouts and all the optional activities, and that if we were going to be taxiing her back to school after class and on the weekends, she needed to 1) decide this was a priority over other activities 2) understand that she was competing against other kids who went to drama camp 3) have realistic expectations based on her genetic ability to dance and carry a tune and 4) that wanting something doesn’t mean you get it in middle school, let alone the real world.

Anyways, they released the cast list tonight, and while she’s not going to be Jasmine, proud of her for getting 3 named parts and learning that putting in the effort pays off.

Very cool! You're a good parent. Excellent guidance.

Not much to say about Owen, he's still playing hockey and loving it. Though he has decided to not skate with me on Fridays until the season is done. That's the only day without practice and he wants one day to play with his monster trucks.

Eli, on the other hand, is more than a one sport kid. He is playing intramural basketball now that soccer is over and taking a break from Tae Kwan Do. Getting a bronze medal at an international competition in S. Korea earned him a break. It also got him a BMOC status in the 4th grade.

So, Eli's bucket ball skills are right up there with his grandpa's, which is to say, he has none. He's having fun. He's the tallest kid on his team, but a total klutz. So, he's mostly guarding. Somehow, he ended up with the ball and there was no one to pass it to, so from mid-court, he shoots. I'm screaming at him not to do it. Damned if it wasn't 'nuttn' but net' and three points. His little group of misfits went up against the best team at the school. They lost, but 33-31 was pretty damn good.

Also about Eli. He had hair down to his shoulders until Monday. He got it cut pretty short and now he has, as he puts it, three pony tails sitting on his dresser waiting to be donated to the American Cancer Society.