Tire carrier recommendations / advice needed

jeep.rookie

I’m looking to buy a tire carrier that will hold a 35x12.50r15 tire. I’m not sure if I should be looking for a bumper/tire carrier combo or just a tire carrier for now. I currently have a stock rear bumper. I’m okay with not replacing the bumper yet, but I definitely need to get a tire carrier.

I’ve seen the tire carriers that mount to the body and tailgate and swing out with the tailgate as one piece. That seems convenient and sturdy. I’ve also seen the carriers that are designed to rest on the bumper. My hesitation with those is that I’ve read some reviews that say those can rattle if you hit bumps.

I can put about $400-500 toward the carrier or carrier/bumper combo. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What kind of wheeling do you do? Most of the guys I know that get vertical regret a swingout as it drags/hangs up and tend to end up buying a reenforced tailgate option instead, pulling the wheel as far in as possible. The bumpers with swing outs that are <$500 seem to start to rattle, sag, and generally cause a not to pleasant time (like using a mallet to open and latch it).

To that direction there is the Moryde and Exogate, I believe.

Last edited:
No wheeling yet. I’m completely new to jeeps. I don’t know that I’ll get into any heavy wheeling in the near future, probably only mild/moderate at some point.

Jeep is a second vehicle that will primarily be used on the street for now.

Until you know the actual need, I’d not spend the money and throw it in an envelope until you do. Around town you can skate by without a spare (worst case is an annoyance). Throwing money at a Jeep of possible needs would bankrupt you.

Reactions: Honeybadger

I've seen the Exogate and MORryde mentioned quite a few times as I've been looking around today.I'm assuming this MORryde is the same thing as the Exogate. I saw an older thread on the forums that seemed to confirm that they are the same.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/morryde-tailgate-reinforcement-kit-9706.html

And I understand your earlier point about waiting to buy things when you know exactly what you need. But I do drive the jeep beyond just around town. So if I'm a couple of hours away from home, I'd definitely feel better about having a spare with me. We also have a little bit of everything near me here in the south (mountains, woods, mud, etc.), so even if I don't do any heavy wheeling right off the bat, it would be nice to have that spare with me for any mild/moderate wheeling in the near future. I agree that the one you mentions seems like it would be a good choice.

Reactions: hyperdub808
It’s my understanding they are indeed the same, I’d find the best deal (which last I think I looked it was extreme terrain). I prefer having a spare too :)

Reactions: hyperdub808
I had an exogate on my 99. Just make sure to space all the rubber stops out to the tire. I did the 2 top ones and the one just above the bumper. No rattles at all.
68B89E18-0F67-4960-ACAF-9B0B46E6A0D4.jpeg

I’m looking to buy a tire carrier that will hold a 35x12.50r15 tire. I’m not sure if I should be looking for a bumper/tire carrier combo or just a tire carrier for now. I currently have a stock rear bumper. I’m okay with not replacing the bumper yet, but I definitely need to get a tire carrier.

I’ve seen the tire carriers that mount to the body and tailgate and swing out with the tailgate as one piece. That seems convenient and sturdy. I’ve also seen the carriers that are designed to rest on the bumper. My hesitation with those is that I’ve read some reviews that say those can rattle if you hit bumps.

I can put about $400-500 toward the carrier or carrier/bumper combo. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Check out DIRTWORX. Excellent construction for a good price. Great customer service as well.

0F9A7219-2607-4DF4-9A21-22CA347E583F.jpeg

I had an exogate on my 99. Just make sure to space all the rubber stops out to the tire. I did the 2 top ones and the one just above the bumper. No rattles at all.
X4

I just added snubbed extenders and made my own reinforcement plate. Works like a charm with my 33x12.5's
20191003_172426.jpg
20191003_172408.jpg