Tire carrier recommendations / advice needed

I went ahead and ordered the MORryde kit, which seems to be the same as Exogate. I wouldn't mind saving the money with the bumper mounted setup, but I figured it's worth the extra money to not have to open the tire carrier independently of the tailgate.

@jjvw do you remember the website you purchased your morryde exogate from? I cant remember the site

There are pros and cons to the different tire carriers. I have a Rock Hard 4X4 bumper/tire carrier. It is made very well and doesn't rattle. That being said, It is also very heavy (130-140 lbs). It also allows me to carry my CO2 tank on it and get it out of the interior of the Jeep. One thing I wish I knew when I got into Jeeping, is keep an eye on how much accessories weigh. My Jeep is weighing a lot and is starting to tax my engine. I may be changing to another tire carrier that was mentioned in previous posts.

Is that the price for the whole thing? Or is that specifically the reinforcement kit as mentioned? Like the bits and pieces that are mounted inside utilizing the sport bar?

That's the one from my invoice. Hinges and reenforcement plates. All that is missing is the factory style tire mount and rubber snubbers.

Reactions: mattcogdell
Hi all! I got myself and exogate. Any advice on how to get the torx screws out from the stock hinges? I stripped one already and am so pissed at myself.
See pictures. I tried heating one up with a heat gun. Guess I have to use a blowtorch?

81F463DE-03F3-4563-ACD0-85DC453804F0.jpeg

Hi all! I got myself and exogate. Any advice on how to get the torx screws out from the stock hinges? I stripped one already and am so pissed at myself.
See pictures. I tried heating one up with a heat gun. Guess I have to use a blowtorch?

The none- stripped ones, I always start with a hand held impact driver (the oldschool ones you smack with a hammer)
The stripped ones, I drill the head off, remove the part, then kroil the threads and remove with vice grips. Once I had to weld a nut on. If you're removing a part like a hing, and you very carefully just drill off the head, there should be enough sticking out to grab or weld to... worst case, drill and extract.

Drill the countersunk heads off with the biggest drillbit you can - you don't want to drill the shaft away.

Reactions: Igoo65
The none- stripped ones, I always start with a hand held impact driver (the oldschool ones you smack with a hammer)
The stripped ones, I drill the head off, remove the part, then kroil the threads and remove with vice grips. Once I had to weld a nut on. If you're removing a part like a hing, and you very carefully just drill off the head, there should be enough sticking out to grab or weld to... worst case, drill and extract.

Drill the countersunk heads off with the biggest drillbit you can - you don't want to drill the shaft away.

Keep in mind that all of these torx fasteners use a thread locking compound. Heat softens it.

Reactions: 707kevin

+1 torches and paint just don't play well together.