TJ 2.5 engine replacement

Welp i got a package from napa yesterday. And also did something that was way harder than it shouldve been.
DDED8506-6326-4531-9D1B-CFCEE4E325FA.jpeg
image.jpg

Welp. I got my engine jammed in tonight. Turned my flywheel on the lathe. And got everything together. Its dark so i will get pictures tomorrow. But now its just electrical and hoses and stuff.

Reactions: Chris and Wildman
I got my brand new 2.5 in and running! Honestly i was a little worried because it took a LONG time to get oil pressure. Dont worry I didn’t run it with no oil pressure. Took it for a drive and that new clutch with the new engine drives nice and smooth. I didn’t hot rod it so i cant tell a difference in power yet, that and its not broken in so it will be a while. But yea, it runs great! And im sorry I didn’t put more on this. It was just hard to document everything with greasy hands.. that and im forgetful...

Took an expensive trip to napa today!! Engine is ordered, and should get it in the next couple weeks.
Hi, I just bought my first Jeep 2000 SE and also need to buy an engine. How much I’m I looking at to replace it? Are you happy with it? Mind me asking how much you paid for your Jeep?

Did your Napa specify why they didn’t recommend the atk engines? Seems like a lot of places are selling them.

Hi, I just bought my first Jeep 2000 SE and also need to buy an engine. How much I’m I looking at to replace it? Are you happy with it? Mind me asking how much you paid for your Jeep?
My engine came from s&j for $1450. Its also a $450 refundable core charge. Along with freight charges which depending on where you live, xan cost only $300 for delivery and core return. But a lot more if you live far from washington. I paid $5700 for my jeep not knowing the engine was on its way out.

My engine came from s&j for $1450. Its also a $450 refundable core charge. Along with freight charges which depending on where you live, xan cost only $300 for delivery and core return. But a lot more if you live far from washington. I paid $5700 for my jeep not knowing the engine was on its way out.
The engine is really nothing special its just a stock 2.5. But so far it seems solid. And judging by reviews it will last a long time. Im very happy with it, if you dont mind the power of a 2.5

The engine is really nothing special its just a stock 2.5. But so far it seems solid. And judging by reviews it will last a long time. Im very happy with it, if you dont mind the power of a 2.5
Ok thanks. Did you also replaced other things like pump...?

Ok thanks. Did you also replaced other things like pump...?
Just tune up things. It comes with an oil pump but you gotta buy the pickup tube and install it into the pump. Also replaced plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, spark plugs, water pump, t-stat, o2 sensors, and clutch while i was at it. You can cut some corners, but be warned something may void your warranty. Lets say everything inluded was about $1650 including the engine. It was a fun job, but did have to save a while to do it.

Reactions: Blondie70
Just tune up things. It comes with an oil pump but you gotta buy the pickup tube and install it into the pump. Also replaced plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, spark plugs, water pump, t-stat, o2 sensors, and clutch while i was at it. You can cut some corners, but be warned something may void your warranty. Lets say everything inluded was about $1650 including the engine. It was a fun job, but did have to save a while to do it.
It does come with a complete gasket set.

My son bought a 2000 TJ that needs the motor replaced. Our local options are NAPA or direct from S&J. Is S&J worth to extra $$$?

In my case the s&j engine was cheaper than the napa one. But yes, the motor is solid and has a much better warranty. I love my engine
Thanks! I’ve heard good things from S&J. Shipping cost is the price I pay for living in Alaska. You’re only 90 minutes from S&J on a good day, so you had free shipping If you didn’t get a ticket for going over 100mph on i90😉 People can say what they want about the good ol’ days, I drove i90 when it had stop lights!