Fuel pump and (possibly) filter inside the glass dome. It may also have a vacuum pump function for running wipers. I had some Willys Wagons once, but it's been a while.

its been a long time since I posted an update, but I have been chipping away at my projects, one hour at a time. per week. The chasis is done and ready to run, so I've focused my attention on the body, and just like the chasis, I thought it didn't need much, but is a complete mess on more careful examination. So I've been sand blasting, cutting, welding, grinding and so forth to get it back into decent shape.

PXL_20211116_151010092.jpg

They must have drilled a 1000 holes in this thing, The gas tank well below the driver seat was completely rusted out, so I cut it away, and put a flat floor in its place. I am adding a fuel cell to the back. I don't like sitting on my gas tank. The lower... lets call it a rocker panel for easy understanding... was tissue thin and had to be cut out too.

PXL_20240305_160535689.jpg

The previous bubba had also cut the upper lip of the tub for a hacked together top of some kind, I have been repairing that, and things like this...

PXL_20240330_163513312.jpg

PXL_20240330_163515112.jpg

PXL_20240330_172329673.jpg

PXL_20240403_135948609.jpg

So the work goes on. I've never done any body work before and I've never welded sheet metal, so Its been a learning experience. Its never going to be perfect, but structurally sound would be nice.

Body work is looking good! At least, from my untrained eye, lol

Agree. Also seems like the perfect rig to for learning body work. A million little spots to practice on and nobody expects an old Willys to have ripple free sheet metal. If it is perfect, @kmas0n is a genius; if not, we all still love it.

Reactions: Tob and kmas0n
Agree. Also seems like the perfect rig to for learning body work. A million little spots to practice on and nobody expects an old Willys to have ripple free sheet metal. If it is perfect, @kmas0n is a genius; if not, we all still love it.

The tub is also all 16g, so it's a little more forgiving than most auto bodies

It looks like you’re getting the hang of sheet metal welding. Lots of fitting and tacks. If a skim coat of filler will make it look straight then it’s good.
Nice work bringing it back.

Reactions: kmas0n and Woodrow
It looks like you’re getting the hang of sheet metal welding. Lots of fitting and tacks. If a skim coat of filler will make it look straight then it’s good.
Nice work bringing it back.

So far I've managed to hammer and dolly everything to no more than 1/16 of an inch. I think it will look good with some body filler, another thing I have no experience with.

So far I've managed to hammer and dolly everything to no more than 1/16 of an inch. I think it will look good with some body filler, another thing I have no experience with.

My friend who is a body man says that’s just fine. I was shooting for that with a project I was asking him about.
I can say that when you’re block sanding the filer, a longer block will give you a flatter panel but it’s a lot of work.

Reactions: kmas0n
Since the rear of the frame had been replaced and the rear body mounts were gone, I needed to know where to drill holes and fabricate mounts. So I put the tub back on the chassis. Also started mocking up seats, and steering column.I even shifted gears and made vroom vroom sounds

PXL_20240412_194456409.jpg

This past week I went on a ride along to Smasher Canyon, the most difficult trail in the Verde Valley. It was a lot of fun, and everyone got through more or less undamaged. There was two close calls on rigs flopping over, but quick driver reflexes and luck got us through.

So I made a little video.