TJ seat foam

I installed my replacement foam today. What a difference compared to the stock foam. It is quite a bit firmer.
I don't see them breaking in at all. It's a denser material.
Definitely pleased with the results.
My only complaint was the crappy hog rings that came with the cushions.

I installed them this weekend also and agree. I ended up using zip ties instead of the hog rings. seems to have worked. we'll see.

• Wow
Reactions: lBasket
People here are always in a rush. Not sure why, but I'll be doing 60mph in a 55 zone and people will blow by doing 80, bobbing and weaving like other drivers are slalom cones. Blowing through red lights, making right turns when signs indicate No Right on Red, fly up behind you on the a three lane highway when you're in the left lane, with two lanes open and sit on your bumper. The list doesn't end. I think I must have missed the memo that instructed everyone else to brake as many traffic laws as possible each time they get in the car. Humor aside, I have a 21 year old daughter who is still a bit nervous driving by herself and my anxiety level skyrockets when she is driving.. and it has nothing to do with how SHE drives...

Yeah this is what it felt like in the city forsure. Everyone in a hurry, nobody cares much about what they're doing as long as it gets them to where they are. It's very annoying and sketchy. It honestly was a deterrent to getting out and going out it, always feeling like something bad might happen.

Bad drivers are everywhere unfortunately ☹️ it feels like now what I'm afraid of is people unable to keep their vehicle in their lane (1 lane in each direction) and I'm always hugging the shoulder just in case.

Reactions: tr21triton
Yeah this is what it felt like in the city forsure. Everyone in a hurry, nobody cares much about what they're doing as long as it gets them to where they are. It's very annoying and sketchy. It honestly was a deterrent to getting out and going out it, always feeling like something bad might happen.

Bad drivers are everywhere unfortunately ☹️ it feels like now what I'm afraid of is people unable to keep their vehicle in their lane (1 lane in each direction) and I'm always hugging the shoulder just in case.
Add to all this the fact so many people are driving stoned these days and you have a seriously toxic mixture.
I'm not negative on folks smoking weed... But not while you're driving nearly every light I stop at I smell someone blazing up. How our legislation think lives are worth the revenue, I just don't understand. I was chatting with a deputy a few days ago. He'd just finished an accident investigation wherein there was one fatality.. 42 years old. He wouldn't say whether either of the drivers were under the influence of anything, but he did say he no longer pays any attention to drivers on phones, or equipment violations.. He's inundated with stoned drivers.

People here are always in a rush. Not sure why, but I'll be doing 60mph in a 55 zone and people will blow by doing 80, bobbing and weaving like other drivers are slalom cones. Blowing through red lights, making right turns when signs indicate No Right on Red, fly up behind you on the a three lane highway when you're in the left lane, with two lanes open and sit on your bumper. The list doesn't end. I think I must have missed the memo that instructed everyone else to brake as many traffic laws as possible each time they get in the car. Humor aside, I have a 21 year old daughter who is still a bit nervous driving by herself and my anxiety level skyrockets when she is driving.. and it has nothing to do with how SHE drives...

Your daughter sounds like my daughter in law! She must've been a fighter jet pilot in a previous life! 🤣. She once borrowed my rental BMW to see "how it handles". My son (her husband) sat in the front and I sat in the back. When we arrived she said: "you're OK? " I replied "I'm still alive! " she said: "yeah, I drive a little too fast! ". Understatement of the year! 🫣

fly up behind you on a three lane highway when you're in the left lane, with two lanes open and sit on your bumper.

In Colorado (where I live), it is illegal to cruise along in the left lane with 2 other lanes open. You are only allowed to be in the left lane on a highway during stop and go traffic, or if you are passing. I have a law enforcement buddy who says they are instructed to pull over and write tickets to anyone in the left lane who is impeding traffic regardless of speed. It's actually illegal to "teach you a lesson" by doing the speed limit in the left lane when other lanes are open.

Your daughter sounds like my daughter in law! She must've been a fighter jet pilot in a previous life! 🤣. She once borrowed my rental BMW to see "how it handles". My son (her husband) sat in the front and I sat in the back. When we arrived she said: "you're OK? " I replied "I'm still alive! " she said: "yeah, I drive a little too fast! ". Understatement of the year! 🫣
Not sure what gave you the impression that my daughter drives fast, or poorly. Neither. She just lacks confidence. I worry about some a-hole coming up behind her at speed and startling her. Or worse.

In Colorado (where I live), it is illegal to cruise along in the left lane with 2 other lanes open. You are only allowed to be in the left lane on a highway during stop and go traffic, or if you are passing. I have a law enforcement buddy who says they are instructed to pull over and write tickets to anyone in the left lane who is impeding traffic regardless of speed. It's actually illegal to "teach you a lesson" by doing the speed limit in the left lane when other lanes are open.
Not the case here. Well, it might be in the law, It's been forty years since I took the licensing exam. All lanes get equal use here. I prefer the middle lane. I like options. Speed limit is 55 here. Doing 60 in the left lane when no-one is around, only to have someone fly up behind you and sit on your bumper without giving you a chance to move over isn't what I would call teaching someone a lesson. Slowing to 45.. yeah. But when you're both traveling above the posted speed limit.. I guess both actions are less than ideal. One can be viewed as inappropriate. The other is unsafe.

For the sake of keeping this thread on topic.. I still haven't installed the seat cushion.

I'm 6'5" and you described perfectly how my TJ is setup. Even with extra height of the new seat foam, I still have plenty of headroom.

In every vehicle I drive, I always end up 10' short of the white line at stoplights so I can see the light.

Don't knock it. I'm 6'5" and have no issues seeing overhead traffic lights. Been using them in all of my vehicles since 2008. (y)

Not sure what gave you the impression that my daughter drives fast, or poorly. Neither. She just lacks confidence. I worry about some a-hole coming up behind her at speed and startling her. Or worse.

Not the case here. Well, it might be in the law, It's been forty years since I took the licensing exam. All lanes get equal use here. I prefer the middle lane. I like options. Speed limit is 55 here. Doing 60 in the left lane when no-one is around, only to have someone fly up behind you and sit on your bumper without giving you a chance to move over isn't what I would call teaching someone a lesson. Slowing to 45.. yeah. But when you're both traveling above the posted speed limit.. I guess both actions are less than ideal. One can be viewed as inappropriate. The other is unsafe.

For the sake of keeping this thread on topic.. I still haven't installed the seat cushion.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that you were attempting to teach anyone a lesson, I was just using the term my cop buddy used when telling me how they enforce lane laws here. That's why I put it in quotes. I guess it's supposed to be more about the flow of traffic than the actual posted speed limit. At least that's what he says. I tell him; "I don't buy it. You sonsabitches just want to write everyone a ticket...one guy for impeding traffic and the other for speeding.". 😁

And you're right. Totally off topic. I'll try to do better staying on topic.

Reactions: MikekiM

Sorry Mike. Didn't mean to imply that your daughter is a fast or poor driver. I was referring to worrying about her and also trying to tell a funny story. Poor choice of words on my part.

Damnit! I really need one of these for my drivers seat. When I first saw this thread, I looked into getting one and the price was $59.99. I thought I'd ask my wife to get me one for father's day. I just pulled up the link to send it to her and they are $90 now! That's a 50% increase in just a couple weeks! I'm blaming Biden! 😁

Sorry Mike. Didn't mean to imply that your daughter is a fast or poor driver. I was referring to worrying about her and also trying to tell a funny story. Poor choice of words on my part.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that you were attempting to teach anyone a lesson, I was just using the term my cop buddy used when telling me how they enforce lane laws here. That's why I put it in quotes. I guess it's supposed to be more about the flow of traffic than the actual posted speed limit. At least that's what he says. I tell him; "I don't buy it. You sonsabitches just want to write everyone a ticket...one guy for impeding traffic and the other for speeding.". 😁

And you're right. Totally off topic. I'll try to do better staying on topic.

No worries. All good!

TY

Anyone relocate their rear view mirror after? hahaha. I was NOT expecting to sit that high. I feel like I have to duck a bit to see under/around my rear view mirror now.

For anyone considering replacing their seat foam. I HIGHLY suggest it. Since I have Bartact covers I didn't bother using the hog rings on the original seat bottom fabric(I tried at first, but just too much of a pain.) Otherwise, it was such an easy process. So simple that when I did the passenger, I didn't bother pulling the seat out, I just swapped the foam with it in place and it took... maybe 15 minutes.

Anyone relocate their rear view mirror after? hahaha. I was NOT expecting to sit that high. I feel like I have to duck a bit to see under/around my rear view mirror now.

For anyone considering replacing their seat foam. I HIGHLY suggest it. Since I have Bartact covers I didn't bother using the hog rings on the original seat bottom fabric(I tried at first, but just too much of a pain.) Otherwise, it was such an easy process. So simple that when I did the passenger, I didn't bother pulling the seat out, I just swapped the foam with it in place and it took... maybe 15 minutes.

😂😂 yeah I had to adjust the side mirror. I haven't done the passenger side yet. The comparison between the to is the oem is much much softer. Maybe due to age or it started softer.

Either way, I could a longer trip in the new cushioned seat vs the original.

Last edited:

I've had no problem seeing around the mirror. I'm 5'7" even have 1.5" seat risers .

i asked and Summit confirmed the bushing kit is for both seats.

if you buy them, learn from my mistake and purchase with the seat foam so shipping is free. I tried to add later same day and they said they couldn't do it. shipping cost half of what the bushings cost (seems like a lot for a small, lightweight item and ground shipping)

I ordered two sets before I read this post,

Then realized I only need one set for the passenger seat for my 03.
Driver's seat didn't have any

So now I have three spares

Did my seats yesterday. The hogs rings that came with the seats worked ok with my HF pliers. I added zip ties to the rings on the outermost two attachment points.
I also did not unhook the plastic strip from the very rear of the seat mainly because I could barely see it. I just shoved the new foam in and gave it a couple of good wacks with the palm of my hand and it went in.
Not a bad job and now I can see my hood!