Tired of seeing knock off products pushed here

Only good news 3 years later. As to the Metric/Imperial thing. I live in Canada and bought both sets from Snap On in the 1970s when we went Metric... so Metric/Imperial... no difference for me. 40 years of conditioning. I have zero complaints on anything from Warn, most of my rigging is Warn too.

Theres only like 3 countries in the world that are not metric. The USA, Burma & Liberia. For everyone else, metric is the standard.
Well, maybe only two...Burma is now Myanmar. Hey, the USA is almost at the top of the heap!

As an example I chose Dirtworx brand for my front and rear bumpers. Not the fanciest design with the latest look but it is an American made product and by buying it I become part of the solution not part of the problem.

As an example I chose Dirtworx brand for my front and rear bumpers. Not the fanciest design with the latest look but it is an American made product and by buying it I become part of the solution not part of the problem.
Being that the Currie V-bumper is nothing but a dream for me (out of production, sadly), I will be buying the Dirtworx, as well.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
The same people who buy imported crap are the same ones who bitch about their taxes going up to help cover the laid off employees who don't have jobs because their company sent production overseas. Pay more upfront for a quality Made in the USA product or pay less for crap now and then pay higher taxes later. We haven't discussed the secondary effect on the economy when US manufactures buy their raw materials local, hire local contractors, maintenance, custodial, utilities, insurance, corporate and property taxes. To me, most people are self focused and short sighted.
It's not possible to make a blanket statement like that any longer. Are you posting on a 100% US made computer? Do you have a camera? Cell phone? Eat tropical fruit in the winter? Eat chocolate? Goods and services are global and have been for a long time. Should we try and buy American made products? Absolutely. There is just no way to do it exclusively, or even in the majority, any longer.

It is my opinion (and I really would prefer not to get roasted for simply stating my opinion...), but I cannot help but feel that we, the buying public, did this to ourselves. How many of us had our fathers or grandfathers tell us "You get what you pay for"? Well, it seems that these days, more people want to save a buck and buy the cheapest (excuse me...I meant, "inexpensive") product they can at WallyWorld, rather than pay a little more for a superior product.

I remember when I was younger Walmart would have made in the USA ads all over the air.

Here is my personal opinion mainly because I was born in basically a 3rd world country. The culture here in the US is that basically throw away and buy new mentality. Basically if it breaks or a new shiny one is out throw the old one away. In Cuba we did no have that luxury. I remember even after we arrived here in the USA my dad would always try and fix a broken product no matter what is was instead of buying a new one one. 99.9% of the time he would have success in fixing them. He would always buy a good quality product and it would last many years. If you think about it it does not pay for companies to make bullet proof products like in the old days because if no one is replacing them they can't sell more so they choose to build in china for far less money the products are they throw away and people go ahead and buy new ones. I do not blame the consumer I blame the manufacturers.

It's not possible to make a blanket statement like that any longer. Are you posting on a 100% US made computer? Do you have a camera? Cell phone? Eat tropical fruit in the winter? Eat chocolate? Goods and services are global and have been for a long time. Should we try and buy American made products? Absolutely. There is just no way to do it exclusively, or even in the majority, any longer.
Exactly also those made in the USA claims probably use supplies from over seas. Steel is one of the supplies that come from over seas. The US does produce steel but China is by far the largest producer. Do we know where the steel that Dirtworx uses comes from?

If you think about it it does not pay for companies to make bullet proof products like in the old days because if no one is replacing them they can't sell more so they choose to build in china for far less money the products are they throw away and people go ahead and buy new ones.

It's called "Planned Obsolescence", and it's probably been around longer than you or I have. The auto manufacturers were some of the first to use this strategy to their advantage. It sucks for folks like you and your father and I, but it is a business strategy that is here to stay. And yes, I can attribute some of the blame to the manufacturers, as well, but I stand by my assertion that the buying public is also to be held accountable.

Only good news 3 years later. As to the Metric/Imperial thing. I live in Canada and bought both sets from Snap On in the 1970s when we went Metric... so Metric/Imperial... no difference for me. 40 years of conditioning. I have zero complaints on anything from Warn, most of my rigging is Warn too.

Theres only like 3 countries in the world that are not metric. The USA, Burma & Liberia. For everyone else, metric is the standard.
I think you missed my point
What I was saying is that Warn products are not exclusive to USA. They outsource.

I am glad you didn't have issues with your Warn winch. I didn't either despite half of it came from China. My point was that you cannot buy exclusively from US anymore. I mean you probably can, but the list is getting shorter and shorter.

I have been a mechanic most of my life so I too have metric and standard tools, but I am finding now that parts are coming half US and half metric. example my m8000 winch.

Bad news for you the m8000 mechanical part is made in USA but the Solenoid pack is metric. In fact I had to use both metric and standard tools to install mine a month ago.

It was actually a mess too. I got the winch in the original box, everything was sealed, but half the bolts were metric and half were standard and there was a hodgepodge of them. They were in a sealed bag, but there was not a whole set of either. I had to run to the hardware store to complete sets. It came with more mismatched nuts and bolts than I actually had holes for. Same goes with the Warn bumper. Not a matching set of hardware in the package. Nothing was opened when I received it, so it wasn't pillaged. I just figured poor QC especially since the powder coat was horrible on the bumper. I have to say If I didn't own a Warn previously, I would have been seriously disappointed. The fact the winch itself was standard leads me to believe that the winch is still manufactured here with the same quality it used to have, but the peripherals sure don't seem to be.
Judging the quality of a product by whether it has metric or SAE hardware is a poor metric at best. If you use that logic, you may consider selling your TJ because it is the biggest conglomeration of mixed SAE and Metric I've seen. Two of the worst examples are the 3 screws that hold on the taillights. The head is 10mm and the threads are 12-24. The second is some of the starters. One bolt is SAE, the other is Metric.

FYI, the last Warn I installed a few days ago, had both metric and SAE and I didn't give it a second thought because I thought it was nice they finally upped the fastener size from 3/8" to 12mm to hold the winch to the plate.

And yes, I can attribute some of the blame to the manufacturers, as well, but I stand by my assertion that the buying public is also to be held accountable.

I've stated similar for years. It is the mantra of the American buying public by and large. No one hardly ever brags about how much more they paid, instead they brag because they went to the local dealership and beat the salesman out of another 300 bucks on a 30,000 dollar purchase.

Reactions: Squatch
Judging the quality of a product by whether it has metric or SAE hardware is a poor metric at best. If you use that logic, you may consider selling your TJ because it is the biggest conglomeration of mixed SAE and Metric I've seen. Two of the worst examples are the 3 screws that hold on the taillights. The head is 10mm and the threads are 12-24. The second is some of the starters. One bolt is SAE, the other is Metric.

FYI, the last Warn I installed a few days ago, had both metric and SAE and I didn't give it a second thought because I thought it was nice they finally upped the fastener size from 3/8" to 12mm to hold the winch to the plate.

Again, I don't think I am getting my point across.

I am simply saying that nothing is made exclusively in the US. I know "nothing" is general and I think that is where my diction is getting misconstrued, but I didn't say my winch was good or bad. In fact I said despite that it was metric and standard, I have had no issues with it.

I used the winch as an example because someone stated that they by warn because it is made in the US. I was only trying to make a point that not all of it was is all.

I personally don't have a problem with things over seas. I try and buy quality parts where ever they come from.

Amen Sir! Fastener combinations can drive you crazy.

The metric/std thread problems used to come in regularly on the GM cars when they started the “metrification” program about 1977 with the B and C bodies. To change a water pump on a small block Cheavy engine you needed a big hand full of both metric and std wrenches. If the bolt went into the engine block it was std. thread. If it threaded into an accessory such as an alternator or PS pump it was metric. I guess it was easier to change the threads in the accessories than in the block.

No kidding, and don't forget all the damn Torx!

No kidding, and don't forget all the damn Torx!
Anyone that knows and understands fasteners has no issue with Torx as they are the superior drive system. It's a whole bunch easier to understand if you have any construction back ground and used to be able to only get square or Phillips drive screws. Nowadays construction screws come in Torx and no one ever goes back to Phillips after using them just once. I was ecstatic when I found them.

Anyone that knows and understands fasteners has no issue with Torx as they are the superior drive system. It's a whole bunch easier to understand if you have any construction back ground and used to be able to only get square or Phillips drive screws. Nowadays construction screws come in Torx and no one ever goes back to Phillips after using them just once. I was ecstatic when I found them.
No problem with them, just the constant switching back and forth between them all gets annoying.

I've stated similar for years. It is the mantra of the American buying public by and large. No one hardly ever brags about how much more they paid, instead they brag because they went to the local dealership and beat the salesman out of another 300 bucks on a 30,000 dollar purchase.

300 bucks?? Lolz

E6EC4F29-A0F5-4FBA-9431-9017FF4197B3.jpeg
Is this the knockoff product your tired of seeing here

It is my opinion (and I really would prefer not to get roasted for simply stating my opinion...), but I cannot help but feel that we, the buying public, did this to ourselves. How many of us had our fathers or grandfathers tell us "You get what you pay for"? Well, it seems that these days, more people want to save a buck and buy the cheapest (excuse me...I meant, "inexpensive") product they can at WallyWorld, rather than pay a little more for a superior product. Do I feel the U.S. used to make superior products? Damn right, I do. And I had the option of buying them. And I exercised that right whenever possible. Know what? I've been ridiculed for being frivolous and blowing money when X-company sells the same thing so much cheaper. Well, guess what? It's not the same thing. More times than not, it's an inferior product in one way or another, and you'll end up replacing it far sooner than you'd like. So when more folks are willing to do just that...buy, replace, repeat...than to buy a quality product to begin with because it costs more up front, then we end up in the hole we're in now. I have a helluva time just trying to find American made products to purchase, now. And when I do find 'em, I pay dearly. The last big example was brake rotors for my 3/4 ton Dodge. I paid $156 each for the U.S. made product. The guy behind the counter was floored because I would not buy the $36 Chinese rotors. Unfortunately, his reaction is the norm, these days, and we're all paying the price, one way or another. Rant over...
Nailed it.

Reactions: Squatch
No problem with them, just the constant switching back and forth between them all gets annoying.
What difference does it make? You're switching back and forth between 9/16, 3/8, 10mm, Phillips, 13/16, 3/4 anyway, what difference does it make whether you grab a T-40 or a 3/8" combination wrench? You're still digging in the tool drawer, it is that much effort to move over 4" and grab another size?

What difference does it make? You're switching back and forth between 9/16, 3/8, 10mm, Phillips, 13/16, 3/4 anyway, what difference does it make whether you grab a T-40 or a 3/8" combination wrench? You're still digging in the tool drawer, it is that much effort to move over 4" and grab another size?
Valid point