Trough Trail 2020

@jjvw what did you do to get it home? Pull the axle?

And what was done to the Dana 30 to get home?

Would be good info for less experienced people like me.

The stub shaft ear folded over. I needed to saw through it in order to remove the unit bearing and separate the inner and outer shaft.
20200802_155128.jpg

From there, we disassembled the driver's side and removed the inner shaft. The outer was kept bolted to the unit bearing to keep it from breaking apart.
20200802_204401.jpg

To get @hosejockey61 home, the ring gear was removed from the Dana 30. This meant draining the gear oil into a cooler, pulling the axle shafts and the carrier, removing the ring gear, re-installing the carrier and shafts, and figuring out a way to get the gear oil from the cooler back into the diff.

Reactions: Brianj5600
To get @hosejockey61 home, the ring gear was removed from the Dana 30. This meant draining the gear oil into a cooler, pulling the axle shafts and the carrier, removing the ring gear, re-installing the carrier and shafts, and figuring out a way to get the gear oil from the cooler back into the diff.
That’s what gallon sized ziplock bags are for! Dump the gear oil in, then toss the bag in the diff when you put it together. The bag gets shredded and gear oil is in. Obviously you want to drain it when you get home but that’s the least of your worries. A trick I’ve yet to need, but glad I picked up from an old-school wheeler

• Wow
Reactions: Plumber1 and Vasq
That’s what gallon sized ziplock bags are for! Dump the gear oil in, then toss the bag in the diff when you put it together. The bag gets shredded and gear oil is in. Obviously you want to drain it when you get home but that’s the least of your worries. A trick I’ve yet to need, but glad I picked up from an old-school wheeler

We talked about how great it would be to have ziploc bags, but everyone of us is environmentally conscience and had reusable containers.

@jjvw Could you not have removed the axle nut, removed the unit bearing without the stub, removed the shaft, put the stub into the knuckle/inner C and then installed the unit bearing and the axle nut?

@jjvw Could you not have removed the axle nut, removed the unit bearing without the stub, removed the shaft, put the stub into the knuckle/inner C and then installed the unit bearing and the axle nut?

The the remaining ears and u joint were still locking the two halves together. And I was concerned that trying to roll them apart would push the lower ball joint out, creating a much more irritating predicament. I decided to do what it took to keep the BJ and inner C intact. Beyond that, the folded ear made the stub larger than the hole in the knuckle. I wasn't seeing a way to separate the two with everything else wedged together. Again, my main concern was the ball joints.

I'm thinking through your suggestion more. Maybe? Maybe next time?

Used water bottles and a purchase y of tworley's air hose
Did you see the dirt every day where Fred tried to add a trash bag filled with fluid straight into the diff? He couldn't get it to fit but claimed it was a "thing".

Did you see the dirt every day where Fred tried to add a trash bag filled with fluid straight into the diff? He couldn't get it to fit but claimed it was a "thing".

When I read about it years ago, I recall the trick was to use several smaller bags. I imagine they wouldn't be filled very full so you could stuff them into the crevices.

Reactions: Alex01
When I read about it years ago, I recall the trick was to use several smaller bags. I imagine they wouldn't be filled very full so you could stuff them into the crevices.
To get off a trail it doesn't seem like a terrible idea.

The stub shaft ear folded over. I needed to saw through it in order to remove the unit bearing and separate the inner and outer shaft.
View attachment 188309

From there, we disassembled the driver's side and removed the inner shaft. The outer was kept bolted to the unit bearing to keep it from breaking apart.
View attachment 188310

If the ring gear was removed what was the reason to put the gear oil back into the diff?