TJ feels like it moves left or right by itself

Hope you all don't mind me hijacking this thread, I have what is probably the exact same problem, '99 Wrangler Sport 4.0 with power steering, just bought it (my first Jeep) so I'm new to 4-wheeling/off-roading. Going down the road it constantly drifts back and forth laterally, almost feels like it's skating back and forth, dips in the road make it worse, it never yanks hard on the wheel but it pulls it side to side. Local alignment shop has checked over the front and and aligned it twice, swears the geometry is all good (did add some caster angle to smooth out the road driving), front end was rebuilt by previous owner and alignment guys says it's all good, no bad ball joints or bearings or anything.View attachment 61537 View attachment 61538 View attachment 61537 Tires replaced (they were bumpy bad like they were flat-spotted, I thought that might be causing the steering problem like maybe the steel belts had slipped, the new tires smoothed out the bumpies but still have the steering problem, now I'm wondering if this issue caused the other tires to go bad?), still the same thing. I've thought all along that something in the lift kit must have changed the geometry or suspension and caused this. But after seeing this thread, I checked and mine also has the drop arm. Is that all that it needs to fix it is the stock Pitman?

same thing you have a dropped pitman arm and need to remove it. I would also say do the dry steer test and look for movement that shouldn’t be there. If you don’t have someone to turn the wheel then set up your phone and record you turning the wheel. It’s what I did and how I found out I needed to swap drag link and tie rod.

Last edited:
This might not be relevant but worn front unit bearings will cause drift.

I am having the same issue. When I drive I feel like it’s going to left, especially when I drive on uneven pavement (construction on highway). I will post a photo of my under carriage can someone take a look at it and let me know. I am new to the Jeep family. It is lifted and is running 35’s on it.

Okay, there is two issues going on there I see.

First off, someone has added a second steering stabilizer that is attached to the tie rod. That needs to be removed completely as it shouldn't be there to begin with and is doing no good.

The second thing is that you have a drop pitman arm which is more than likely the culprit as to why your steering is wandering (this is a known issue with dropped pitman arms).

You'll need to put a stock pitman arm back in place of it.
Most of the time when I see a second stabilizer, it tells me it really needs more front end work, they ran out of ideas, and slapped that on there.

Reactions: Chris
I am having the same issue. When I drive I feel like it’s going to left, especially when I drive on uneven pavement (construction on highway).
That sounds like it could be bump steer. Make sure your photos include a side view of the Pitman arm to see if it's a 'dropped' version, and also a well lit close up of driver's side track bar mount. Bump steer is easily cured.

New jeep owners need to remember an older, solid front axle, lifted, steering boxed, rear wheel drive, aggressive tired jeep is not going to drive like their other/previous vehicles.
Not that it can't be made to drive safe and normal, but it will feel and handle differently.

I'm having the same issue and for the life of can't figure it out. The only thing I can possibly think it might be is the new ball joints are tight. and need more time to loosen up a bit.

Has anybody hear of ball joints doing this?

It's a hand full above 60 mph.
Everything on the font is new with the exception of the XJ linkage that only has 30k miles on it.
new alignment done.

I'm having the same issue and for the life of can't figure it out. The only thing I can possibly think it might be is the new ball joints are tight. and need more time to loosen up a bit.

Has anybody hear of ball joints doing this?

It's a hand full above 60 mph.
Everything on the font is new with the exception of the XJ linkage that only has 30k miles on it.
new alignment done.
Tire size and pressure?

Hey guys new Tj owner here. Jeep is a sport with a 4.0 & has a 4 in lift and 33’ tires. I haven’t really had the chance to drive my tj since I already have my daily driver. But I noticed when I do drive it the ride will feel completely normal and out of nowhere it feels like it moves either left or right by itself. It feels really sketchy, specially driving in narrow roads. I wanted to see if you guys have any tips or where I should start looking for my problem or what it might be. Thanks for reading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im having the same issue, I have a '07 TJ with a lift and 315 tires. Just had the tires replaced, wheel alignment done and wheel bearings as recommended by mechanic but I still have the issue

Im having the same issue, I have a '07 TJ with a lift and 315 tires. Just had the tires replaced, wheel alignment done and wheel bearings as recommended by mechanic but I still have the issue

an 07 is not a tj. 06 was the last yr. of the tj’s.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Akitadog