Tire Balance Bead Question

Flivver250

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I am wondering if anyone has ever checked their tires on a spin balancer after installing balance beads? Did it show that the tire was in balance? Third question, do you balance your tires the conventional way then add balance beads or are the beads a stand alone product?

Most spin balancers don't spin fast enough to have the balance beads work. I added airsoft pellets after the dynamic spin balance didn't work well enough. Still wondering what I'll do next set of tires.

The 0.25 gr airsoft pellets worked great.

I have them in my tires and the ride feels out of balance.
How much did you add? I added quite a bit more than "recommended." One of my MTR's became way out of balance. Tire shop refused to add that much weight. The tire had a huge amount of tread so I didn't want to trash it without trying.

I've read one ounce per 13 pounds should be added which would be 5 ounces for a 65 lb tire. That would be only 0.5% of the tire weight--that doesn't seem like enough. I went with a little over 1%.

I have airsoft bb’s in mine that I’m going to remove. I don’t think they work on my MTR’s that well but I guess we’ll see after I remove them. They did work pretty good on my bias Iroks though.

I’ve used them in the past with big tires and beadlocks. MT/R’s, old style, 37 and 40” likes lot of bb’s, seemed to balance out past 35-40 mph.

Iroks were better, creepy crawlers balanced the best but those were 39’s and on beadlocks on a 108” FJ40, heavy mods so it wasn’t a DD.
Both my rigs today have 33’s and both have locks, but I get them road force balanced without issue.

if I went large tires again I’d go back to bb’s.