Trail Welding Option

One main point to remember is that you cannot weld on your own vehicle if using a Ready Welder type setup while using the Premier Power Welder to power it. I'm not sure of the reason why but it is in the instructions.
I have the Ready Welder and carry it along with arc rod so I have the choice of welders. And I've used both for doing trail repairs.
I'd love to see where in the Ready Welder instructions it says you can't weld on your own vehicle. I've seen Ready Welders used countless times on the vehicle whose battery it was connected to. Not to mention for heavier welding it needs two batteries connected in series that are usually sitting on the ground. Kind of reminds me of the old wive's tales claiming the battery needs to be disconnected inside a vehicle before doing any welding on it from an external welder like a MIG or stick welder. If anything the battery acts like a big capacitor to serve as a protective device to absorb any voltage spikes.

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
I'd love to see where in the Ready Welder instructions it says you can't weld on your own vehicle. I've seen Ready Welders used countless times on the vehicle whose battery it was connected to. Not to mention for heavier welding it needs two batteries connected in series that are usually sitting on the ground. Kind of reminds me of the old wive's tales claiming the battery needs to be disconnected inside a vehicle before doing any welding on it from an external welder like a MIG or stick welder. If anything the battery acts like a big capacitor to serve as a protective device to absorb any voltage spikes.

I said when using the Premier Power welder to power the Ready Welder. But for your benefit I'll find this quote and post it. I was not referring to when using your batteries to power the Ready Welder. This only applies when you're using the Premier Power welder.

On the Premier Power Welder, when welding on your own vehicle you can't use straight polarity (electrode negative) or Premier states you will damage the vehicle. Normal, reverse polarity (electrode positive) is fine. Does the Ready Welder require running in straight polarity when powered by the Premier for some reason?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
For at home welding and fab work, I recommend picking up a small, quality plug-in MIG welder like a Miller or Lincoln. Leave the battery driven stuff for the trail. If you have access to 220, you are much better off getting a 220 volt machine rather than a 110. My first MIG was a Lincoln 175 - I think the current model is a 180. It has the capability to weld anything Jeep related - not so much with the 110 volt machines. You can pick up a new one for under a grand.

The Premier Power welder would work well for fabbing at home - it is a top-quality welder that gives excellent results - but is a pain to use compared to a dedicated machine.

ESAB and Everlast also make quality machines. I've been running Everlast for about 5 years with no complaints. They're also a US company so that's a plus

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Here ya go Jerry.

20230424_132847.jpg

20230424_132858.jpg

Not a wivestail, straight from the Vendor's paperwork.

20230424_132914.jpg

On the Premier Power Welder, when welding on your own vehicle you can't use straight polarity (electrode negative) or Premier states you will damage the vehicle. Normal, reverse polarity (electrode positive) is fine. Does the Ready Welder require running in straight polarity when powered by the Premier for some reason?

Yes when using the Ready Welder you're supposed to use straight polarity.

My apologies, I missed that the Ready Welder was connected to a Premier Power Welder for power. I am used to Ready Welders only being connected to batteries.

Reactions: 4Lo4Sho
I appreciate the info in this thread.

I'm going to have the funds available in March of '24 and I've been thinking hard about an onboard Welder setup. I'm a good Mig and Stick welder with a background in Set design/set construction in the theatre. Built the cage for our CJ5 and added a lot of bits to our little utility trailer using an ol' reliable Lincoln "crackerbox" stick welder over the last 5-10 years.

I think i'm going to be settling on the Premier Power welder, since I honestly don't have room for anything "kit based", plus I can see the benefit of an upgraded alternator, having done some heavy winching last year using another rig with only a 95-100 amp setup. I should be able to store the leads, electrodes, gauntlets and mask/hood without much drama.

The factory 117 amp alternator is more than up to hard winching since the battery provides most, all if required, of the required amps. I'd reconsider the Readywelder, it really works well and is portable.

I appreciate the info in this thread.

I'm going to have the funds available in March of '24 and I've been thinking hard about an onboard Welder setup. I'm a good Mig and Stick welder with a background in Set design/set construction in the theatre. Built the cage for our CJ5 and added a lot of bits to our little utility trailer using an ol' reliable Lincoln "crackerbox" stick welder over the last 5-10 years.

I think i'm going to be settling on the Premier Power welder, since I honestly don't have room for anything "kit based", plus I can see the benefit of an upgraded alternator, having done some heavy winching last year using another rig with only a 95-100 amp setup. I should be able to store the leads, electrodes, gauntlets and mask/hood without much drama.

Although a bit pricey, you can't go wrong with the Premier. It's a great welder. As Jerry says, the downside is that it is not portable (meaning you can't move it from vehicle to vehicle - the Jeep will move around just fine... :)). But in terms of what you have to carry, the Premier takes up much less space.

As I understand it, to run it properly the Ready Welder requires two batteries to get enough current. If you are by yourself, you are screwed (unless you are packing a second battery - then see my point above).

But there is no comparison between the welding capabilities of Premier and the Ready Welder. The ready welder is a good trail repair welder - but the Premier is a great welder. You can TIG weld with the Premier. You also get the benefit of a new 195 alternator.

Reactions: 4Lo4Sho and Wildman
The factory 117 amp alternator is more than up to hard winching since the battery provides most, all if required, of the required amps. I'd reconsider the Readywelder, it really works well and is portable.

I'd disagree with you on this when doing longer winch pulls. We've had this discussion before and it's one of the reasons I run dual batteries and have the 195 amp alt along with the Premier. I do also have the Ready Welder but that was because I'd happened to get one for a deal.

I agree with Nashville, if you know how to use it the Premier is a great welder and I've repaired more than one rig on the trail with mine. Jeff & I both mounted our welders in the glovebox area.

Here is a video of the Premier in action in Moab last Spring. Fixing a broken tie rod on a Bronco (Yes, of course it broke...:rolleyes:).

The Welder operates at 6,000 hz - that is the reason for the high pitched sound. That is also the reason for great penetration, puddle modulation, and the ability to TIG.

...and no, that is not me doing the welding.

I'd disagree with you on this when doing longer winch pulls. We've had this discussion before and it's one of the reasons I run dual batteries and have the 195 amp alt along with the Premier. I do also have the Ready Welder but that was because I'd happened to get one for a deal.

I agree with Nashville, if you know how to use it the Premier is a great welder and I've repaired more than one rig on the trail with mine. Jeff & I both mounted our welders in the glovebox area.

Great minds...

Jeep - Welder - Small Pic - 1-28-2014 008.jpg

And be prepared to get some cool accessories:

Jeep - Welder - 1-28-2014 009.JPG

I'd disagree with you on this when doing longer winch pulls. We've had this discussion before and it's one of the reasons I run dual batteries and have the 195 amp alt along with the Premier.
In my experience with doing repeated pulls and even multiple repeated pulls like being stationed at the top of an obstacle where almost everyone needs a tug, I've yet to have my high AH AGM battery go dead or even be discharged enough that I couldn't pull any more. Few pulls were maxed out full load winch running out of power but most were solid pulls. I do keep the engine revved and 'give it a rest' with high engine rpms between pulls but I've yet to have a problem. I've even had to winch my TJ off the trail twice on battery power alone when the engine couldn't be started. The battery was still good to start the engine after fixing the engine problem.

Thanks @Wildman & @NashvilleTJ for encouraging me to add more mods to the list :cool:.

Is this what the millennials call "being triggered"?

In my experience with doing repeated pulls and even multiple repeated pulls like being stationed at the top of an obstacle where almost everyone needs a tug, I've yet to have my high AH AGM battery go dead or even be discharged enough that I couldn't pull any more. Few pulls were maxed out full load winch running out of power but most were solid pulls. I do keep the engine revved and 'give it a rest' with high engine rpms between pulls but I've yet to have a problem. I've even had to winch my TJ off the trail twice on battery power alone when the engine couldn't be started. The battery was still good to start the engine after fixing the engine problem.

My experience has been different. But I'm also dealing with the PNW mud when pulling people or myself. I always connect the second battery on those types of pulls. We have a few hills that are 300' so it's multiple pulls at once.