Tired of seeing knock off products pushed here

I think you missed my point
What I was saying is that Warn products are not exclusive to USA.
Yes,

The M Series are mostly USA made M8000, $725.00. The VR exclusively offshore made VR 8000 $500.00. You get what you pay for.

I doubt anything is 100% Made in the USA anymore. AEV tried to do that with wheels but finally had to go offshore to get them sold. AEV found it was impossible to sell at a competitive price if they made wheels in the USA.

Reactions: ac_
Made in America vs Made in Asia.

This is now a global economy and what you buy here in the West is probably made from China whose investors are mostly by western investors as well as the Chinese investors alike.

And so revenues cycles back to the pockets of the "Western and Asian global investors"

My friends, the revenue is not going back into your pocket, not mine either. So spend as much as you want for things made in USA products if you feel better. I do not have the money to spare, I go to Walmart for my parts for I am poor, I also live in "shit-hole" place in the USA.

My only asset are my two TJs.

Reactions: billiebob and ac_
Trump is not my favourite politician but IF his economic policies bring manufacturing jobs back home and IF we can buy "Made in America" like we did in the '50s, and IF that also results in a higher standard of living for Americans.... Fabulous. But the USA still needs to address the cost of health care and education. I don't see that happening with anything from the past year. But IF that is part of a future plan..... Fabulous.

Reactions: Squatch and ac_
Hmm....I manufacture parts here in the Good ol' US of A every day, competitively. Its not easy...You have to be diligent and ruthless in controlling costs. Now, that being said, not EVERYTHING we sell is manufactured here. We do get some electronics and components from Europe and Asia, but over 80% of the stuff we make is made here...you can trace its value stream all the way back. You also have to have a competitive advantage.

AEV wheels is a good example...First, they had a quality problem early on with Cracking. So...why pay extra if I run the same risk with a "premium" brand as I do with Discount's imported house brand? So...even though they fixed the quality problem, the damage was done. Consumers are very unforgiving and fickle. It become a race to the bottom. You have to have impeccable quality, incredible customer service, unique designs, and on top of all that, advanced manufacturing techniques and control to ensure that all the work you've done on the front side isn't thrown away on the shop floor. Not easy, but possible.

Reactions: ac_
Question for @billiebob or others outside of America; being from Canada, does "made in America" have a significant meaning or value to Canadians? I honestly have no idea what is manufactured in Canada and am curious as to the impact of American companies off shoring their business.

Question for @billiebob or others outside of America; being from Canada, does "made in America" have a significant meaning or value to Canadians? I honestly have no idea what is manufactured in Canada and am curious as to the impact of American companies off shoring their business.
I gotta admit, I was wondering the exact same thing. Looking forward to @billiebob's response...

Of c
and am curious as to the impact of American companies off shoring their business.

Let me chime in, I worked for a company that relies on overseas parts.
It does not have an impact to Canada because made in America is mostly patronized here in America. This is now a global economy my friends, there are more access to other country's economy. In the '60s, probably this will benefit us, but now that it is a global economy, there are more choices for consumers. I travel into other countries for a long time and businesses and consumers alike at our level (average people) are mostly about the economics of their life. That means that whatever is the most cost effective in their budget. and that applies to our work policy as well. The impact for our bottom line if we use overseas suppliers is better than buying them here in the USA.

Last edited:
I gotta admit, I was wondering the exact same thing. Looking forward to @billiebob's response...
I think the response for anyone outside of the US will be a bit different due to us being at one point fairly self sufficient when it came to manufactured goods. It is the exodus of that manufacturing offshore that causes us to regret the loss and bitch about it. As an example, if you never had high manufacturing output and supplied most of the good steel in the world, it's hard to miss it when it leaves.

Reactions: Squatch
IMG_1679.JPG

One of the ways to improve shareholders value is to increase profits by sourcing overseas regardless of the impact on our society.

I buy knock offs all the time. I don't push them but I buy them. Some work out some don't. I agree I'd rather buy USA made products but then some say they are made here and are not. Just because the company is USA doesn't mean they don't import their products. That is just simply a fact. I have the chinese fog lights mentioned in the OP and quite frankly I like them. I am not paying 800 bux for something that gets barely used. If you have that kind of money you kissed too much ass. Case in point....I am a calibration technician. We have fluke meters everywhere. However, I am not shelling out 400 bux for a fluke when I can get a Klein that does exactly the same for a 1/4 of the price. BTW, I cal'd them both with the same standard and my Klein read exactly the same thing. My point is this...name recognition. Everybody knows fluke is the best or at least think so. Try dealing with them on a daily basis. You will be screaming expletives. Just because JW is so called the best doesn't mean they really are. I love my fogs and I have cheap knock off headlights too. I bet I paid 1/4 of the price of the JWs and happier because I have more beer money.

Another case in point, I am in the promotional products industry, imprinted items like pens, magnets, mugs, shirts etc....
I can get an Indonesian t-shirt for a msrp of $1.89 and a full American made one for $3.75 blank ea....I know you can say it is twice the price but when all said and done but I can do an imprinted order for the import for lets say 6 bucks ea...and the American order for maybe $8......not a kings ransom I would think to spend for American made. Well I have maybe sold the American shirt twice in the last 10 years, even the local Police UNION buys the import one from me. I have had other unions do the same..talk about being a hypocrite.

Another case in point, I am in the promotional products industry, imprinted items like pens, magnets, mugs, shirts etc....
I can get an Indonesian t-shirt for a msrp of $1.89 and a full American made one for $3.75 blank ea....I know you can say it is twice the price but when all said and done but I can do an imprinted order for the import for lets say 6 bucks ea...and the American order for maybe $8......not a kings ransom I would think to spend for American made. Well I have maybe sold the American shirt twice in the last 10 years, even the local Police UNION buys the import one from me. I have had other unions do the same..talk about being a hypocrite.
Reminds me of the whole 2012 controversy of the U.S. Olympic team's uniforms being made in China...
We used to have a cartoon stuck on the corkboard at work. It showed folks admiring a large statue honoring the "American Worker", with someone in the crowd noticing the "Made in China" engraved into the base of it. That says it all, right there...

Reactions: UpperMI
Reminds me of the whole 2012 controversy of the U.S. Olympic team's uniforms being made in China...
We used to have a cartoon stuck on the corkboard at work. It showed folks admiring a large statue honoring the "American Worker", with someone in the crowd noticing the "Made in China" engraved into the base of it. That says it all, right there...
I particularly love the giant rat the unions often put up outside construction sites that hired non-unions firms to do the job..........the rat is made in China :cbiggrin:

Reactions: Squatch