Came across a craigslist part out and caught a glimpse of a Currie AntiRock in one of the pics. Picked it up used with a rear sway bar with extended links, a set of rear bump stops and isolators with 3" extensions, and a set of perfect Sahara flares, all for $300.
We set the axles to approximate ride height relative to the frame (if anyone thinks these numbers are way off, please let me know):
12" Rear (Compressed Spring Length)
16" Front (Compressed Spring Length)
And added the front and rear track bars, sway bars and steering links:
The other end will be getting a new clutch kit from LUK:
I chose not to use the plastic bodied TOB that comes with the LUK kit. Many have used it with success, some have had issues... Seems safer to me to go with a new Timken 614093 ($35) that is almost identical to the one that was in there from the factory. Here is the Timken next to the plastic bodied LUK:
What a difference having the right tool makes. Got the Loaner pilot bearing puller from autozone and popped the pilot bearing right out with the slide hammer. Tried the grease trick and it just wouldn't pop.
Machined up this tool to put the new one in nice and square:
Also got the flywheel cleaned up with some 180 grit sand paper on the DA:
We have been working on the exhaust for the last few weeks. The goal of this exhaust system is to be reasonably inexpensive and corrosion proof. So all 300 series Stainless, no 400 series that will rust in new England.
Starting with the muffler build. This is my own design based loosly on a glass pack, but using stainless steel wool instead of glass packing that will blow out over time. We have a pair of these on our 65 mustang fastback and they sound incredible, not sure it will be great on the Jeep, if not, we will build something else:
Roll up some perforated sheet 1/8" holes on 3/16" centers:
Poke the ends through some stainless discs (cut out with hole saws):
Weld the little tabs without melting them (318 wire in the MIG with Tri-mix gas):
Exhaust system will follow the stock path, but again all 304 Stainless, entire exhaust will be 2.5" to keep it simple. Entire system was pieced together from (3) cut up 180 degree bends and (1) 48" piece of straight tubing. Starting at the manifold flange:
The converter is from Eastern Catalytic, it is one of the only ones that I could find that is made from 304 vs. 400 series stainless steel. But for some reason, they welded 400 series tubes onto the ends of it. We cut them off and welded new directly to the shell. This is a ceramic converter and they assured me that it is OBDII compliant, hopefully it is...
V-Band flange for the muffler:
Tacked together front pipe:
Plasma cutter for O2 bung hole, finished up with the die grinder:
Front pipe with the muffler on:
For the hanger at the transfer case we machined down some 3/4" stainless rod and added upper and lower support plates: