I know you’re stuck in this, but Just get a CJ. That’s all you need to do. Sell the TJ. Come out money ahead and be driving years before you’ll ever drive the decimputerized TJ. There’s nothing radically different about the body styles. It sounds like an absolute crazy waste of time, energy, resources, and brain cells to decomputerize a TJ. Virtually everything would need to be changed. It’s like you’re trying to make a 1997-2006 CJ. I’d tear everything out including the dash (which would need to entirely fabricated with new gauges) down to the frame and tub. Then put it all together.

What im about to say I probably shouldve mentioned earlier in some capacity

I could sell my TJ and get a CJ, but due to a whole lot of things that wouldnt really make a lot of sense here, It wouldnt be easy to do that.
Now that I think about it though, its probably a little easier to get a CJ by just a little bit.
but I would get one hell of a project with doing a 350 swap

yall here on this forum are actually making me think harder than I ever have about getting a CJ

so after some careful consideration and discussion of what this kind of swap would be like (which was grossly understated in the original thread i was referencing, which had a similar premise to this one)

Im gonna start thinking about a CJ, and if I dont pull the trigger on one, I wont molest the TJ I have now beyond a transmission swap possibly.

thanks to everyone whos contributing to this thread, I know my 'ideology' is strange, and that yall had to do a considerable amount of convincing me that maybe molesting a TJ wasnt the greatest route.

we-won.png

it aint computerized its just an electrical circuit that is engaged when you turn the key, similar to how a light switch works just spring loaded.
when the circuit is complete it sends the power through the circuit to the starter which is a small electric motor that turns the engine.
we've had electric motors way longer than we've had computers and we've had electricity and circuits way longer than we've had computers

When you say things like what you have posted right here, and ask the type of questions you are, I seriously question your ability to successfully achieve your vision without paying someone to do it for you.

so after some careful consideration and discussion of what this kind of swap would be like (which was grossly understated in the original thread i was referencing, which had a similar premise to this one)

Im gonna start thinking about a CJ, and if I dont pull the trigger on one, I wont molest the TJ I have now beyond a transmission swap possibly.

thanks to everyone whos contributing to this thread, I know my 'ideology' is strange, and that yall had to do a considerable amount of convincing me that maybe molesting a TJ wasnt the greatest route.

tumblr_nnwfsdFDAD1terwlso1_400.gif

• Haha
Reactions: lBasket and BlueC
If you go the CJ route, I believe 82 was the year they got a “computer”. So either get one before that, or look up the nutter bypass mod.

I think mid 70’s is when they got electronic ignition. So if that’s too high tech for you, you could switch to a points distributor.

Personally I would never go back to a points distributor. There is a good mod to change out the stock base and cap of the distributor to a larger ford cap.

Personally I would find a CJ with the wide track axles. 86 years have a chance of having a rear Dana 44. But if you get stuck with the AMC 20 rear axle it’s a good axle you just gotta swap out the two piece axles to one piece.

The huge issue we are all missing here is……when china hits us with an emp he will still be driving his modified jeep and we will just be looking at ours and dreaming of better days.
But since the gas stations won’t be able to pump gas we can sell him ours🤣🤣🤣😁

5.3 vortec swap

Computer controlled engine, just like the stock 4.0, too new for your stated goal. You will have to go back into the world of traditional small blocks, or other engines, with a mechanical distributor. Electronic ignitions are a type of computer, so you'll need points or magneto if you get that crazy.

Last edited:
I could sell my TJ and get a CJ

Do that. I've seen plenty of 350/350 Chevy swaps in CJ7s. Then you will have the non-computer controlled vehicle that you want without any kind of major project.

Last edited:
The huge issue we are all missing here is……when china hits us with an emp he will still be driving his modified jeep

That hypothetical EMP will wipe out a points setup too. Only the magneto guys will be running, so the day of the Ford T might not be over yet. ;)

My only regret in life is selling my YJ with the 350 Chevy SB and NV4500 tranny. Creeper low gear, highway 5th gear. Rebuilt quadrajet carb and it had no issues with inclines or side angles.
Although if i still had it it would be at least Sniper FI swapped or upgraded to an LS.
Get a YJ, coil overs and a Small Block
Gassers !! 🇺🇸

I've seen that, but can they prove it works. ;) I saw a video with one of the employees being asked that, and he responded with something like "hopefully".

I doubt they work.

If someone was really worried about an EMP they should buy two jeeps and keep one in a faraday cage for when the other one becomes inoperable.

Reactions: JMT and BlueC