The "other" site

I stopped using other forums once I found this one. Like many have said the people here are very knowledgable, respectful and kind. If a repeat question is asked people still answer the question and help everyone out.

Hopefully in a few weeks a couple of us on this forum are going to meet up and go wheeling together.

I really like this forum and am glad I came across it. Thank you Chris and all the supporting members for keeping this going.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I stopped using other forums once I found this one. Like many have said the people here are very knowledgable, respectful and kind. If a repeat question is asked people still answer the question and help everyone out.

Hopefully in a few weeks a couple of us on this forum are going to meet up and go wheeling together.

I really like this forum and am glad I came across it. Thank you Chris and all the supporting members for keeping this going.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
X2. Well said.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
Chris runs a tight ship when it comes to forums. No one likes d-bag comments and you don't have to put up with that in here. This forum is consistent with how Jeep owners think. Its about community and support. In here people are just glad to help. That's what makes it a class act.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use this forum and one for my African Cichlids. I like that there are minimal snarky posts here, not like the multitude of them on the "other site".

Is it me or is there a lot of smart assery and hostility. I read some threads of guys asking questions and if you dont follow a strict protocol they get drug over the coals.

I understand the same questions gets asked over and over, and the search functions on these boards are if anything terrible, but some people are just a$$holes.

Not so much here. Thanks and carry on

~End Rant~

Do a search noob, this has been covered numerous times.

:D

Just kidding. The other forums are lame. This is the only forum I go to for my TJ needs. I may occasionally search for info on the others but I don't bother posting.

There is another forum like this called cherokeetalk and it's pretty much identical to this forum except it's for Cherokees and Grands. They are all nice, patient, and welcoming to any jeeper of any experience level just like this place. I am a mod over there.

Reactions: Chris and Shwane
Funny, been keeping cichlids for years, all central American now.
Not to hijack the thread, but why South American over African? I've had the current cichlid tank for over 5 years now, with the same mated pair of venestus for the entire period. There's many more in there as well, I give all of the offspring to the local pet store because they make lots of babies, haha.

20151116_154751.jpg

20151116_154756.jpg

20160330_084550.jpg

I used to participate in a lot of forums starting in the late 90s when they were first starting to gain traction.

I'm down to 3.

As I see it, most were started by guys like Chris that wanted to connect with like minded people in the brave new world of the WWW.
Those early guys were enthusiastic participants who viewed their sites as a small town. They cared about the site and monitored it and cared for it like a parent.
As time passed, corporations began to see the profit potential and started snatching up all of the "mom and pop" sites. The new overlords didn't give 2 s***s about what was being said or done on those sites as long as the membership and advertising dollars rolled in. Many of those forums were eventually taken over by long-time members who felt that those sites belonged to them and their minions and the corporations let them run rough shod over everyone else, mostly because the admins were the biggest ***holes and the "mgmt" never monitored the site.

This is why many (most?) forums that used to be very active have died or are dying.

Keep up the good work Chris.

Not to hijack the thread, but why South American over African? I've had the current cichlid tank for over 5 years now, with the same mated pair of venestus for the entire period. There's many more in there as well, I give all of the offspring to the local pet store because they make lots of babies, haha.

View attachment 14224
View attachment 14225
View attachment 14226

Very cool!

That middle pix of the fish reminds me of Russell Westbrook for some reason.

Reactions: Bird and Chris
I used to participate in a lot of forums starting in the late 90s when they were first starting to gain traction.

I'm down to 3.

As I see it, most were started by guys like Chris that wanted to connect with like minded people in the brave new world of the WWW.
Those early guys were enthusiastic participants who viewed their sites as a small town. They cared about the site and monitored it and cared for it like a parent.
As time passed, corporations began to see the profit potential and started snatching up all of the "mom and pop" sites. The new overlords didn't give 2 s***s about what was being said or done on those sites as long as the membership and advertising dollars rolled in. Many of those forums were eventually taken over by long-time members who felt that those sites belonged to them and their minions and the corporations let them run rough shod over everyone else, mostly because the admins were the biggest ***holes and the "mgmt" never monitored the site.

This is why many (most?) forums that used to be very active have died or are dying.

Keep up the good work Chris.

You hit the nail on the head. That's how all forums started, by guys like myself who were doing it as a hobby and a passion.

Then the corporations came along and started buying them up so they could make money off of it.

I guess it's the same as a lot of things. Remember when YouTube was free of any ads and wasn't owned by Google? I remember those days... Now when my daughter watches kids shows on YouTube, she has to sit through commercial after commercial just to get to the show.

When the corporations take over and only care about money, then things start to go down hill. IMHO, unless a forum is run by someone who is passionate about it, then it's slowly going to slip.

Remember? Shoot.

I'm old enough to recall when ebay was a giant yard sale, long before it became a retail con man/extortionists paradise.

It really is a shame though. Those were great forums before "they" came along.
FB pages just can't fill the hole.

The upside is that most still have archives that are great resources, even if they suck for camaraderie.

Remember? Shoot.

I'm old enough to recall when ebay was a giant yard sale, long before it became a retail con man/extortionists paradise.

It really is a shame though. Those were great forums before "they" came along.
FB pages just can't fill the hole.

The upside is that most still have archives that are great resources, even if they suck for camaraderie.

I grew up in the 90s, so I too remember eBay in it's infancy... Man that's crazy to look back on now!

Facebook can't fill the hole, I agree completely. So many of the forums I used to visit have just turned to complete crap these days. I stopped visiting almost all of them because of this.

Reactions: Umbra
The worst part of the other forum is someone asking a question, providing an answer, then being told by the person asking that you are wrong. There are many people there that don't know what they are talking about and/or regurgitate misinformation.

The worst part of the other forum is someone asking a question, providing an answer, then being told by the person asking that you are wrong. There are many people there that don't know what they are talking about and/or regurgitate misinformation.

Ahhh, so true. I'll gladly admit when I'm wrong, but some of these guys are wrong, get called out for being wrong, but still continue to spew false information.

Reactions: JeepNWilly
I knew nothing of these jeep forums when I purchased my jeep 12 years ago. I should have done my research, but I didn't. I joined up with JF when I wanted to ask questions about the lift I was installing, and eventually started a build thread there. This was when it was still a mom/pop forum. Can't remember the dudes name, Jeff or something, but after he sold to the corporate monger, things went down hill. I had a significant investment in my build thread and other threads I was following, so it was sad to see things changing for the worse. It got so bad that our local crew started our own local forum so we could at least continue to communicate with other like minded enthusiasts. Now, I only occasionally troll the "other sites", (JF, WF) mostly in the regional threads for local activities. There is still some good tech to be found, but I simply don't have the time these days to weed thru the BS to find it. This forum is a breath of fresh air and I kick myself for not finding it sooner.

I use this and two other forums. If JF or WF come up as a search result, I'll visit, but that's it. I used to visit JF quite a bit, but stopped after they did a major redesign, which made it awful IMHO.

This place is still fairly small, but has VERY knowledge members that are will to help answer any questions they can.

As long as @Chris doesn't sell it, I think it'll stay great and become the leading group for us TJ guys (and gals).

Very cool!

That middle pix of the fish reminds me of Russell Westbrook for some reason.

Lol, now that you mention that @Ahoragi, I see a striking resemblence. How you associated those two is crazy, but seriously, it works!

That breed is called a Super Red Empress, he has since died, which sucks because he was one of my favorites. He lived 4 years, but was killed by the others. That is a characteristic of Chichlids, they are hyper aggresive. Especially the warmer the water is, I keep mine at about 80°, just cool enough to quell the fighting...a bit.

I'm a forum Junky. I love them. I read, a TON. I used to read books growing up, but now I read the internet. Its not uncommon for me to spend a couple hours a night on the computer, just looking stuff up and following the rabbit holes I find. User developed content has literally changed my life. A lot of it is garbage, but you can develop a pretty good nose for BS after a bit. Once you can filter the wheat from the chaff, there is SO much to learn. That being said, I've looked for forums for my big hobbies...There are three that I frequent. One for my garden tractor stuff, one for boating (you guys think jeepers are douches...look at a big boating forum sometime) and then this one. I can tell within about 10 minutes if a forum is worth my time. The other two I frequent are geographically local'ish to me. I've met people from them and feel like a lot of the members are my friends. Even though this site is relatively young, and most of the content comes from the west coast, I still like it because of the overall attitude. Over time, I suspect I'll feel the same way about some of the members here, and as it grows, I'll probably have the chance to meet some of you.