Trail Welding Option

What does CC mean, Tommy?

…and for that matter what does HF mean?

😳
Constant current. Stick and tig use CC. The current (or Amps) remains constant through out the life of the stick or tungsten. Notice that the stick welds the same (unless it overheats at the end like mine do) when you are using new sticks all the way to the little stub.

“CV” is constant voltage. CV is used with most wires (mig, flux core, submerged arc, etc). Constant voltage is when the volts remain the same but the amps vary/hunt. The benefit of CV is you can vary the heat by the amount of stick out or how close you get to the part being welded.

With wire, we are pushing the metal to the part, with stick, we are varying the distance by the length if the rod

HF is high frequency. It’s used in tig, plasma and some mig processes. My shop uses HF to initiate a arc start, after a stable spray arc is established ( 0.5-1.0 second) the HF stops it’s output. HF is brutal on unshielded electronics. Even polymers and silicone will break down from HF.

Here is a pic of an unpainted weld we do

6BE3CB53-221A-421E-845F-8EC7E2D28C37.jpeg

Last edited:
This is not a deal breaker for any of the welders Rick linked to but a few things to consider, the size is one. Plus if you already have dual batts, you are carrying extra weight.

Second is the length of “push” the feeder has to do. In the field, I would prefer the shortest distance possible from the feed rolls to the tip. The readywelder has the rolls about a foot from the tip. So does the other spool gun linked to. You can wrap your leads as tight as you want with that type. The remote feeder/rolls have to be gently rolled so you don’t bend the liner or kink the wire inside.

On the trail, it’s never ideal, so the less things you to overcome the better the welds and repair will be.

I like the shape of the readywelder. It can reach tighter places than a spool gun type, maybe not as flexible as a remote feedroll drive but close. One issue I have with the readywelder is the speed pot adjustment and how easy it moves. My gloves hit the potentiometer dial too easy and the result is never good. Plus I’m usually in some odd position where readjusting is not easy.

Rick, can you run the ready welder off of the premier?

Yes and it was one of the reasons why I'd kept the Ready Welder. The ONE bad thing is that you cannot weld on your own vehicle with the Ready Welder as it will damage the electronics. Ready Welder website seems to be having issues and I can't find the page that talks about this.

This is what Off-Road.Com said.

https://www.off-road.com/jeep/revie...ities you can complete all you welding needs!
The Ready Welder II can be combined with your already existing Premier Power Welder for the ultimate in current control welding. Combining the Power Welder and Ready Welder II allows you to weld either MIG, TIG, or ARC style welding of your choice. With these types of capabilities you can complete all you welding needs!

Reactions: DEValken
Rick, if the batteries are not connected to the vehicle, then you can use the readywelder on your own vehicle. My system uses anderson connectors to create a 24v yoke for the readywelder. This disconnects the ground(s) and positive completely. It is like the batteries are just sitting ion the vehicle.

12%20to%2024v_zpsdhyt812t.jpg

IMG_2328_zpsa7rl0tlj.jpg

IMG_2329_zps9mrd7o9i.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: NskLJ
Rick, if the batteries are not connected to the vehicle, then you can use the readywelder on your own vehicle. My system uses anderson connectors to create a 24v yoke for the readywelder. This disconnects the ground(s) and positive completely. It is like the batteries are just sitting ion the vehicle.

View attachment 306784

That wasn't what I was talking about.
Jeff asked is you can use the Ready Welder with the Premier Power welder. And yes you can but the information I got from them says you cannot use the Ready Welder on your own vehicle unless the part is removed.
And I would guess that it has something to do with what you'd posted earlier.

HF is brutal on unshielded electronics. Even polymers and silicone will break down from HF.

Reactions: WSS
Stick setups are a lot cheaper at a couple hundred bucks for this one. And a lot cheaper than that if you assemble a kit yourself from Harbor Freight and a welding supply shop. Of course they come with the removing and reinstalling batteries hassle.
http://www.trailweld.com/
DSC_6701_At_Scale.png

Stick setups are a lot cheaper at a couple hundred bucks for this one. And a lot cheaper than that if you assemble a kit yourself from Harbor Freight and a welding supply shop. Of course they come with the removing and reinstalling batteries hassle.
http://www.trailweld.com/View attachment 306787

And they come with limitations to. IMO they are great for trail repairs but that is about it. But yes they are cheaper but some of those other kits have come down in price.

And they come with limitations to. IMO they are great for trail repairs but that is about it. But yes they are cheaper but some of those other kits have come down in price.
All I care to carry is something that will stick metal together well enough to get off the trail and on a trailer. Fancy welding and repairs are best done indoors :)

Reactions: Wildman
All I care to carry is something that will stick metal together well enough to get off the trail and on a trailer. Fancy welding and repairs are best done indoors :)

And that works. I had the funds for the Premier and don't regret buying it. The Ready Welder just sort of fell in my lap.

View attachment 306784

View attachment 306785

View attachment 306786
Nice set up, where did you install the second battery in your vehicle?

http://www.trailweld.com/View attachment 306787
The goggles look like the same type I carry. So far they have worked when I need them.

That wasn't what I was talking about.
Jeff asked is you can use the Ready Welder with the Premier Power welder. And yes you can but the information I got from them says you cannot use the Ready Welder on your own vehicle unless the part is removed.
And I would guess that it has something to do with what you'd posted earlier.
Ahh!! Welding through the premier pack. Makes more sense.

Nice set up, where did you install the second battery in your vehicle?
That sir was a chore!! I ended up putting it on the driver side firewall where the ABS pump thingy “used to be”. I had hoped to squeeze them in the same side like I’ve done on my other builds

This is what I was hoping for:
IMG_0025_zpsffhpbxu0.jpg

This is what I ended up with:

IMG_1888_zps0zgaayte.jpg

IMG_1892_zpsr4ehtc6r.jpg

• Love
Reactions: NskLJ and Wildman
That sir was a chore!! I ended up putting it on the driver side firewall where the ABS pump thingy “used to be”. I had hoped to squeeze them in the same side like I’ve done on my other builds

This is what I was hoping for:
View attachment 306843

This is what I ended up with:

View attachment 306844

View attachment 306845
I was also thinking of just carrying a jumper pack then you could use the under hood battery and the jumper pack to weld. I used 2 agm batteries for my power box and I have a small charger. I need to rig up a cigar lighter plug and install one in the back of my Jeep to recharge while driving.

Reactions: WSS and srimes
Mine run on 24volts be it from 2 12volt batteries wired in series at 24volts or 1 12volt battery to a step up converter at 24volts. I have only gotten great feedback from everyone that has one from me (71so far). Try it out sometime I’m sure you’ll be surprised
@Thatdamfool79 @FuckASpoolGun

Reactions: TRE3TOP
Mine run on 24volts be it from 2 12volt batteries wired in series at 24volts or 1 12volt battery to a step up converter at 24volts. I have only gotten great feedback from everyone that has one from me (71so far). Try it out sometime I’m sure you’ll be surprised
Need more information on the web site maybe a video

Ditto, more info. These would be ideal for the overlanding crowd. TJ’s are so limited on space.

You have some cool stuff on your site!

This one looks pretty dope actually, especially with the converter it’s talking about so it can run off a single battery if needed.
Lagace's site says the convertor ships from separately. Must be a special made item. That would solve a lot of problems and make the kit usable anywhere.

Reactions: TRE3TOP and Wildman