Tips on ordering a new F350

Not stupid. It was the first new vehicle I've ever bought and asked a lot of questions too. Not you can't. Everything is packages. Want rain sensing windshield wipers? You also get a heated steering wheel. Want LED lights? You also get a back up camera.
I ran into this issue when I tried to option out an f150. I did not need all the bells and whistles, just wanted an xl with towing options and the 5.0L. I did want to keep the better infotainment system but it would not let me add it without upgrading to an xlt. Ended up finding a truck at a local dealer with everything I wanted plus the STX trim for less than trying to option it online. The only thing it did not have was the extended range fuel tank, but I may add that down the line.

It's also a very common occurence with GM K trucks. I don't want to even attempt to remember how many I have done.
Do you guys think it is due to the corrosive nature of DEF? I noticed the one time I filled a tank, it left a crystally white residue all over. My local shop here in so cal can do a DEF delete but we now have to smog our diesels here in cali.

Do you guys think it is due to the corrosive nature of DEF? I noticed the one time I filled a tank, it left a crystally white residue all over. My local shop here in so cal can do a DEF delete but we now have to smog our diesels here in cali.
The white crystalized residue is normal.
Although it's not an approved procedure but is fairly accurate. you can tell if def fluid is tainted by pouring a small amount on the floor and letting it evaporate. if it crystalizes its good. GM has a test tool, but the floor method is accurate.
I could never get a straight answer from TAC (technical assistance) as to what causes the repeated failures that we deal with.
99% of the time it's the tank heater which is part of the pump assembly. I've replaced numerous DEF injectors along with the NOX sensors.
Warranty repairs require long lengthy test procedures for the DEF system. It's a pain in the ass. The repairs are also followed up with a "service regen" to verify the repair is completed. The "service regent" takes anywhere from 30-60 minutes to complete.
I despise working on them. They are dirty and everything is really involved. Most engine repairs require the removal of the cab.
There are many one time use bolts and fuel lines.
Most people that own diesel trucks have no business owning them. They don't drive them long enough or hard enough to get them to do a "regen." they run them out of DEF fluid all the time. There are 10 Def system warning alerts depending on the system, level 7 thru 10 involve speed limitation all the way down to 4mph.
I wouldn't want to own one especially after the warranty runs out. The fuel injectors alone are close to 1K a piece and that doesn't include the labor.
Turbo replacement on the older ones suck because the cab need to come off. The newer ones you can squeak out.

RANT over.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: WSS and Zorba
Warranty repairs require long lengthy test procedures for the DEF system. It's a pain in the ass. The repairs are also followed up with a "service regen" to verify the repair is completed. The "service regent" takes anywhere from 30-60 minutes to complete.
I despise working on them. They are dirty and everything is really involved. Most engine repairs require the removal of the cab.

williambmac, do you have an opinion on EGR,DPF, DEF delete kits for Ford's 6.7 diesel? On paper, it seems deleted vehicles should have fewer problems.

williambmac, do you have an opinion on EGR,DPF, DEF delete kits for Ford's 6.7 diesel? On paper, it seems deleted vehicles should have fewer problems.
I worked for GM and really don’t have much experience with the delete kits.
We sold 4 diesel Colorado’s to a local parts warehouse. The owner did delete kits and programming updates on all of them. He removed everything including the particulate filters, basically straight pipe back to the muffler. He said they run much better.
We had to void the warranty on all of them.

I worked for GM and really don’t have much experience with the delete kits.
We sold 4 diesel Colorado’s to a local parts warehouse. The owner did delete kits and programming updates on all of them. He removed everything including the particulate filters, basically straight pipe back to the muffler. He said they run much better.
We had to void the warranty on all of them.
Same thing in kali. Dealers will not do "deletes".

It looks like Ford will stop taking truck orders with most of the options including 5th wheel prep. Of course, aftermarket is still an option at a higher expense and different warranty.

It looks like Ford will stop taking truck orders with most of the options including 5th wheel prep. Of course, aftermarket is still an option at a higher expense and different warranty.
Too bad, it seems they just can't keep up with the demand for all those features.

Too bad, it seems they just can't keep up with the demand for all those features.

Yup. Very little scheduling in the last month. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up pushing all current orders back another month (to 7-9mo).

And who knows what's going to happen to the price of catalytic converters... Diesel only soon?

Yup. Very little scheduling in the last month. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up pushing all current orders back another month (to 7-9mo).

And who knows what's going to happen to the price of catalytic converters... Diesel only soon?
Hopefully yours comes sooner rather than later.

I'm good with diesel only.

Reactions: Zorba
My brother just got notification his new truck shipped. He bought it last August and paid for it in December for business tax purposes.

The dealer loaned him a 2019 that we'll drive to Moab since his isn't in yet. Then sell that used truck for $6000 less than my brother paid for his new truck last year.

Weird world we live in.

Reactions: WSS and Apparition