Tips in preparation to install SYE?

I replaced everything when I rebuilt mine & replaced nothing extra when I did my JB super short later.
I actually didn’t replace anything. The chain looked good as did all the other parts.

Looks like it spins fine. I was trying to run through the gears but it was a bit tough. I was trying to use the black short lever piece from the cable shifter. Got it to shift once. I don’t think I have enough leverage. Is there a easier way to test this? Before I closed it up I did make sure everything was back in place.

Edit: also is there a way to know which gear I’m in? I I can’t tell if its in 2hi 4Hi N 4Lo.
Put an adjustable wrench on the t-case shift lever. Turn the output to the rear axle while trying to shift it. Watch the front shaft and the input shaft. The input will turn the same rate as the output in 2 hi and the front output will not turn. In 4 high, the front output, the rear output and the input will turn the same rate. In neutral, turning the input doesn't turn anything else. In 4 low, the input turns 2.72 times for every turn of the outputs to front and rear.

Reactions: jazngab
Put an adjustable wrench on the t-case shift lever. Turn the output to the rear axle while trying to shift it. Watch the front shaft and the input shaft. The input will turn the same rate as the output in 2 hi and the front output will not turn. In 4 high, the front output, the rear output and the input will turn the same rate. In neutral, turning the input doesn't turn anything else. In 4 low, the input turns 2.72 times for every turn of the outputs to front and rear.
Thanks. That helped a lot. About to reinstall back in the Jeep but the last thing that’s tricky is how can I torque the front and rear yoke bolts? The shafts keep spinning on me. Is there a trick to keeping it locked so I can torque them down?

Thanks @Jerry Bransford So I’m reinstalling it now and noticed the output shaft from the transmission is dry. Is this normal? Is it supposed to be lubricated at all?

F195C5F3-7194-49AD-928F-F0BC06B56FAF.jpeg

You can put a bit of grease on the splines, no big deal. should have suggested that it's easier & faster to install a SYE if you leave the TC bolted to the transmission during the installation. :)
I think you’re the only person who preferred to install it while it’s under the Jeep. 99% of the ones who had input on it said put it on a bench. Actually after finishing it, i think doing it under the Jeep without a lift would be a PITA being it was my first time doing it.

Reactions: Vasq
I think you’re the only person who preferred to install it while it’s under the Jeep. 99% of the ones who had input on it said put it on a bench.
That depends on who's offering the opinion. I was ready to remove mine but mrblaine, who was there supervising, insisted it was significantly faster and easier to leave the front half bolted to the transmission. Once we were done I saw the benefits. At least in my group of acquaintances and friends most agree it's faster and easier not to remove it. Not to mention it is held in place so you're not having to also hold onto it while disassembling/reassembling it. Just an opinion, it of course can be done either way. :)

Reactions: EzPeezy and Vasq
That depends on who's offering the opinion. I was ready to remove mine but mrblaine, who was there supervising, insisted it was significantly faster and easier to leave the front half bolted to the transmission. Once we were done I saw the benefits. At least in my group of acquaintances and friends most agree it's faster and easier not to remove it. Not to mention it is held in place so you're not having to also hold onto it while disassembling/reassembling it. Just an opinion, it of course can be done either way. :)
Now that I’ve done mine I wouldn’t be opposed to trying it that way.....but hopefully its on someone else’s tj and not mine lol

After doing mine on the bench i can see how it would be quicker to leave it in the jeep. It's a better workout to pull it though💪
It was kinda heavy. Putting it back on solo was fun. I will say removing it was only 6 more bolts so it wasn’t that much more work to remove it. And my neck and back probably appreciate that it was done on a work bench.

Just to update the thread....I finally completed the SYE and all the mods that it entails. That includes the SYE kit, driveshaft, adjustable rear upper control arms, and rear adjustable track bar and relocation bracket. Decided I didn’t need adjustable lower control arms for my 2” lift since the stock arms are already 16” which is approximate length I would run. My uppers measure at about 14”. My DS angle measured at 16-17* and my pinion is set to about 15*. My lower spring perches are about 1mm away from my shocks so there is no contact there luckily. Decided to pick up the JKS relocation and adj rear track bar to prevent any binding. I also didn’t like the tension the stock bar was most likely under especially after rotating the axle. Driving the Jeep, it feels much much better. Vibration free. My side mirrors and stick shift don't shake violently anymore. The transfer case works perfect in each gear. I’m glad I decided to go ahead and do the SYE. And thank you all for the encouragement to do it myself. It’s a great feeling for sure. 👍🏾

I just took my case apart tonight to install mine. I found a bad front output shaft pilot bearing which is going to be fun trying to remove. Going to try and get a slide hammer in to grab it. What did you all use for the pinion washer on the front yoke (the black sprocket shaped one). Mine was pretty chewed up and my sye didn’t include a replacement. I guess I need to order one?

I just took my case apart tonight to install mine. I found a bad front output shaft pilot bearing which is going to be fun trying to remove. Going to try and get a slide hammer in to grab it. What did you all use for the pinion washer on the front yoke (the black sprocket shaped one). Mine was pretty chewed up and my sye didn’t include a replacement. I guess I need to order one?
Got any pics?

Got any pics?

Here is the bearing that feels a little "gritty" and the shaft has some lateral play. I have a replacement on order but not too sure how to get this one out without a special tool.

IMG_1372.jpeg

Here is the star yoke washer. I'm a little surprised it isn't mentioned in any of the instructions or youtube vidoes. So curious what others have done in their install.

IMG_1373.jpeg

I have a new one on order.

Unknown.jpg

Here is the bearing that feels a little "gritty" and the shaft has some lateral play. I have a replacement on order but not too sure how to get this one out without a special tool.

View attachment 125999

Here is the star yoke washer. I'm a little surprised it isn't mentioned in any of the instructions or youtube vidoes. So curious what others have done in their install.

View attachment 126000

I have a new one on order.

View attachment 126001
To tell you the truth I don’t think I even noticed those bearings. And as far as that star rubber washer, doesn’t the SYE kit come with a brand new one? If I had one in my TC it definitely did not look chewed up like yours.