TJ DE-MOBILIZED SYMBOL AFTER BEING TOWED

wranglertjoz

Hi all,

I had the car towed roughly six months ago and once i received the keys the demobilized symbol came on and I couldn't start the car. After doing some troubleshooting, I disconnected the battery completely, left it for 10 minutes, reconnected it and it was gone. Though, most recently the symbol came up again and left me stranded as I couldn't get the car to start as it starts it 5 seconds then stops. I tried the same method to trouble shoot and now that isnt working. I have called a few auto electricians and no one can help me.

Does anyone know any toruble shooting tips that I can try?

Yes, I have also used another key and it still didnt work. I dont have any after market alarm system on it either.

Any help would be great.

That's definitely saying something is wrong with the ignition key you're using. Its security chip went bad if it's gray, or if it's black it doesn't have the required security chip inside. My wife's Grand Cherokee security key went bad and caused the exact problem you're experiencing. Or perhaps the SKIM security system has a problem but my bet is it's the key causing the problem since it starts the engine but the SKIM system is killing the engine saying it's the wrong key or it's a defective key.

Reactions: 1o1proof
Your vehicle has the factory SKIM system as Jerry stated above.
Since the problem exists with both gray keys; the problem is either the harness connected to the module inside the steering column or the module has gone bad.
Remove the three screws holding the plastic covers surrounding the steering column and inspect the SKIM module harness. You can identify the module which has a circular piece surrounding the ignition switch.
The harness connector for the module may be loose, have oxidized connections or one of the wires may be grounding out. Inspect the wiring for rubbed thru insulation, disconnect the harness connector and clean pins. Reattach harness to module and see if this changes your starting problem.
IF not... there may be a problem with the module.
Problems with the SKIM usually require a dealership technician to reprogram a new module.

The TJ Resources section on this Forum has a detailed explanation about the SKIM.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/skis-skim-sentry-key-programming.16848/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1o1proof