The good news thread

Not much to say about Owen, he's still playing hockey and loving it. Though he has decided to not skate with me on Fridays until the season is done. That's the only day without practice and he wants one day to play with his monster trucks.

Eli, on the other hand, is more than a one sport kid. He is playing intramural basketball now that soccer is over and taking a break from Tae Kwan Do. Getting a bronze medal at an international competition in S. Korea earned him a break. It also got him a BMOC status in the 4th grade.

So, Eli's bucket ball skills are right up there with his grandpa's, which is to say, he has none. He's having fun. He's the tallest kid on his team, but a total klutz. So, he's mostly guarding. Somehow, he ended up with the ball and there was no one to pass it to, so from mid-court, he shoots. I'm screaming at him not to do it. Damned if it wasn't 'nuttn' but net' and three points. His little group of misfits went up against the best team at the school. They lost, but 33-31 was pretty damn good.

Also about Eli. He had hair down to his shoulders until Monday. He got it cut pretty short and now he has, as he puts it, three pony tails sitting on his dresser waiting to be donated to the American Cancer Society.

Love the stories 'bout your grandkids, @Cheesy. Having two young granddaughters of my own, I can appreciate the entertainment value they bring to us older folks. ;)

Reactions: Cheesy
I meant to post the pic of Eli, pre haircut, and cousin Lauren in Maine, over Thanksgiving.
iNtZlcwl.jpg

Good on Eli to donate his hair. I've donated 4 over the years. They were well over 18" each.

Good on ya.

I was kind of taken aback by the comments he received from crabasses in Maine about the length of his hair. Same shit I got in the 60s and 70s about the length of mine. If I'd had his black belts back then, there'd been some hurting old farts. It was kind of fun when he'd say he was growing it long for cancer patients and the crabass would 'humph' and walk away.

Yep, almost the same thing for me back then. The boys would tease me about it but, the girls would love to feel the braid in their hands.
My Mom kept the first one but, I don't know what happened to the second one. The 3rd & 4th were left at the barber shop to be donated
to the ACS.
It brings a tear to my eye to think about the smiles and joy of a patient that has received donated hair from your Eli and from myself.

Dang it, who's cutting onions.

Reactions: Cheesy and Squatch
Good on ya.

I was kind of taken aback by the comments he received from crabasses in Maine about the length of his hair. Same shit I got in the 60s and 70s about the length of mine. If I'd had his black belts back then, there'd been some hurting old farts. It was kind of fun when he'd say he was growing it long for cancer patients and the crabass would 'humph' and walk away.

Sorry you ran into one of the busybody crabasses. We have two types of crabasses up here, busybody and None of my business. I guarantee most of us dont care a hoot how long someone's hair is. But you never get to meet us because we mind our own business :)

Reactions: Squatch and Cheesy
Sorry you ran into one of the busybody crabasses. We have two types of crabasses up here, busybody and None of my business. I guarantee most of us dont care a hoot how long someone's hair is. But you never get to meet us because we mind our own business :)

No worries. That was the first time we'd encountered something like that. We visit Mid-Coast a couple times a year. The first time we were in Maine was in 1989 and our 10 year old daughter said she would live in Maine one day. She has for the last 22 years. For some reason, miles are longer in Maine.

Reactions: wigsajumper
No worries. That was the first time we'd encountered something like that. We visit Mid-Coast a couple times a year. The first time we were in Maine was in 1989 and our 10 year old daughter said she would live in Maine one day. She has for the last 22 years. For some reason, miles are longer in Maine.

Yup. Even if something is 3 miles away it usually takes 12 miles to get there.

The patent for a technology I co-invented was finally issued. I don't work for the company anymore so I won't get the bonus they pay out for issued patents and I'll have to have a buddy get a photo of the plaque on the wall, but as my first (and only) it's pretty cool to finally see it after 4 years. It actually issued a year ago but I was never notified...just been checking in every few months. It must take a while to show up on the search site because I know I checked this summer and it only had the application.

https://image-ppubs.uspto.gov/dirsearch-public/print/downloadPdf/11530856

The patent for a technology I co-invented was finally issued. I don't work for the company anymore so I won't get the bonus they pay out for issued patents and I'll have to have a buddy get a photo of the plaque on the wall, but as my first (and only) it's pretty cool to finally see it after 4 years. It actually issued a year ago but I was never notified...just been checking in every few months. It must take a while to show up on the search site because I know I checked this summer and it only had the application.

https://image-ppubs.uspto.gov/dirsearch-public/print/downloadPdf/11530856

Congratulations

Owens' hockey team has done some photos for each of the players in their gear. They were allowed to strike a pose for each. Her are Owens'.

Why yes, I play hockey.
m5Ywh0Ol.jpg

Just try to get past me.
GYniiZkl.jpg

He's so small that most everyone gets past him.

• Haha
Watched a video of some vintage 4X4s doing an "expedition run" somewhere in California, and saw what I was sure was my old '67 Dodge truck, "Big Mo". I was so sure of it that I reached out to the newest owner (it has passed through a few owners since me), and asked if it was. Sure enough was! It was great to see the ol' rig again. Just like finding an old friend... :)

What teeth he's missing are the ones he pulled himself.

My kiddo somehow ended up with 2 extra tooth buds above one of his central incisors. He's in 3rd grade and has lost 6 or 7 teeth but still had one baby tooth right up front that wasn't coming out because of the two extras. Had the main baby tooth and the 2 extra buds pulled yesterday. Bleeding lasted longer than we liked but finally got it stopped last night and he came down at 8 this morning ready to go rake leaves in the back yard. 🤣

Related note...they let us be in the room when they hit him with the propofol and he went under... I'm not sure I recommend a parent watching that. I guess I expected his eyes to close like he was falling asleep and instead they just went limp, wide open staring into space, like I imagine someone looks like when they die. I might have lost it if not for hearing the steady beep from the heart monitor. It was unsettling but it was for his comfort more than for ours so I'm glad he didn't go through it in a room full of strangers.

Officially tomorrow but technically yesterday, I am fully retired.

No longer my circus.
No longer my monkeys.
No longer my problems.

Jeez, it only took 6 years for a 'Mom and Pop' place to evolve from a great place to work into a corporate shitshow. Not gonna miss it.

Officially tomorrow but technically yesterday, I am fully retired.

No longer my circus.
No longer my monkeys.
No longer my problems.

Jeez, it only took 6 years for a 'Mom and Pop' place to evolve from a great place to work into a corporate shitshow. Not gonna miss it.

Congratulations on your retirement, @Cheesy. More time for the DeSoto and the grandkids!