Turbo Kit Test TJ

I love how you incorporated the factory air box & filter instead of just slapping on an open filter element. (y)
Do you plan on having all tops fabricated aluminum, or are you looking into having plastic pieces made?

View attachment 346188

Agree. Very nice to retain the stock air box. I really like this set up. I'm looking forward to more details.

Reactions: BlueC and Wildman
They will be fabricated aluminum. I don't anticipate enough production to justify the setup costs of a plastic part.

Any new updates otherwise? Or are you still adding up the parts list/cost? How’s testing going/and the torque curve?

Edit: you must have been typing your above comment while I was…

Update on the kit... We have had it on the dyno a few times between heat cycling, break-in and driveability tuning. I don't have any detailed numbers yet, but I can say it has been over 230 whp without issue.

Nice. Probably over 300 at the crank with 25% drivetrain loss. How much spark advance and boost for that output?

Reactions: DWR and Wildman
That's pretty good for the 4.0.
Anyone remember what Banks was getting with their kits?

That was from a Motortrend article I saw from a while back.

20220727_170011.jpg

Reactions: Woodrow and Wildman
Was discussing this with a buddy and he asked about fuel mileage on a turbo 4.0. I've never seen this discussed. Does anyone know if there would be any notable decrease or increase of mpg with apples to apples driving habits?

Was discussing this with a buddy and he asked about fuel mileage on a turbo 4.0. I've never seen this discussed. Does anyone know if there would be any notable decrease or increase of mpg with apples to apples driving habits?

If you can keep your foot out of the floor you shouldn't hardly notice it as far as MPG but I doubt you'd be able to keep your foot out of it. Because you don't have to floor it anymore to climb a hill technically it shouldn't use as much fuel for some driving.

Just found this thread (and your other), this is fantastic. I have been doing a lot of reading on turbos lately but I have no practical knowledge/experience but have been researching putting together my own kit with some help from a couple people much more knowledgeable than myself, but why reinvent the wheel if there is no need. Love that you kept the stock air box.

How would altitude affect the turbo and could you compensate with an electronic boost controller? Looking to go forced induction once my stroker build is done, broken in and I am satisfied everything is running right. Also, since I am in Denver I would need to pass emissions inspection (sniffer and OBD scan), I don't know how accurate my info is but when I talked to the local inspector about LS swaps I was told that any programming changes detected would be an automatic fail.

Is the hood latch the same on all years? That heat exchanger looks like it would interfere with the safety catch on my 2000. I didn't think I could fit an exchanger that large.

The test Jeep I am using is a 2000. The latch fits fine. The cooler core is mounted below the latch.

20220802_171419.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
The test Jeep I am using is a 2000. The latch fits fine. The cooler core is mounted below the latch.

View attachment 347886

I noticed you had the same year after I posted that but thank you for clarifying and for the close up picture. Do you have the dimensions of the heat exchanger? That one seems to be a much better fit than the ones I was looking at.

Just found this thread (and your other), this is fantastic. I have been doing a lot of reading on turbos lately but I have no practical knowledge/experience but have been researching putting together my own kit with some help from a couple people much more knowledgeable than myself, but why reinvent the wheel if there is no need. Love that you kept the stock air box.

How would altitude affect the turbo and could you compensate with an electronic boost controller? Looking to go forced induction once my stroker build is done, broken in and I am satisfied everything is running right. Also, since I am in Denver I would need to pass emissions inspection (sniffer and OBD scan), I don't know how accurate my info is but when I talked to the local inspector about LS swaps I was told that any programming changes detected would be an automatic fail.

I just got back from Colorado with my other turbo TJ. The altitude defiantly had an effect on spool up, but because the boost pressure is controlled by a boost actuated valve the turbo will run the same amount of boost regardless of altitude.
Emissions are going to be an issue for some folks. My other TJ passes the Texas plug in emissions with a flash tuner. It can be done. No part of this kit removes or disables the factory emission devises.

Reactions: DWR and Wildman
I noticed you had the same year after I posted that but thank you for clarifying and for the close up picture. Do you have the dimensions of the heat exchanger? That one seems to be a much better fit than the ones I was looking at.

17x11 core 2.25" thick

Reactions: jwilkinson01
I just got back from Colorado with my other turbo TJ. The altitude defiantly had an effect on spool up, but because the boost pressure is controlled by a boost actuated valve the turbo will run the same amount of boost regardless
Thanks again for all the great info. That was with the Garrett turbo with a .83 A/R? Looks like the Precision turbo you have in this kit has some lower A/R options, might help those of us who live where there isn’t as much air in the air spool up quicker?

Thanks again for all the great info. That was with the Garrett turbo with a .83 A/R? Looks like the Precision turbo you have in this kit has some lower A/R options, might help those of us who live where there isn’t as much air in the air spool up quicker?

A smaller A/R might help spool up a bit. I chose the a larger A/R to prevent backpressure issues and keep the fuel economy from falling off.