TJ Purist

Niiiice collection! I'm a curmudgeon when it comes to new cars, I hate, loathe, and detest computers and other "technology" in modern cars - would much rather drive any of your beautiful collection than ANYTHING new. Cool beans!

The quality of your vehicles far excels anything I would ever hope to own. Beautiful rides, my friend. Thank you so much for sharing them! Wouldn't mind seeing pics of the Caballero, as well. Lots of El Caminos out there, but you don't see many of the GMC flavor around, anymore.

Not all of my cars looked like they do now when I bought them.
The '21 Chevy had been stored in a small shed from 1931 until I bought it in 1972. It took 7 years to restore.
The '72 C20 pickup was found behind a nearby service station. It underwent a frame-on restoration in 1988.
If you have the time and talent, or the right connections, anything can be a showpiece.
Attached are a couple of "before" photos.
Jim

490 - original1 (6).jpg

1972 Chevrolet pickup as purchased-edit.jpg

Reactions: Squatch and Zorba
Hello all.
I just joined this forum ,partly for the reams of info available and out of curiosity to see if I'm the only person in North America that cleans his Jeep with a California duster instead of a heavy duty power washer !
First, a word of introduction. I've been a collector car enthusiast since about the age of ten (that would be 1958). I currently own a small fleet of vehicles, ranging in age from 1921 to 2013. I have owned several Jeeps over the years, including a 1942 MB, a 1968 CJ5, and a 1989 YJ.
I've always liked the TJ, with it's fairly close appearance to it's historical roots. In March 2020,I purchased a '99 Sahara that had spent most of it's life in British Columbia. It is totally rust free ( an almost extinct species here in southern Ontario) and has never been modified in any way. I plan on preserving it that way,
Are there any other Jeep owners out there that plan on keeping at least a few originals for historical purposes ?
Jim

View attachment 254769

View attachment 254771
Right now I have a 2003 TJ Rubicon. The 1st year they were made. It has every available factory option and everything works. It only needs the factory rear tow hook. I’m repainting everything except the axles that needs it, and then selling it. Some of these pics are before I did anything. She’s a beauty, especially if you love Khaki Metallic

B6639D8B-297A-457F-8140-4DBCCEC3216F.jpeg

743D9AAE-D94A-4CD0-AE15-BBE148F549D9.jpeg

24A60FA2-C572-44E5-920D-013E654873E4.jpeg

Right now I have a 2003 TJ Rubicon. The 1st year they were made. It has every available factory option and everything works. It only needs the factory rear tow hook. I’m repainting everything except the axles that needs it, and then selling it. Some of these pics are before I did anything. She’s a beauty, especially if you love Khaki Metallic

View attachment 255460

View attachment 255461

View attachment 255462

That's a good looking unit. My '89 YJ was that color, or close to it. The guy that imported my '99 from BC did me a huge favor by spending hours underneath with a wire wheel removing what surface rust there was, then painting it with black chassis paint and oiling it. He had planned on moving to Costa Rica and shipping it there, until he found the cost of shipping,tariffs,etc. I was luckily the first person to spot it on Kijiji. I have a bad habit of keeping the nice vehicles I acquire, rarely selling.

• Love
Reactions: JMT
That's a good looking unit. My '89 YJ was that color, or close to it. The guy that imported my '99 from BC did me a huge favor by spending hours underneath with a wire wheel removing what surface rust there was, then painting it with black chassis paint and oiling it. He had planned on moving to Costa Rica and shipping it there, until he found the cost of shipping,tariffs,etc. I was luckily the first person to spot it on Kijiji. I have a bad habit of keeping the nice vehicles I acquire, rarely selling.
Thanks, Its a Midwest Jeep and the Original owner only put 32,000 miles on it. PO had it rust proofed and undercoated and it has never seen snow. The picture is with the original tires, they have since been changed. You have some terrific looking cars and trucks yourself.

Thanks, Its a Midwest Jeep and the Original owner only put 32,000 miles on it. PO had it rust proofed and undercoated and it has never seen snow. The picture is with the original tires, they have since been changed. You have some terrific looking cars and trucks yourself.
That's definitely a keeper ! There was a mint set of red half doors sold in this area on Kijiji for $800 CDN last summer. They'd really set it off.

It was on my wish list while I was looking at Jeeps. I have been keeping my eyes open. They are hard to find.
Even harder when you want tan Sahara trim panels ! I ended up getting a white door from CT. and a blue one from PA. ,but they both had the tan trim. Then had to get them painted. They show up regularly on Ebay.

1999 Jeep TJ Sahara interior (2).JPG

Last edited:
C62FB585-F59D-4DBD-B039-34EEC32D8B5E.jpeg

I like unmodified TJ’s as well (and I love them in green!), especially since off roading for me is pretty simple stuff that stock Jeeps can easily handle. Here is my 05 Willys Edition and my 04 Rubicon. Both stock.

Reactions: TJPurist
View attachment 256018
I like unmodified TJ’s as well (and I love them in green!), especially since off roading for me is pretty simple stuff that stock Jeeps can easily handle. Here is my 05 Willys Edition and my 04 Rubicon. Both stock.
Great to see more stock units, and a pair no less. I'm so fussy, I don't even like gravel roading, let alone off roading !

Reactions: Greenmachine
Thanks for that, however there are several guys around here that wreck nothing but TJs and have tons of parts , and for Canadian dollars !

There's a fellow in the Woodstock area that sells a lot of used Jeep parts but I've never dealt with him. I've had good luck with one just north of Angus. No shipping but close by and always a fun visit.

I have a 2003 TJ Rocky Mountain Edition that's rust free and pretty much stock. The only things I've changed are that I removed the bumper end caps and swapped out the seats. I put in a set from a Hyundai Tiburon as I did with my LJ and XJ which generally appear stock but aren't. I've removed the rusty tow bar mount seen here (the original owner towed it to Florida every year) and am converting it to a front receiver hitch for my LJ. @TJPurist - It looks like yours has one too.

003.jpg

I also have a 1988 Comanche Eliminator that is original except for the dome lights, radio and rear bumper. I have an original bumper and all of the attachments, I just need to find time to restore it. The bed cleats were added by a previous owner. They're wrong but a period addition that was fairly common ... and I like them!

21-04-20 2.JPG

Last edited:
Nice Jeeps ! That Comanche is a seldom seen truck.
My TJ does have a pair of tow bar mounts welded to the front bumper. As I mentioned in a recent post, I picked up a nice unmolested one from Gregg in Norwich. I may or may not replace it soon. The tow bar brackets have come in handy a couple of times for other uses.
I think the fellow you mention north of Woodstock is the same guy that I bought a gambler wheel from. He's out in the country northeast of Innerkip. He has a large inventory of parts and a nice collection of restored Jeeps. I don't have his contact info at this moment.

1999 TJ brackets 2021-05-31.JPG

Nice Jeeps ! That Comanche is a seldom seen truck.
My TJ does have a pair of tow bar mounts welded to the front bumper. As I mentioned in a recent post, I picked up a nice unmolested one from Gregg in Norwich. I may or may not replace it soon. The tow bar brackets have come in handy a couple of times for other uses.
I think the fellow you mention north of Woodstock is the same guy that I bought a gambler wheel from. He's out in the country northeast of Innerkip. He has a large inventory of parts and a nice collection of restored Jeeps. I don't have his contact info at this moment.

View attachment 256067

Yes, it's the guy in Innerkip that I was thinking of. I've also heard of the guy in Norwich. I haven't been down to see either.

Re front TJ bumpers, this one came up on Kijiji this morning. It's down your way and looks like a good deal.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-detail...edium=email&utm_campaign=Kijiji_Search_Alerts

Last edited:
Are there any other Jeep owners out there that plan on keeping at least a few originals for historical purposes ?
Jim

My girlfriend and I are planning on keeping our 2006 LJ as stock as possible. She would like to lift it slightly, but I think the cost of the lift kit is thankfully holding her back. It's just next to impossible to find a clean un-abused example of these vehicles anymore.