Trail Welding Option

1F4DF071-38F6-471E-B82E-D1A72890A420.jpeg
This is one I built for a buddy welder is the bigger case and inverter in the smaller csse

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
have seen the Bun Trail Welder in use twice...welds good.
I guess if you don’t mind the bulky hard to get into places along with how heavy a spool gun is then sure it will work. I actually have one that I got from a guy who purchased one of mine and gave me his he just bought cause I didn’t even use it cause how big and awkward it felt to him.😂😂😂so now I use it as a side by side comparison and people are going with mine every time 🤷🏿‍♂️🤷🏿‍♂️Just sayin

Reactions: TRE3TOP
I picked up a ready welder a few years ago, it works great burns hot! I was in Moab with a buddy who had one and he made a battery pack for his. I had to have one so I built one when I got home. Makes it real easy, pull 2 cases out, hook up cables, weld and go.

View attachment 306651

View attachment 306652

View attachment 306652

View attachment 306653

This looks like an incredibly portable solution and much more convenient than pulling batteries and running them up the hill to the broken rig. Have you put it to use yet? I don't know how to quantify it but do those batteries actually have enough juice to provide adequate (hard to define) runtime?

Last edited:
This looks like an incredibly portable solution and much more convenient than pulling batteries and running them up the hill to the broken rig. Have you put it to use yet? I don't know how to quantify it but do those batteries actually have enough juice to provide adequate (hard to define) runtime?

I have used mine at home practicing and welding a vise on a bumper and I welded my steering gear bot to the frame after the bolt holes stripped. I just tack welded it to tow it home. I didn’t want it . My buddy has the same setup (which I copied) we used it in Moab to tack an exhaust, weld a track bar bracket back on and one other repair. This was without recharging.

Right off their website:
[URL][URL][URL]https://premierpowerwelder.com/[/URL][/URL][/URL]

Hey that IS what this forum is supposed to be about isn't it? Sharing information? Glad I could help.

I need your attention on this one. I am wanting to acquire a welder for some projects related to my Jeep and a trailer build down the road. Here are the objectives I am trying to accomplish, Can you help me find a reasonable solution?

Objective 1: Function = Will Weld Anything I may need to weld on the trail, my trailer build, or accessories like EVO rock guards, etc.

Objective 2: Portability = Something i can take on the trail and use to fix something in a pinch. This is important because powering the portable welder needs to be considered in the cost of welding atlanta.

I need your attention on this one. I am wanting to acquire a welder for some projects related to my Jeep and a trailer build down the road. Here are the objectives I am trying to accomplish, Can you help me find a reasonable solution?

Objective 1: Function = Will Weld Anything I may need to weld on the trail, my trailer build, or accessories like EVO rock guards, etc.

Objective 2: Portability = Something i can take on the trail and use to fix something in a pinch. This is important because powering the portable welder needs to be considered in the cost.

Objective 3: Cost = As cheap as possible and "total" price should include the welder and anything needed to power it on the trail, assuming something additional is needed.

Objective 4: Space = i'm rolling in a jeep not a suburban, space is at a premium. The smaller the better.

Options I am Considering
1. ReadyWelder Kit $600, Dual Battery Setup Under the Hood $300 = Almost a grand

icon_naw.gif
OUCH!

2. Portable Welder $300 Compact Camping Generator $300 = $600 but i may need to get rid of my rear seat to store it all.

icon_naw.gif

3. ????? What do you guys think?? What are others using???

Any assistance is appreciated.

Objective 2: Portability = Something i can take on the trail and use to fix something in a pinch. This is important because powering the portable welder needs to be considered in the cost.

Objective 3: Cost = As cheap as possible and "total" price should include the welder and anything needed to power it on the trail, assuming something additional is needed.

Objective 4: Space = i'm rolling in a jeep not a suburban, space is at a premium. The smaller the better.

Options I am Considering
1. ReadyWelder Kit $600, Dual Battery Setup Under the Hood $300 = Almost a grand

View attachment 393379 OUCH!

2. Portable Welder $300 Compact Camping Generator $300 = $600 but i may need to get rid of my rear seat to store it all.

View attachment 393380

Another option, I haven't used one but seems handy.

https://karnagewelder.com/

Another option, I haven't used one but seems handy.

https://karnagewelder.com/

I have used the karnage trailside and it works great. I like it because it uses a regular MIG torch and the spool is in the case which doesn't limit your ability to access areas. It is expensive but on my list to buy one day.

I have used the karnage trailside and it works great. I like it because it uses a regular MIG torch and the spool is in the case which doesn't limit your ability to access areas. It is expensive but on my list to buy one day.

seeing the price kinda makes me want to build my own blend of a karnage (wirefeed mechanism in a case) and ready welder (battery cable hookups).

just need an appropriately sized case, a set of jumper cables and cannibalize the wire feed assembly, torch and control switches out of a Harbor Freight flux core welder. I bet I could have less than $100 in it if I bought used stuff.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ

Options I am Considering

View attachment 393379 OUCH!

View attachment 393380

If you absolutely want to minimize cost, minimize storage space, and maximize portability, I suggest looking at carrying a stick welder setup for the trail. A set of jumper cables (should already be on your rig), a short single connector to connect two batteries in series, a few rods, access to an extra battery in a buddies rig, and learn to stick weld if you don’t already have that skill. That is a great option for a trail repair. I carried that setup for years before I put in an on board welder.

Here’s the thing: Your first objective combines mutually exclusive expected results. In my opinion (others may correct me here) there is not a battery based welder setup which can touch a decent plug-in mig welder for shop use. If you try to use a battery based setup to fabricate things in your shop, you will not be happy with the results. Fine for trail repairs, but I would definitely not try to fab anything substantial.

The only way to effectively combine a portable setup for trail repairs and a good setup for fabrication is to go the Premier Power Welder (or similar) setup. That is the only jeep-portable setup which is also a fantastic welder. You can TIG weld with that setup. The downside of course is the cost. Something like $1500 bucks for a TJ setup I believe.

Costly, but if you go the pure cheap portable route you will likely be buying a shop welder at some point anyway. Compared to buying a descent shop welder, as well as a descent portable setup, the cost comparitive looks better.

The downside of using the Premier in the shop is that you can only weld so long before your jeep runs out of battery. It is also not nearly as easy to use as a decent plug-in welder.

Great topic, boys. Thoughts on my diatribe?

Last edited:
The Karnage actually burns very well, it has a great sound when your welding and you get good penetration. The actual trail side repair that I did using the karnage is a permanent repair, I did not redo it when I got back home. Bad thing is that you get a limited amount of time with the batteries. You can recharge in the rig, but it takes a while. It is not a shop welder, but it actually welds pretty damn good.

Other good thing about the Karnage is that the case is decent size and doesn't take up that much room. You need to also carry a set of gloves, grinder, and some sort of face/eye protection. On the trip that I used the welder, my buddy was a carrying a full size helmet which took up more room than the actual welder. I think he was going to replace it with a leather mask.

Also, since it gets good penetration you can use it to run down the street and fix your buddies thingamajig (lawn tractor, metal gate, whatever) or take it out to the duck blind to make repairs, etc... I drug a motor driven stick welder out to a metal bridge on a mountain bike trail last year and that sucker was heavy even with the wheels I struggled. With the karnage I could have easily got back there, fixed the bridge and then been back in parking lot drinking beer.

My thought is that if you "typically" wheel with the same group, that only one of you need to buy the welder no reason for everyone to purchase one.

Not saying that Karnage is the best or what everyone should buy, just providing my experience.

The Karnage actually burns very well, it has a great sound when your welding and you get good penetration. The actual trail side repair that I did using the karnage is a permanent repair, I did not redo it when I got back home. Bad thing is that you get a limited amount of time with the batteries. You can recharge in the rig, but it takes a while. It is not a shop welder, but it actually welds pretty damn good.

Other good thing about the Karnage is that the case is decent size and doesn't take up that much room. You need to also carry a set of gloves, grinder, and some sort of face/eye protection. On the trip that I used the welder, my buddy was a carrying a full size helmet which took up more room than the actual welder. I think he was going to replace it with a leather mask.

Also, since it gets good penetration you can use it to run down the street and fix your buddies thingamajig (lawn tractor, metal gate, whatever) or take it out to the duck blind to make repairs, etc... I drug a motor driven stick welder out to a metal bridge on a mountain bike trail last year and that sucker was heavy even with the wheels I struggled. With the karnage I could have easily got back there, fixed the bridge and then been back in parking lot drinking beer.

My thought is that if you "typically" wheel with the same group, that only one of you need to buy the welder no reason for everyone to purchase one.

Not saying that Karnage is the best or what everyone should buy, just providing my experience.

30A83B81-186D-4F0D-9CD9-B201A711CEA9.jpeg

🙂

Edit: Rick has a pic very similar to this…

seeing the price kinda makes me want to build my own blend of a karnage (wirefeed mechanism in a case) and ready welder (battery cable hookups).

just need an appropriately sized case, a set of jumper cables and cannibalize the wire feed assembly, torch and control switches out of a Harbor Freight flux core welder. I bet I could have less than $100 in it if I bought used stuff.

Now I like this idea to replace my Ready Welder with. And since I've got a Premier Power welder I can power it moist of the time & with some 30' leads I could reach out and touch someone.

View attachment 393403

🙂

Edit: Rick has a pic very similar to this…

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Never did figure out why I had my hands in the air...

IMG_3550.JPG