TJ parked next to JL

When hunting for my Son's XJ stumbled across these folks that sell XJs through ebay: http://davisautosports.com. Looks like they'll do TJs built to order too. Not as insane as IKON does, but still must be a good niche business. A few of their XJs are pretty amazing.
Davis has some of the nicest TJ’s out there. I love that they pull the axles and re powder coat them and run the rhino type lining on their flares.

Reactions: Starrs and Chris
How do you get the spare off?

I know, I know, very carefully...
Yeah gotta be careful taking the flat off too!! Look at those spikes
8C295833-4925-429A-AB23-51A887DC3CB8.jpeg

Reactions: ac_
I had a women get pushed from behind into the back of JKU when I was stopped in traffic, my spare tire bent her hood up till it cracked the windshield and my tow hook put a nice hole in her bumper...oh and my tow hook vinyl cover was barely marred from the entire accident! The worst thing about it is the police reported the entire accident to carfax and when I went to sell it, it came up as an accident. The most I good get the insurance company to do was give me a letter that said "no payout" was made on my vehicle...carfax would not do crap to help me.

Carfax has a lot of mistakes on it. I used to work at a used car dealership. If you have pics people don’t car. If you trade it in, the dealership uses Carfax to get you to sell it to them cheaper but when they sell you a car with an accident they tell you it doesn’t matter because it was fixed right or that it was a small accident. I had an accord with a front and rear accident but I had pics to show it was all superficial. When you sell it on your own you probably won’t have a Carfax for them anyway. Also these dealerships buy smashed up cars from auctions and fix them with nothing reported. The only thing I really look at Carfax for is where the vehicle has been registered. Rust belt or not. Don’t worry about it just keep pics and you will never sell it anyway. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JMT
Davis has some of the nicest TJ’s out there. I love that they pull the axles and re powder coat them and run the rhino type lining on their flares.
I spoke with Jonathan yesterday about an XJ build. New motor new paint, and the stage 2 kit will run you conservatively 30k. Turn around time with all the work they have going would be around a year start to finish. I hate the new cherokees and would gladly pay his asking price for a brand new XJ. Best around for sure.

Reactions: JMT and Fouledplugs
I equate the bumper to......like this? Ugh.... it's so butt ugly !
.............................................................................................:monoloco:

upload_2018-3-3_11-48-2.png

Reactions: Jeep9748
I'm curious, what are the overall heights and the belly heights on a stock TJ and a stock JL?

In the first picture here, the JL isn't that much taller but the tires and fender lines are considerably taller.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
I'm curious, what are the overall heights and the belly heights on a stock TJ and a stock JL?

In the first picture here, the JL isn't that much taller but the tires and fender lines are considerably taller.

Quick rough turn around for you. Maybe someone can do the same for the JL.

Sourced from Quadratec’s knowledge base
https://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase
Who sourced it from FCA press releases

Ground Clearance 1997-2006 Jeep TJ (SWB)
Front Axle

8.7 (226) min., 9.2 (228) max.
Rear Axle
8.6 (208) min., 9.1 (217) max.
Running
9.0 (215) min., 10.0 (259) max.
Approach Angle
Ramp Breakover Angle
Departure Angle
Curb Weight
3,200 lbs. (1467 kg) - SE,
3,438 lbs. (1545 kg) - X,
3,539 lbs. (1565 kg) - Sport,
3,832 lbs. (1686 kg) - Rubicon
Wheel Base
Track width

Reactions: Chris
The TJ, JK and JL can all fit a larger tire with less lift than the model that preceded it. This is largely accomplished by making the wheel openings increasingly larger.

I'm interested in the measurement from the ground to the transfer case skid/cross member on the stock configurations of each to see how much the belly clearance (or break over angle) is increasing (or decreasing).

Here are the JK numbers for the base model.
Jeep Wrangler Sport and the Freedom Edition: 21.5 degrees

Notice the lower angle. I believe this is with a similar 29" tire.

This suggests that Jeep is making compromises in order to squeeze a larger tire onto the vehicle.

How do you get the spare off?

I know, I know, very carefully...
Just to clarify...as I have done this multiple times...that bar above has a sliding eyelet hook. In the BII, which is Basic Issue Items... basically the vehicles tool kit. anyways in the BII is a small chain hoist that hooks onto the eyelet and then it is manually hoisted out of the spare tire mount. If you have ever used a chain hoist then you know this sucks with both time and what is ever worse is that you have to do this on the side of the road and nothing will make you have an accident in your pants faster than I roughly 5-600 lbs tire floating in the air on a small chain and a tractor trailer zooms buy and the tire all the sudden becomes a spinning wheel in the air....everyone thinks we wear our helmets for war, NOPE just to change tires on the side of the road...lol

Reactions: CybrSlydr
What a thread. Loved the photo in 1st page. Reminded me of this classic photo:

View attachment 45121

View attachment 45122
That photo says it all. The lines of the TJ have a deep heritage. The similarities are remarkable. About the only thing they could have done better is give the TJ Flat fenders and flares.

The comparison with the JL shows a wider departure. Still a Jeep, but it is what it is. An interesting point is the original overall height of TJ and JL is the height, but the fender height is way higher on the JL to accommodate bigger tires

Very true. Fiat Chrysler knows that in order to stay relevant though, they had to make the Wrangler appeal to a much broader audience. If they were still selling TJs to this day and they remained entirely unchanged, they wouldn't sell enough of them to make big profits. The introduction of the 4 door and all the creature comforts was a smashing success for them, because it gave the Wrangler the appeal of an SUV, which ultimately helped to propel them to massive sales (take notice of how many 4 door Wranglers you see versus 2 doors).

But along with that comes bigger Wranglers, more electronics, higher prices, etc.

It's a damn shame, but from a business / profit standpoint, I get why they did what they did. The audience who wants a cool looking SUV is far larger than the guys like you and I who want a small, nimble, simple off-road vehicle.

I agree with this point. Just look at this article... https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/res...dition/ss-AAy8ZQk?ocid=mmx&PC=EMMX01#image=11 . Jeep made it to #11. As much as I criticize the "mall crawlers," it is thanks to them that the jeep brand is doing so well. Jeep has put an emphasis on these individuals, but I would argue that Jeep still tries to cater to the off-roaders with some of their versions. As I read in another article, Jeep has become a status brand. Some people buy them jus to show they can afford an off-road vehicle, even if they never use it for it's intended purpose.

Reactions: Chris