Tool quantities

I like to keep a basic tool bag in each vehicle, as well as a set of tools in the shed. At home, I generally use the tools in the shed, but if I need 2 of the same size wrench, I can go rob one from one of the vehicle's tool bags.

Every vehicle has a set of sockets, both metric and standard, a ratchet, a set of wrenches metric and standard, a crescent wrench, a couple pairs of pliers, a 4-bit screwdriver, Allen keys, and anything that is specifically useful on that vehicle. Oh, and a deep well socket that fits it's lugs and breaker bar.

I've collected tools for years so they are a mish-mash. As I've bought better tools, the cheaper ones end up in the car tool bags. Lots of harbor freight tools in the vehicles.😆

• Wow
Reactions: P man and lBasket
I like to keep a basic tool bag in each vehicle, as well as a set of tools in the shed. At home, I generally use the tools in the shed, but if I need 2 of the same size wrench, I can go rob one from one of the vehicle's tool bags.

Every vehicle has a set of sockets, both metric and standard, a ratchet, a set of wrenches metric and standard, a crescent wrench, a couple pairs of pliers, a 4-bit screwdriver, Allen keys, and anything that is specifically useful on that vehicle. Oh, and a deep well socket that fits it's lugs and breaker bar.

I've collected tools for years so they are a mish-mash. As I've bought better tools, the cheaper ones end up in the car tool bags. Lots of harbor freight tools in the vehicles.😆

I'd probably argue that if you need your tools on a trail, that's probably the absolute worst time for them to break

I'd probably argue that if you need your tools on a trail, that's probably the absolute worst time for them to break

You are absolutely right. I cannot argue with that logic, because it is very, very sound.

That said, I'm just being truthful about my tools and how I keep them set up. I'm not saying I couldn't make better choices. 🤣

You are absolutely right. I cannot argue with that logic, because it is very, very sound.

That said, I'm just being truthful about my tools and how I keep them set up. I'm not saying I couldn't make better choices. 🤣

I did the same thing and bought some cheaper tool sets for my jeep but then I started to worry about this haha

• Haha
Reactions: 97TJNM
How often do you break them?

I'm more likely to leave HF tools in my Jeep than I am Milwaukee because I won't feel as bad when they disappear.

Same.

BUT... I have an absolutely shitty set of star bits in my Jeep that I just need to throw away and replace with a better set. I've broken 3. I definitely don't want to depend on those on the trail. The sockets and wrenches in the Jeep I've used for years though, and am comfortable with them being used in an emergency. I guess it boils down to trusting the gear. It's okay if tools are cheap, as long as they are reliable.

Same.

BUT... I have an absolutely shitty set of star bits in my Jeep that I just need to throw away and replace with a better set. I've broken 3. I definitely don't want to depend on those on the trail. The sockets and wrenches in the Jeep I've used for years though, and am comfortable with them being used in an emergency. I guess it boils down to trusting the gear. It's okay if tools are cheap, as long as they are reliable.

Yeah, seems like a lot of what makes it cheap is bad QC, sometimes it seems like you get a "good set" and it lasts a long time!

Reactions: 97TJNM
Hi my name is Bucky and I’m a toolaholic.

I’m in the same boat. I sold my place in ND and moved my tools back to SoCal. The wife and I are at the age where it’s time to downsize all the crap we have acquired over the years.I do not want the wife to have to deal with all my stuff after I’m gone. My Son has no interest in tools. I have a large toolbox at home, 4 large toolboxes at the shop, my go to portable tool box, tool boxes for each Wrangler and still have several milk crates with spares of everything. My neighbor’s room mate just passed with no family and my neighbor gave me all of his tools. Through the yrs I’ve been given many tools because people know I can use them and they do not need them. I’ve slowly been going though them. Why do I have 6 large pipe cutters, 7 sets of pipe dies along with 3 complete sets of taps and dies with over 100 loose tapes and dies? Do I really need a 2” tap when I do not have a drill large enough to drill the hole?
I’m planning on having an Estate Sale later this yr and I have to figure out how to price everything. Some asshole will still offer me half of what I’m asking.
I know it’s a first world problem.

I keep a bunch of spare sockets,screwdrivers,wrenches and pliers in a bin. Then when i need to copy a specialty tool i can just cut and weld until the job is done

Hi my name is Bucky and I’m a toolaholic.

I’m in the same boat. I sold my place in ND and moved my tools back to SoCal. The wife and I are at the age where it’s time to downsize all the crap we have acquired over the years.I do not want the wife to have to deal with all my stuff after I’m gone. My Son has no interest in tools. I have a large toolbox at home, 4 large toolboxes at the shop, my go to portable tool box, tool boxes for each Wrangler and still have several milk crates with spares of everything. My neighbor’s room mate just passed with no family and my neighbor gave me all of his tools. Through the yrs I’ve been given many tools because people know I can use them and they do not need them. I’ve slowly been going though them. Why do I have 6 large pipe cutters, 7 sets of pipe dies along with 3 complete sets of taps and dies with over 100 loose tapes and dies? Do I really need a 2” tap when I do not have a drill large enough to drill the hole?
I’m planning on having an Estate Sale later this yr and I have to figure out how to price everything. Some asshole will still offer me half of what I’m asking.
I know it’s a first world problem.

I am in the same boat stoped wrenching after 40 years 2 complete set of tools. I have sold of some of the specialty stuff and got rid of a roll away, e-bay is your friend. There is a learning curve with the site and learning shipping methods.Offer up is almost a waste of time. I have duplicates of a lot of stuff like snap on plyers but I won’t give someone a $40 pair for $5 unless it was some kid taking up mechanics. I was thinking of doing just a tool sale for maybe 4 hours some morning ( Memorial Day? ) to see what else I can sell. we had a garage sale once and there were guys lined up early to see what tools where there. If not my motorhome may get a permanent snap-on tool kit.

It’s going to take me a couple of months to go through everything. I’m getting it done slow but sure. Ebay and craigslist are a pain. My shop is on a well traveled street so I think having an Estate Sale this fall is the lesser of evils. This is SoCal so I have to watch people to make sure they do not just walk off with stuff without paying or switching labels. Determining pricing is my biggest hurdle. It’s amazing how much shit you collect over the years when you have plenty of space to put it. I have a 40’ conex box full of stuff to go.

One of everything or multiples? I'm trying to thin out my tools so I can be more organized and get down to one tool box.

Will I regret having 1 of everything? It seems like I always use the same ratchet, screw driver etc all the time anyways.

I'm a hack mechanic not a production shop

The struggle is real😬.... going through my pile-— I have my tool box better sorted, I have a bag of tools, and a 5 gallon bucket of the ones that did not make the cut. I call it my staging bucket- I throw everything in it that is likely to not make the cut- I will make one more pass once I am done- then decision time or stuff this in the corner...for further procrastination but its out of the tool box

image.jpg

Reactions: P man and bucky