Toughness personified

200.gif

I always wanted one.

Last edited:
What is the heat treat process for something like those? Any different from what's done with knife blade steel?
Depends on what process your doing with the blades.
4340 is pretty versatile as far as how you would like to heat treat it. It picks up hardness pretty easy.

Endothermic- about 1525 deg, quench in 140 ish deg oil, temper to requirements

Induction-1500 deg min , quench in polymer/water mix or glycol/ water mix, even straight water ( I never liked straight water with 4340 as it likes to crack if cools too quick) temper to requirements

Vacuum- 1550 ( I like the high side of the austenite range for this process) argon or nitrogen( I prefer argon but either will work) quench at 1 or 2 Barr. I prefer to 1 Barr this material, temper to requirements

As far as the temper goes with 4340 you do not want to leave it out very long, especially if there are any sharp edges or if you are at the end of the raw bar stock, it like to crack after going through the austenite process, minimum 300 deg temper, only needs one. After the temper there is no problems

Depends on what process your doing with the blades.
4340 is pretty versatile as far as how you would like to heat treat it. It picks up hardness pretty easy.

Endothermic- about 1525 deg, quench in 140 ish deg oil, temper to requirements

Induction-1500 deg min , quench in polymer/water mix or glycol/ water mix, even straight water ( I never liked straight water with 4340 as it likes to crack if cools too quick) temper to requirements

Vacuum- 1550 ( I like the high side of the austenite range for this process) argon or nitrogen( I prefer argon but either will work) quench at 1 or 2 Barr. I prefer to 1 Barr this material, temper to requirements

As far as the temper goes with 4340 you do not want to leave it out very long, especially if there are any sharp edges or if you are at the end of the raw bar stock, it like to crack after going through the austenite process, minimum 300 deg temper, only needs one. After the temper there is no problems
I do all that the easy way. I just tell Alistair to bring them up to the highest level of resiliency and bend resistance as possible without being prone to cracking.

Patiently waiting. I took my tie rod off far too many times last season

I added some to the original post for you. They use the Currie/Rockjock 4x4 tie rod ends and new clamps. The reason for the new clamps is the RJ 4x4 tie rod has been turned down to use a smaller diameter clamp.
Excellent. Thanks. I have one of those in the attic ready to go.