TJ leans towards passenger side

derek_mcelveen

Supporting Member
First post here....I have a 2001 Wrangler, it has a 3.25" RC lift kit installed. I just recently noticed that my jeep is leaning towards the passenger side slightly, about .5-.75". I replaced both front coil springs already and the lean is still present. When I measure the spring length (installed), the driver side measures 14.5" and the passenger side measures 14". I have swapped the front shocks to see if that might be playing into the lean and nothing changed. I disconnected the sway bars, and it seemed to exaggerate the issue. I disconnected the front track bar (OEM) to see if could be pulling the passenger side down, but noticed in the process that when the previous owner had the lift kit installed that they just drilled a new bolt hole to shift the track bar over to account for the lift. Disconnecting the front track bar did not have any affect either way.

I have read numerous posts on this issue and I don't want to simply put band-aid on the issue and install a spacer on the passenger side to offset the lean. I can't think of anything else that would be causing this...any help would be appreciated. I can post pictures if needed...

Reactions: Chris
Bump for answers.

I too have the lean on the passenger side even after new springs was installed. I've read on the forums that the engine torsioned to the passenger side thus wearing down the spring at a faster rate than the driver side. I'm also at a lost because it happened again with new springs.

The lean is normal after a while. It's caused by engine torque that ends up at the right-rear spring which causes it to start sagging with enough time. Replace the R-R spring and you're good.

Reactions: RobertJ
The lean is normal after a while. It's caused by engine torque that ends up at the right-rear spring which causes it to start sagging with enough time. Replace the R-R spring and you're good.
@Jerry Bransford, what if the lean looks like it's in the front as well causing the entire passenger side vs just right rear? Different issue or an effect of the right rear sagging?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

@Jerry Bransford, what if the lean looks like it's in the front as well causing the entire passenger side vs just right rear? Different issue or an effect of the right rear sagging?
No guarantee but it's probably just the R-R spring causing that effect.

I replaced my R-R spring 8-9 years ago and I think it's sagging a little again.

Reactions: dieselvrr
- The lift is less than 2 years old. I've probably only put 6-7k miles on the jeep since the lift was installed.

- I will have to get measurements on the rear springs when I get home, I can't remember what they were. I do remember that the rear offset to the passenger side was less than the front offset.

My R-R spring measures approx. 10-1/8" and my R-L spring measures approx. 10-3/8"....so about 1/4" different in the rear which is hardly noticeable. The front is what drives me crazy.

The second picture is the F-R spring and the third picture is the F-L spring.

Thanks again for yalls help

puGtUTedQV6cI1MAssnBrA.jpg

sAqVPDqBSbaShhCt0X4E0Q.jpg

vE7%26uhSlGurp75PCv4tQ.jpg

What if the lean is exactly the same before and after installing new springs? It was a 1/2" before and after. New springs were same height. (not side specific) I could fix it by adding 10mm spacer on top but can't stop wondering what's off.

I used to have this problem on the Jeep CJs and Military Jeeps I've owned over the years. Used to drive me crazy. The only explanation I ever found is what Jerry said, torque that caused one side to lean. For the older Jeeps it was always the driver's side that was lower. I have a 2006 TJ now and have the smallest difference. My driver side is always 1/4 inch higher than the passenger side. I remember the Toyota FJ 40's had the lean as well, and there was a manufacturer fix. It was a spacer put in the passenger rear spring perch that caused the passenger side to be equal with the driver side. I really think your fix, because of coils instead of leaf springs is a spacer above the right rear coil spring. I'll bet that will cure it. I like the drivers side a quarter inch up, because I was so upset by CJ's lower on the drivers side, and it was pronounced. Put the space and suffer no more. I know how it bugs.

Reactions: MikeE024
Will this cause any harm? Like tires wearing uneven? Of other stuff. It is so slight it doesn’t bother me but want to make sure it wouldn’t mess up tires before I get new ones.

Will this cause any harm? Like tires wearing uneven? Of other stuff. It is so slight it doesn’t bother me but want to make sure it wouldn’t mess up tires before I get new ones.
Within reason, I don't see how the typical amount of r-r spring sag could significantly harm anything.

Reactions: AndyG
My R-R spring measures approx. 10-1/8" and my R-L spring measures approx. 10-3/8"....so about 1/4" different in the rear which is hardly noticeable. The front is what drives me crazy.

The second picture is the F-R spring and the third picture is the F-L spring.

Thanks again for yalls help

View attachment 82487

View attachment 82488

View attachment 82489
Man your letting this bother you waaay to much. Put the tape measure down and get out and have fun with your jeep. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Ryan
If its level empty , it probably is not when you sit it in it. OME thinks so, and sends specific spring lengths for each corner to compensate.

In no way do I want to belittle your concern- many cars and trucks lean- they just sit lower and have rounded bodys and skirts that mask it- a jeep sits high and has straight tub edges that catch the eye. Also many vehicles are tuned to lean.

There are a lot of guys that would be thrilled with 1/2”. It is a big issue in the JK world, called Jeep Lean. Our issue is Jeep Lien......where we spent our money on mods and can’t make the payments.

If the springs are seated correctly, and there is no frame damage, It would not bother me. Its a small miracle they sit close to level given it is dependent on heated steel coils and mounts welded to a frame way up the assembly line.

I have had 2 with noticeable lean and 3 with none-at the end of the day the more I fussed with it the more it bugged me. After reading, like you, that there was no real fix (because there is no real problem) , I quit paying attention to it and can barely remember now which jeep leaned and which way it leaned.

Also, we think its a sin to add a puck at times, forgetting that body panels have shims all over, door hinges have adjustment, body sealant is all in the tub to fill gaps, even the differential is full of shims that it can’t even roll without long.

It is entirely possible a coil spring bucket or tower is out that much or 2 are out a 1/4”,etc... considering the entire production process, jigs and outsourced parts, and adding a spacer would really not be a shameful band aid- but rather a resourceful adjustment by a discerning owner to fix something most people might not notice.

I guarantee you if it bothers you a lot, if you will insert a black spacer, in 6 months you won’t remember what wheel its behind and in a year that it is there.

Last edited: