Toughness personified

Some of us and you know who you are, tend to need things that are a bit tougher than the standard fare. As such, I had my machinist make up some extra heavy duty clamps that will take a lot more punishment should the need arise.
Not cheap, but most tough things typically aren't. These first versions cost me 30 bucks each plus a bolt, washers, and nut.

Future versions will come down in price some and hopefully they can get out for 60 bucks a pair including shipping, hardware, and Loctite for the nuts. That will be for a stand-alone upgrade. They will be offered as an option on the tie rod over the regular clamps and the cost of the regular clamps will be deducted from that so likely a 40 dollar upgrade at that point. I'm going to try and get that down to 35 but I have my doubts. I'm also not sure if I should add to the cost by getting them plated or let ya'll just rattle can them to keep the cost lower.

These have a through hole specifically because the two bores misalign when the clamp is tightened. That messes up the bolt, the threaded hole, and causes bind which reduces clamping force. The holes are oversize slightly to compensate for that problem. View attachment 317046
Anxiously waiting on the 'future version'. Haven't installed the tie rod yet so may as well do them together.

@mrblaine can you elaborate on clamp orientation. My thought is to keep the cut slot oriented down and then align the clamp the same way as shown in the picture. I'm my mind this allows for the clamp to "close" the slot and create the needed clamping force. Plus, in this orientation, it keeps the passenger side clamp out of the way of everything. Is it not necessary to align the clamps in any particular orientation?

View attachment 317059
Like pictured regardless of slot orientation.

My vote would be for the DIY paint version. I prefer to paint my own stuff because it's just gonna get beat up anyways. I also like that it helps to keep cost down too.
That would be my preference as well since plating adds more to the cost than just what I pay for the plating. I have to get them there and back which has to be factored in and I'm not paying shipping on a 100 lbs of clamps nor am I trusting them to get them packed and here without losing any. That means we have to deliver and pick up.

That would be my preference as well since plating adds more to the cost than just what I pay for the plating. I have to get them there and back which has to be factored in and I'm not paying shipping on a 100 lbs of clamps nor am I trusting them to get them packed and here without losing any. That means we have to deliver and pick up.
Yeah, the more you detail the PIA factor, I can see the plating option gets real expensive real quick.

Reactions: Irun
It's pretty cool that you offer these specialty type items to the masses. Thanks much, Blaine.
These should be available soon. They were inspired by us making the same reservoir mount over and over. This is a rough hand built prototype. The laser cut and bent versions are much nicer.

DSC_6173.JPG

I'm glad you're offering these again. Was bummed when they went with only aluminum.

For those that may be hesitant, I ran one of his custom made for my full width for seven years of hard wheeling and prerunning KOH, and I've wedged a rock between the tie rod and diff, hung the front and had to drive back against it on Sledge plaque rock. It was probably flexed 5-6 inches the guys told me. I thought I was going to break a hiem. Only the slightest bend in it after. :D Great product.

IMG_20200214_155521.jpg

I'm glad you're offering these again. Was bummed when they went with only aluminum.

For those that may be hesitant, I ran one of his custom made for my full width for seven years of hard wheeling and prerunning KOH, and I've wedged a rock between the tie rod and diff, hung the front and had to drive back against it on Sledge plaque rock. It was probably flexed 5-6 inches the guys told me. I thought I was going to break a hiem. Only the slightest bend in it after. :D Great product.

View attachment 317196
Love all those lights, Paul. But, ahhh, just checking...do you, ahhh, have lockers???

;)

• Haha
Reactions: SvtLdr
Love all those lights, Paul. But, ahhh, just checking...do you, ahhh, have lockers???

;)
Safety first in the desert! :D I like good lights, but have never paid for them. Fortunately I had a good friend working at Vision X that gave me a box of returns. Or else I would likely have some incandescent sealed beams.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
They tighten up really nicely! There was no hint at all of the clamp stretching.