Tire Carrier With Protection?

Beachhead

Supporting Member
Awhile back my Jeep was hit in the rear, it had a unknown brand/smittybilt style steel tire carrier on the back with the full 33" spare on it. Tire pushed forward and broke the back window on my hard top, smashed the tailgate, etc.

Working on getting all this repaired and I need a new tire carrier. I was looking at the "rock hard" brand carrier, but unsure if that will give me any more rear damage protection than what I already had. Is there any tire carrier that won't bend in as easily or provide rear protection better than that style? I've seen the large cage style also but It seems like those will just push the whole tub forward instead.

Thanks.

I don't think there's really any product that's going to do much to mitigate damage in a rear impact situation of any significance. Many here, myself included, favor the MORryde tailgate system that strengthens the tailgate and tire carrier. Not sure I'd suggest it'll do much to reduce damage in a rear impact situation, but I don't think you'd do any worse than a swing away bumper/carrier setup, while reducing weight and eliminating the need to open 2 things every time you want access to the rear of the Jeep.

https://www.morryde.com/products-cat/reinforcement/

Reactions: JMT
Not sure a better bumper or tire carrier will help you...TJs are not that robust.

All I can say is make sure your significant other is paying attention when following you on the freeway.

-Mac