2006 TJ Hood Heat Reduction

You're tired of replacing Mopar radiators every 100k miles?

Lol, you’re a funny guy. Replaced a factory Mopar radiator on an 06 LJ at 16k miles, a 98 tj at 46k miles. And all the other TJ/LJ’s were more recent purchases with god knows what under the hood. My two latest purchases definitely has parts store radiators that didn’t leak but they didn’t cool all too well, again, no overheating just warmer than stock needle position.

Lol, you’re a funny guy. Replaced a factory Mopar radiator on an 06 LJ at 16k miles, a 98 tj at 46k miles. And all the other TJ/LJ’s were more recent purchases with god knows what under the hood. My two latest purchases definitely has parts store radiators that didn’t leak but they didn’t cool all too well, again, no overheating just warmer than stock needle position.

It has been well known for a very long time that the Mopar TJ radiator tends to pop at about 120k miles. Mine did. I have seen others around me do the same. My Mopar replacement was going strong at 60k before I switched to an automatic transmission and a matching radiator, still Mopar. Find us one that performs comparably and you will be a hero.

Reactions: YonderNorthwest
It has been well known for a very long time that the Mopar TJ radiator tends to pop at about 120k miles. Mine did. I have seen others around me do the same. My Mopar replacement was going strong at 60k before I switched to an automatic transmission and a matching radiator, still Mopar. Find us one that performs comparably and you will be a hero.

Not in Arizona they don’t… or at least not on Jeeps registered in my name …

Most important issue for the 2006 TJ is the overheating as soon as the outdoor temperatures start hitting the 80s.
Venting / Louvering has been covered thoroughly for the 1997 TJ, but not for the 2006.

The locations for the 1997 heat zone areas seem to be best vented based upon positioning by using the GenRight Off Road hood louvers.
I have not found a full center vent louver panel that takes these zones into account (excluding separate side top vents) along with the major central area, meaning the back section has been excluded just seemingly just to preserve the wind shield bumpers, which I do not care about & never intend to use; I care about bringing down temperatures, preserving wire shielding & plastics under the hood, and making the A/C run superbly. To that end, the first step in even 80something degree heat outside turning into 111 or more under the hood is to vent the heat... The large center vent doesn't seem the utilize the back (close to the wind shield area) & out to the back(wind shield)sides of the center area.
Is there a large center vent that covers the areas I am describing? Most of the ones that I have seen do not.

If you know of one that maximizes vents in the areas closer to the wind shield side along with the main front and center areas, please advise.
I plan to use the side GenRight Off Road top of hood louvers along with a large center option if I can find one to my standards ( :

Well the engine overheating has thoroughly been addressed.

As for the under hood temps, The hood louvers will only get maybe 10 degrees drop according to some who in the past measured it.
Now if the cats were under the chassis and not in the engine compartment that might make noticeable difference.
Besides that engine is running at 200+ which contributes to the heat soak under the hood.
To get it any lower you could run without a hood....

It has been well known for a very long time that the Mopar TJ radiator tends to pop at about 120k miles.
I think you just jinxed me. I'm at 146k miles. :(
p.s.
Last time I bragged about my XJ Mopar radiator lasting 165k miles (21 years), it blew 3 days later.

Last edited:
~14 or 15 years of daily driving TJs and every time I had any sort of overheating issue it was just a dirty radiator, even when it looked clean. Just needed a good washing.

Current TJ is an 05 with ~100k miles and the OEM rad is just starting to leak a bit.

I do have a hood louvre panel, though. Mostly just to help with under hood temps on the plastics and wiring. And I think it looks cool.

I do have a hood louvre panel, though. I think it looks cool.

That's an important factor when buying one. Some are uglier and more useless than angry grills. :unsure:
J139082?wid=810&hei=608&op_usm=0.jpg

J139082_alt3?wid=810&hei=608&op_usm=0.jpg

Last edited:
Stupidest looking product I've seen in a while.

Got to love that Fishbone Offroad selling their GIANT logo. And people here bitched about the little Bestop (removeable) tramp stamp on their new tops. ;)
p.s. This guy loved the Poison Spyder logo so much, he "color-match" painted their decal on his louver. That's dedication. :cool:
5-112.jpg

Last edited:
Got to love that Fishbone Offroad selling their GIANT logo. And people here bitched about the little Bestop (removeable) tramp stamp on their new tops. ;)
p.s. This guy loved the Poison Spyder logo so much, he "color-match" painted their decal on his louver. That's dedication. :cool:
View attachment 426710

I have several older Poison Spyder products on my Jeep. Some are ok, some I'm quite happy with.

But I HATE their logo. I still don't see a spider at all, I see a little Dracula guy dressed for a night out

51-46-032-B-2.jpg

I have several older Poison Spyder products on my Jeep. Some are ok, some I'm quite happy with.

But I HATE their logo. I still don't see a spider at all, I see a little Dracula guy dressed for a night out

View attachment 426716

I like their older style logo, not the robot spider with an "OH NO! MR. BILL" face on the body. I see a lawsuit in the future. ;)
poison spyder (2).jpg

OIP.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 426716

DANG IT MAN!!!! Now I can’t unsee the “little Dracula man” … that’s hilarious, I wonder if that was intentional, you’re right it’s totally a dude in a cape and wings.

• Haha
Reactions: bluescapegoat