The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread

I called Napa and they confirmed the NTK part numbers for my 97 4.0 listed here have been marked obsolete.

-Mac

I'm trying to remember a discussion in a thread about viable options in the event NTK ever stopped making the o2 sensors for our Jeeps. I want to say it was the Denso that was the next best alternative, or it may have been Delco.

@Chris I any insight, I can't remember if that was discussed in this thread or a different one.

I'm trying to remember a discussion in a thread about viable options in the event NTK ever stopped making the o2 sensors for our Jeeps. I want to say it was the Denso that was the next best alternative, or it may have been Delco.

@Chris I any insight, I can't remember if that was discussed in this thread or a different one.

I can’t recall for certain but I do recall hearing that Denso was a viable alternative.

What are Bank 1, Bank 2, etc.?
Since this question pops up from time-to-time, here's an easy to follow diagram that illustrates what they mean when your OBDII code scanner (or manual) tells you something like "O2 sensor, Bank 1, Sensor 2":

View attachment 12208

What does upstream and downstream mean?
Simple, upstream means the O2 sensor is "upstream" of the catalytic convertors, meaning before the catalytic convertors. Downstream means the O2 sensor is "downstream" of the catalytic convertors, meaning after the catalytic convertors.

What brand of O2 sensors should I use for replacements?
Pay close attention to this one so you can do it once and do it right! The Jeep Wrangler TJ is extremely sensitive to all oxygen sensors other than NGK / NTK. Bosch O2 sensors and all the others (including the crappy Chinese brands you'll buy at your local auto part store) are very well documented as not working properly with our TJs. In other words, you plug them in and you assume all is well, until you notice your check engine light isn't going away. This is almost always due to the fact that you didn't use an NGK / NTK replacement O2 sensor.

Okay, so why don't other sensors (i.e. Bosch) work on our Jeeps?
Glad you asked! Check out this video for a detailed explanation of why other brands of O2 sensors don't work on our TJs:

So which O2 sensors do I need?
I'm going to break down which sensors you need based off what year your TJ is. The part numbers (and information) below were taken directly from the NGK website, so you can assure it is 100% accurate (even double checked each individual year and model before writing this thread).

Be aware that NTK O2 sensors are the same thing as NGK and they share the same part numbers. NTK is owned by NGK, it's simply their division for O2 sensors.

4 Cylinder Engines
1997-2000
NTK #23506 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NTK #23151 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream) (1998 ONLY)​
NTK #23099 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
2001-2004
NTK #23138 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NTK #23141 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
2005-2006
NTK #23159 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NTK #23159 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
6 Cylinder Engines
1997-1999
NTK #23151 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NTK #23099 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​

2000 (Federal Emissions)
NTK #23122 - Bank 1 Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NTK #23099 - Bank 1 Sensor 2 (Downstream)​

2000 (California Emissions)
NTK #23099 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NTK #23506 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NTK #23110 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
NTK #23099 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​

2001-2003
NTK #23139 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NTK #23138 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NTK #23142 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
NTK #23141 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
NTK #23137 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NTK #23135 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NTK #23132 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
NTK #23531 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
2005-2006
NTK #23018 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NTK #23160 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NTK #23159 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
NTK #23158 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​

Misc Installation Notes
When installing new O2 sensors, be certain to use some anti-seize on the threads of the new O2 sensors! This is important, and will save you a huge headache should you ever need to remove them in the future.

In addition, a O2 sensor socket will greatly aide in the installation and removal of O2 sensors. I recommend this one.

Lastly, if you notice your O2 sensor harnesses are not long enough with the new O2 sensors, these O2 sensor extensions will solve the problem.

I replaced my Bank 1, Sensor 2 with the NTK-23159 after having a P0038 Heater Control Circuit High code. Still have a CEL and OBD scan tool still reading same code. Disconnected negative on battery and CEL and code come back immediately. Looking for help.

I replaced my Bank 1, Sensor 2 with the NTK-23159 after having a P0038 Heater Control Circuit High code. Still have a CEL and OBD scan tool still reading same code. Disconnected negative on battery and CEL and code come back immediately. Looking for help.

It could be that you have a wiring issue and there is a short in the wiring somewhere.

Reactions: reddvltj
Today is the second time I have had a "PO138" Sensor error code, both times it has reset and held. Should I be replacing the sensors? I do not know how long they have been installed, my tj is a 2003 Wrangler.

Today is the second time I have had a "PO138" Sensor error code, both times it has reset and held. Should I be replacing the sensors? I do not know how long they have been installed, my tj is a 2003 Wrangler.
Second time in how long? When was the last time you did a "tune up"? What is the condition of your air filter? When (how were you driving) did the CEL come on?

I don't know how much attention you have paid to this thread as of late but even if you don't have any plans to change all of your sensors out right now, I strongly suggest you buy all 4 NTK sensors for your Jeep ASAP. NGK/NTK has stopped making them all together and has no plans (as of now) to bring them back. Be VERY careful getting them from Amazon, check your local parts stores for availability of "NTK", also check Rock Auto. Sensors for all years and configurations for the TJ are becomming harder to find as the remaining over stock dwindles.

Good luck.

Second time in how long? When was the last time you did a "tune up"? What is the condition of your air filter? When (how were you driving) did the CEL come on?

I don't know how much attention you have paid to this thread as of late but even if you don't have any plans to change all of your sensors out right now, I strongly suggest you buy all 4 NTK sensors for your Jeep ASAP. NGK/NTK has stopped making them all together and has no plans (as of now) to bring them back. Be VERY careful getting them from Amazon, check your local parts stores for availability of "NTK", also check Rock Auto. Sensors for all years and configurations for the TJ are becomming harder to find as the remaining over stock dwindles.

Good luck.

Second time in 4 months. Tune up at 65K miles, now has 68K. Air filter K&N clean. I received phone call while driven, immediately let off gas, pulled over and turned engine off to answer phone, when I started again, engine light was on. Thanks for the heads up on NTK sensors, I'll take your advice.

Second time in 4 months. Tune up at 65K miles, now has 68K. Air filter K&N clean. I received phone call while driven, immediately let off gas, pulled over and turned engine off to answer phone, when I started again, engine light was on. Thanks for the heads up on NTK sensors, I'll take your advice.
By all means do get new sensors while you can, but before you replace that sensor, you might try cleaning the connectors, put some dielectric grease in them, and make sure there are no abrasions on the wires anywhere. High voltage reading could be a poor connection at the plug

Last edited:
Reactions: RVAH-13
Has anyone tried the Walker O2 sensors from Rock Auto? I'm getting them for my '98. They say "Walker Products oxygen sensors use an OE base, made at the OEM factories, on the OE production lines for precise fit, form, and function. Walker Products sensors are engineered, assembled, and 100% performance tested in the USA."

I'll be a guinea pig I guess. Especially at $31 each.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5036640&cc=1316023&pt=5132&jsn=865

Has anyone tried the Walker O2 sensors from Rock Auto? I'm getting them for my '98. They say "Walker Products oxygen sensors use an OE base, made at the OEM factories, on the OE production lines for precise fit, form, and function. Walker Products sensors are engineered, assembled, and 100% performance tested in the USA."

Hope you have good luck with them. I needed a couple new bank 2 sensors for my 03 and RockAuto had all 4 NTK, so I snagged them up. I thought seriously about getting a second set and still might. All 4 cost me $120.40
1691299858917.png

Is it confirmed they have stopped making all TJ O2 sensors or just the earlier years? I have an 04 and 05, but don’t want to panic buy 8 sensors for no reason.

Is it confirmed they have stopped making all TJ O2 sensors or just the earlier years? I have an 04 and 05, but don’t want to panic buy 8 sensors for no reason.

That's a good question. I did look on NGK/NTK's website before finding the sensors for my '03 on Rock Auto, and they are not listed there any more. You can't even look them up there to confirm fitment. So it's my understanding that they no longer service the O2 sensors for any TJ.

How did these work out for you?

I've got a

I've got a CEL on with an 0152. Got the walkers in my cart just hoping you can confirm they work before we BOTH waste 130 bucks 😆
The TPS sensor replacement cleared all of my codes including O2 codes. It has 230k miles so I'll change them out anyway.