The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread

FYI...after spending time with NTK tech support. the replacement for the 23506 and the 23099 is one new part number, the 23179. Not sure about others and did not ask since I drive a 97. The only problem is that the supply chain has not caught up as of yet. I got one directly from ngk.com yesterday for about 42 bucks plus shipping. THAT WAS THE LAST ONE, again verified through their distribution center. I think that I read somewhere that Summit is expecting some around November 6.

Reactions: reddvltj
Just a small observation that i thought of sharing with you guys. Even though NTK confirmed that 23179 is the replacement upstream o2 for the discontinued 23506 i have noticed though is that by using their compatibility tool it says that is not compatible with my 2.5l 1997 tj 🤣.

See below:

Screenshot_20230929_224027_Chrome.jpg

While NTK23506 it says is compatible with my car then how is it possible the 23179 showing not compatible if its a replacement model??

Screenshot_20230929_223848_Chrome.jpg

Nevertheless i have send them an email to confirm and i will let you know if its just a bug of the website.

If i dont get a clear answer i might be going for the Denso sensors as some other tj owners confirmed they worked fine for them.

Just a small observation that i thought of sharing with you guys. Even though NTK confirmed that 23179 is the replacement upstream o2 for the discontinued 23506 i have noticed though is that by using their compatibility tool it says that is not compatible with my 2.5l 1997 tj 🤣.

See below:

View attachment 461604

While NTK23506 it says is compatible with my car then how is it possible the 23179 showing not compatible if its a replacement model??

View attachment 461606

Nevertheless i have send them an email to confirm and i will let you know if its just a bug of the website.

If i dont get a clear answer i might be going for the Denso sensors as some other tj owners confirmed they worked fine for them.

I would trust their techs over what the website has to say.

See below:

View attachment 461604

View attachment 461606

Techs verified fitment and also told me that the site is wrong. I already installed one and it is fine. Upstream 97 2.5.

Can verify that the 23179 solved all of my current O2 issues when used to replace the upstream.

Great thanks for the update.
Just want to add that those numbers cross to more applications than just '97 2.5l in case anyone else needs to replace theirs.

@Chris , worth adding to the 1st post?

The 23179 replaces the 23506 and 23099.

Last edited:
Reactions: MountaineerTom
Great thanks for the update.
Just want to add that those numbers cross to more applications than just '97 2.5l in case anyone else needs to replace theirs.

@Chris , worth adding to the 1st post?

The 23179 replaces the 22506 and 23099.

Thanks! I updated the first post. However, I believe you meant to say 23506, not 22506, correct?

I'm still holding out hope that the last person who posted about finding a potential replacement brand reports back with positive results.

23179 has been installed for about a week now. About 40 miles of driving. So far the light has stayed off! 🤞

I'll update again if anything changes. Here's the site I ordered from. The Canadian/US exchange was no different than ordering from a US store. Shipping wasn't really any longer either.

Actually 23560 and 23099 I believe.

No, he was correct, I fixed my post.

Edit: If you are suggesting 23179 replaces 23560 aswell, then I'm sure he can accomodate that. It would be great if you could share a link to where you got that information or if you got it from talking to tech. support.

Last edited:
So I failed smog on my inspection. And had to run all the readiness checks. Got it working with ODB passing. But now check engine came on for P2098. Bank 2 is all it shows. Is that the Bank 2 Downstream from what I see in a google search? I’ll get the NTO one from Advanced Auto. Videos show opening up the wheel well. That the easiest way or can it be done from the top?

So I failed smog on my inspection. And had to run all the readiness checks. Got it working with ODB passing. But now check engine came on for P2098. Bank 2 is all it shows. Is that the Bank 2 Downstream from what I see in a google search? I’ll get the NTO one from Advanced Auto. Videos show opening up the wheel well. That the easiest way or can it be done from the top?
Your 2012 JK should have 4 sensors, Bank1(driver's side), Sensors 1(upstream) and 2(downstream), and Bank 2(passenger side) Sensors 1(up stream) and 2(downstream).

Your code, is triggered by a lean condition detected "after the catayst" on bank 2, which would indicate that Bank 2 sensor 2 is the one triggering the code.
That said, that does not necessarily mean you have a bad O2 sensor.

I wont go as far as to say you wont be able to find an answer in this thread, because TJ owners are known to be pretty diverse in their knowledge base, but again, you are in the TJ forum not the JK forum.

Here's a link to the JK Forum.
https://wranglerjkforum.net/

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the Walker O2 sensors from Rock Auto? I'm getting them for my '98. They say "Walker Products oxygen sensors use an OE base, made at the OEM factories, on the OE production lines for precise fit, form, and function. Walker Products sensors are engineered, assembled, and 100% performance tested in the USA."

I'll be a guinea pig I guess. Especially at $31 each.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5036640&cc=1316023&pt=5132&jsn=865

For those waiting for an update on these, I've recently been driving my Jeep around to get some time on them along with other things. The codes are gone and haven't come back. The Jeep seems to be running well. It's not my daily driver, so I won't really be able to give longer term higher mileage feedback. Just wanted to get out there what I've experienced so far.

See below:

View attachment 461604

View attachment 461606

Hi Guys, just to update everyone, i have decided to move with a Denso upstream sensor (for my 97 2.5L TJ) as i didnt want to wait for NTK23179 to be back in stock and it works perfectly fine for me. All my jerking and hesitation problems belong to the past!
Its been 2 months now i ve been running my TJ with the Denso sensor and everything runs smoothly 🤞.
Hope it helps you in case you are having troubles getting the NTK23179 (especially in Europe)

Last edited:
I couldn't find any info on the threads but I wondering if anyone has used a Denso 02 sensor part# 234-4078 in replacement for the NTK# 23099 Downstream sensor on their 1999 TJ with the 4.0.

At this point it is all trial and error for everyone. As you can see in the last couple of posts before yours, people have been having decent luck with Denso and Walker brand O2 sensors, so all we can do at this point is rely on feedback from people who are trying out the different brands. If enough people have positive results using those 2 brands as time goes on, it might not be a bad idea to have Chris update the 1st post, since availability of NTK is fading fast for our Jeeps.

Hello new to the tj world and looking for some help.

I've got a 2000 sport built 08/99 so it appears to have only 2 sensors my problem is that it looks like the previous owner did a cat delete and I'm not sure if that is problematic for the sensors. I'm not throwing any codes but the idle and gas mileage are off.

Both of the sensors are on the passenger side one next to the motor and the second right past the skid plate before the muffler.

PXL_20231205_164120031.jpg

PXL_20231205_164158112.jpg

Got a code reader? View live data for the O2s and see if they're running up to but not past .9v.

What's the gas mileage? Has it changed for you...or what's the history here? Speedo accurate?

Check for exhaust leaks? Especially cracked headers?

I recently redid all my 97's exhaust, banks headers...old ones broke into pieces on removal...new Magnaflow cat...made most of my down pipe and used a Hooker cat back exhaust.

-Mac

Got a code reader? View live data for the O2s and see if they're running up to but not past .9v.

What's the gas mileage? Has it changed for you...or what's the history here? Speedo accurate?

Check for exhaust leaks? Especially cracked headers?

I recently redid all my 97's exhaust, banks headers...old ones broke into pieces on removal...new Magnaflow cat...made most of my down pipe and used a Hooker cat back exhaust.

-Mac

I just went out with the code reader and got values under .9v

I've only owned this vehicle for about a month. Gas milage is around 9-10MPG but that seems lower than what others are stating 16-18mpg. my tires are 255/75/r17 and my speedometer is accurate maybe +2MPH

No leaks from the downpipe back. I haven't checked the headers yet as the manifold is blocking it.

Sorry new to jeeps my previous vehicles were Subaru and somehow it seems TJs are more picky than a WRX.

thumbnail (1).jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg