Trail tools—prepared versus overkill

I'm still looking at electric chain saws without getting much closer to buying because the loggers I often wheel with usually have their gas powered chain saws out and the job half done before I can even get out of my jeep.

I have some overlanding friends who sing the praises of the Silky KATANABOY saw from Japan.

View attachment 207539
I have the kataboy and it is pretty awesome. It’s in the Jeep 100%. It can be a bit awkward at times but easier to use in other situations. I hate chainsawing above the chest but the kata is great for overhead cutting.

I also have a Milwaukee m18 that is amazing. It cuts really nicely and have a m18 charger in my Jeep but you still need to carry bar oil if you want to do a lot of cutting. M18 is nice you don’t need hearing protection but it’s also easy to forget how dangerous it can me. I loggers I wheel with do hate it but then always surprised.

I've recently added Code Reader to my tool bag. Peace of mind to know the check engine light is something minor.

I used to throw my old, cheap, spare, Chinese tools in my Jeep bag. Until I actually needed to fix something on the trail. When you're in the middle of nowhere, you definitely want stuff that works.

Oh yea, reminds me of the older folks lunch prep when I was younger and getting into wheelin. Foil wrapped hot dogs and hamburgers in the stowed away in the engine compartment. By time lunch hits, you've got a hot meal ready to go.

The Jeep engineers took it even further with one of their JT concepts.

there was a book published ~30 years ago called “Manifold Destiny” which was a cookbook with recipes to be prepared on your exhaust manifold. So, like, wrap the food in foil, place in the exhaust manifold and drive 30 miles, then turn over and drive another 30 miles.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1416596232/?tag=wranglerorg-20

No one carreys toilet paper?
I do... Here is about 1/2 roll. I pulled out the cardboard center and put the paper in the vacuum sealer we use for leftover food. Packs down to practically nothing (as wide as a single sheet and about 1/2" thick)...

IMG_0024.JPG

Reactions: EzPeezy
I do... Here is about 1/2 roll. I pulled out the cardboard center and put the paper in the vacuum sealer we use for leftover food. Packs down to practically nothing (as wide as a single sheet and about 1/2" thick)...

View attachment 207684
My thread has gone to crap...

I've recently added Code Reader to my tool bag. Peace of mind to know the check engine light is something minor.

I used to throw my old, cheap, spare, Chinese tools in my Jeep bag. Until I actually needed to fix something on the trail. When you're in the middle of nowhere, you definitely want stuff that works.
I keep a bluetooth OBD plugged in, then just use my phone to connect with the Torque app... Once I get my android Stereo installed, it should be able to do the Torque app, then I'll always be set without carrying anything :)

Oh yea, reminds me of the older folks lunch prep when I was younger and getting into wheelin. Foil wrapped hot dogs and hamburgers in the stowed away in the engine compartment. By time lunch hits, you've got a hot meal ready to go.
You kids started installing unnecessary hood vents for looks and lost the ability to have an easy hot lunch. Somehow in the process yall lost the ability to understand what a good idea that really is.

That's a very good post. Of all the times you don't want to fight something. Ever be in that situation and nightfall is setting in? Gets urgent.

You kids started installing unnecessary hood vents for looks and lost the ability to have an easy hot lunch. Somehow in the process yall lost the ability to understand what a good idea that really is.
You dont have to tell me, not a single hood vent or self installed aftermarket fender vents for me. Like you, I prefer to make use of all that heat in the engine compartment.

Seriously about the toilet paper, you guys need to get these! I keep a container of these in my go-bag and in Heep. Awesome little things, biodegradable, clean, easy.

Toilet Paper tabs

This is awesome. Had to you tube it and of course first video is a hunter using them for a :poop: in the woods!

@Mr.Bills, do you have a thread on your gear? Am interested in the portable toilet you use for overlanding.

The toilet is an ordinary Reliance Folding Portable Toilet from Walmart, currently $29.63. There are more expensive options, but this one works just as well and is easily replaceable. In fact, I sold my first one last year to a whale watch tour operator in Baja California who needed portable toilets and other gear for her camp, then replaced it when I got home.

I store it in a 16x16x5 zippered bag I had made for me by Blue Ridge Overland Gear.

I've used my Hi-lift a bunch. Once to jack up a camp. Once to jack up a deck. Once to jack up a dock... great around the house but useless on the trail.

I've used my Hi-lift a bunch. . . . . . . great around the house but useless on the trail.

Au contraire.

The handle makes a great sleeve as a trail fix to keep a straightened tie rod straight long enough to get home - in one friend's case 400 miles from the Rubicon Trail to his driveway.

:)