Trail tools—prepared versus overkill

Au contraire.

The handle makes a great sleeve as a trail fix to keep a straightened tie rod straight long enough to get home - in one friend's case 400 miles from the Rubicon Trail to his driveway.

:)
Been my Hi-lift advice forever. Buy one, throw the handle in the back of the rig, throw the rest away.

I keep seeing all these teens around town with a high lift mounted on the hood, I'm not sure I could even lift one that high. They also have dented hoods.

Reactions: 5632
I keep seeing all these teens around town with a high lift mounted on the hood, I'm not sure I could even lift one that high. They also have dented hoods.

Meh, I have mine mounted there, have used it a time or two but its out of the way. If I had a nicer Jeep I probably would care more but mine is just for fun. I would not do it again but since it's already there, haven't come up with a good reason to remove it.

Meh, I have mine mounted there, have used it a time or two but its out of the way. If I had a nicer Jeep I probably would care more but mine is just for fun. I would not do it again but since it's already there, haven't come up with a good reason to remove it.
Mine is in the same spot for the same reason. I bought the Jeep with it there, did not want to move the weight to the back.

I guess I'm the guy everyone else wants on their trip because I carry TOO much stuff. I've got SAE & Metric wrenches in small to large & then 3/8" & 1/2" sockets of many sizes. Then pliers and crescent wrenches, allen wrench & Torx wrenches plus an assortment of nuts/washers & a few bolts.

I have 2 welders so I can either stick weld or mig weld & then with onboard air I can run air tools. And of course I carry a High Lift jack. But I use mine. Used it to lift my Jeep up to get something under a wheel or to move it over when wedged in spots. Also used it to break beads on tires before I got my tire tools. Since I don't carry a spare I figured tire repair tools were a good idea.

1608926537737.png

Tyre Pliers Kit (westernex.com.au)

Also carry a chainsaw & safety items to go with.

IMGP1842.jpg

I have a Pull-Pal for those times there isn't a tree or rock or other vehicle around. Also have a 4 1/2" grinder for those metal repairs. Welder has a 115V plug on it so I can power up tools or other electrical items.
Have a High Lift Handle All & a Max Ax since I live in the PNW plus a regular shovel. I'm sure I have more stuff but can't think of what.

And I've used my High Lift handle to repair a broken tie rod before. Did the trail repair and welded on it more back in camp and drove around on it for 3 weeks before I got my new tie rod.

IMGP0448.JPG

Ready Welder with a 20' extension cord.

IMG00453.jpg

Premier Power welder.

IMGP0928.jpg

I like being prepared for stuff and have used both welders 4-5 times on the trail and a few more times back in camp to do repairs.

I guess I'm the guy everyone else wants on their trip because I carry TOO much stuff. I've got SAE & Metric wrenches in small to large & then 3/8" & 1/2" sockets of many sizes. Then pliers and crescent wrenches, allen wrench & Torx wrenches plus an assortment of nuts/washers & a few bolts.

I have 2 welders so I can either stick weld or mig weld & then with onboard air I can run air tools. And of course I carry a High Lift jack. But I use mine. Used it to lift my Jeep up to get something under a wheel or to move it over when wedged in spots. Also used it to break beads on tires before I got my tire tools. Since I don't carry a spare I figured tire repair tools were a good idea.

View attachment 213154

Tyre Pliers Kit (westernex.com.au)

Also carry a chainsaw & safety items to go with.

View attachment 213164

I have a Pull-Pal for those times there isn't a tree or rock or other vehicle around. Also have a 4 1/2" grinder for those metal repairs. Welder has a 115V plug on it so I can power up tools or other electrical items.
Have a High Lift Handle All & a Max Ax since I live in the PNW plus a regular shovel. I'm sure I have more stuff but can't think of what.

And I've used my High Lift handle to repair a broken tie rod before. Did the trail repair and welded on it more back in camp and drove around on it for 3 weeks before I got my new tie rod.

View attachment 213159

Ready Welder with a 20' extension cord.

View attachment 213162

Premier Power welder.

View attachment 213163

I like being prepared for stuff and have used both welders 4-5 times on the trail and a few more times back in camp to do repairs.
@Wildman - trail preparedness -

Announces Last Call GIF

One thing I forgot to add is that by having a Premier Power welder & the Ready Welder I don't have to unhook my batteries to use the Ready Welder. I can just the Premier welder to power the Ready welder as long as I am not welding on my own vehicle. That is the only time I'm required to disconnect my batteries.

I don't know what the whole reason is but it's in the instructions.

Toilet paper?

Heathens.

View attachment 215114

Besides being easy on your tuchus, they double as hand wipes and triple as fire starters.
Just, you know, not with the same wipe. 😉

Yes wipes are great but you can't do the cat hole anymore if you do. I keep an entrenching tool next to the toilet supplies for this. If I'm in an area where you can't use the cat hole anymore I also have bags to put the used product in. into.

Yes wipes are great but you can't do the cat hole anymore if you do. I keep an entrenching tool next to the toilet supplies for this. If I'm in an area where you can't use the cat hole anymore I also have bags to put the used product in. into.
In the Jeep anymore I just carry a Reliance folding shitter and doody bags when out on the trails. The weight and size is negligible. I’ve squatted over more than enough holes in the ground, and it keeps the wife happier. The wipes are biodegradable but I’m sure they take longer to break down than tp if buried. When I was still running teams, they were a blessing in the winter, as they didn’t freeze and you had something to wipe off your hands after popping harness clips on tug lines.

Reactions: Wildman
In the Jeep anymore I just carry a shitter and doody bags when out on the trails. The weight and size is negligible. I’ve squatted over more than enough holes in the ground, and it keeps the wife happier. The wipes are biodegradable but I’m sure they take longer to break down than tp if buried. When I was still running teams, they were a blessing in the winter, as they didn’t freeze and you had something to wipe off your hands after popping harness clips on tug lines.

Damn I wish they'd had kool shit like this 40 years ago.

I have one of those I bought back when I had two legs and it was a PITA but I know I couldn't get back up off one now. I need to look around and see if I can find a taller one.

Reactions: mushdogs
Damn I wish they'd had kool shit like this 40 years ago.

I have one of those I bought back when I had two legs and it was a PITA but I know I couldn't get back up off one now. I need to look around and see if I can find a taller one.
You're right, the Reliance is short. Pretty much everything portable seems to be in the 14-16” height unfortunately.