Thoughts on Maxxis tires?

matkal

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Specifically, Maxxis MT-764 Buckshot ll (31-10.50/15). I was looking at Inexpensive mud tires and these came up. I was surprised how cheap they are, I thought Maxxis was an at least mid level tire.

Anyone have experience with these tires? I like the look of a mud tire, I don’t drive in the snow and don’t see myself putting on more than 5k miles per year . Some of my driving would be interstate for 100-300 miles at a stretch at most maybe in the rain on the way to off-road areas
772DA6C4-513F-44DB-A940-3F1C6D413743.jpeg

Last edited:
No personal experience here either. But I just finished doing a ton of online tire research. Maxxis generally gets great reviews. I was dead set on getting the Maxxis Razr MT but they only make an E-rated version in the size I wanted.

Reactions: matkal
I have no experience with the Maxxis MT-764 "Buckshot." However, I run a LT255/85R16 Maxxis MT-762 Bighorn as a "pizza cutter" spare for my "metric 35's". It seems to be a good mid-range tire and it balanced with little weight, but mine will probably never need to be used (knock on wood) so I can't give a performance evaluation.

I will say that based upon the online reviews and my physical inspection of the tire as a spare, if the size is right and the "Bigshot" has the tread you want/need and you are on a budget, a Maxxis tire might be a good choice for you. (Mastercraft is another good mid-range brand to consider if you are on a budget.)

Mid-range tires typically don't last as long as premium brands but sometimes getting a set of new tires today is more important than how a more expensive tire might look 5 years from now.

Maxxis MT-762 Bighorn
71IvtHqSUAL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

Last edited:
I have no experience with the Maxxis MT-764 "Buckshot." However, I run a LT255/85R16 Maxxis MT-762 Bighorn as a "pizza cutter" spare for my "metric 35's". It seems to be a good mid-range tire and it balanced with little weight, but mine will probably never need to be used (knock on wood) so I can't give a performance evaluation.

I will say that based upon the online reviews and my physical inspection of the tire as a spare, if the size is right and the "Bigshot" has the tread you want/need and you are on a budget, a Maxxis tire might be a good choice for you. (Mastercraft is another good mid-range brand to consider if you are on a budget.)

Mid-range tires typically don't last as long as premium brands but sometimes getting a set of new tires today is more important than how a more expensive tire might look 5 years from now.
Master craft is a brand I’ve been looking at as well. As far as mileage goes I’m guessing that my tires will dry rot before they wear out🤷
The Maxxis are about the same price asMud Claws.

I can't speak for the quality of either brand but Pro Comp and Mickey Thompson are both 25% off at 4wd.com. Also, based on my research, Falken Wildpeak M/T seem to be a good bang for your buck.

I don't know that style, but I've put 35k on Maxxis bighorns. They were decent tires, wet pavement not so much but overall good traction. They will cup fast if you don't stay on top of rotations religiously. And their a little noisy for a MT, if that matters to you. I have them in the 32x11.5R15 flavor.

You might look at the nankang mudstar, it's a copy of the buckshot 1 and I've been running it for a few months. The 32 is just about 31 or a bit big for a real 31 but it's held up to some real abuse. Your friends will make fun of you for sure.

Specifically, Maxxis MT-764 Buckshot ll (31-10.50/15). I was looking at Inexpensive mud tires and these came up. I was surprised how cheap they are, I thought Maxxis was an at least mid level tire.

Anyone have experience with these tires? I like the look of a mud tire, I don’t drive in the snow and don’t see myself putting on more than 5k miles per year . Some of my driving would be interstate for 100-300 miles at a stretch at most maybe in the rain on the way to off-road areas View attachment 146162

I have run the Maxxis Bighorns on my 06 Cummins, currently running 30x9.50 Bighorns on my TJ and they seem to wear pretty well. I am currently running the MT-764 Buckshot ll (DOT 6 ply LT tires) on my side by side, I've put about 1000 miles on them so far and they have decent traction and great road manners.. Granted they are only 27x 8.50s but I never bothered to balance them and they run very smooth on a 1000 lb UTV at 65mph down the highway... Needless to say I am very happy with them.

1584244746461.png

Last edited:
a friend at work claimed his buck shots hummed on the road under his P/U. but that's a heavy vehicle running higher tire pressure also.

those treps are stupid cool looking but the cost is way above what will also work very well for most applications.

Reactions: matkal and reddvltj
a friend at work claimed his buck shots hummed on the road under his P/U. but that's a heavy vehicle running higher tire pressure also.

those treps are stupid cool looking but the cost is way above what will also work very well for most applications.
I can verify your coworkers claim, they are not a quiet tire especially on a 3/4 ton diesel truck. I don't really notice much tire noise on my TJ with the 30x9.50s and a soft top... I'm betting the wind noise drowns most of the tire hum out.

Had bighorns on my F350. I liked them and they worked well, good mileage considering how heavy the truck is, crew cab long bed diesel.

Had Creepy Crawlers on my FJ40, these were no the comp compound but were super sticky and worked great! Not cheap.

Had bighorns on both my SXS’s...worked great too! I’d buy with confidence, good company making good products.

Reactions: Raymund and matkal