Two For One—A Go Fast TJ and J10 Build

OP
Trevlaw

Trevlaw

Sketchy Machinist
Supporting Member
Well I threw a P0301 code again yesterday at 66.6 miles, hopefully that's not a bad sign lol. Pretty sure the napa camshaft sensor shit the bed again. Actually have a line on some OEM Mopar ones even though they are discontinued, if anyone is also interested in these, feel free to pm me and I could possibly pickup a few of them and ship them out.

OP
Trevlaw

Trevlaw

Sketchy Machinist
Supporting Member
Console is pretty much done. Just have to make a shifter cable bracket that attaches to the trans since the one supplied with the shifter bolts into the same spot my trans pan heat shield does, and I don't want to deal with changing that again.

Had to fiddle with the cable clamp on the shifter body to get it to line up right. Used the Burke mill to make a little aluminum spacer block to space the cable down a bit

IMG_20210915_153115563_HDR.jpg

Also got the NSS and the the reverse light switches and cams installed. Had to grind some clearance into the two cable rails for the bolt heads for the cams, but it all went together fairly well. The switches they used put the switch blade terminals right above the shifter cable, so I had to bend those 90* and have the wires exit towards the back of the shifter.

IMG_20210915_153150978_HDR.jpg

Painted the console a different color than the trans tunnel pan just to try it out, and because I can't remember where I bought the first color from lol. The shifter console got some Krylon Black Metallic Stainless. I think I like this color a bit more, it seemed to even out a lot better and look more uniform. Though it had so much flake in it my hands looked like I was feeling up a stripper by the time I was done.

IMG_20210920_150847336_HDR.jpg

The standard 5 foot shifter cable is way more than I need, a 3 foot would be perfect, but it seems winters only goes as short as a 4 foot cable. I'll probably just make it work for now.

Now back to the fun part, finishing up all of the engine wiring...

OP
Trevlaw

Trevlaw

Sketchy Machinist
Supporting Member
Well I found one OEM camshaft position sensor. Only $130 shipped to me... Hopefully it works.

If anyone else needs one, the first dealership I spoke to said even though it's discontinued, there are 6 other dealerships around the country that still have some, so might be worth calling the local dealer to see which one closest to you has one

Reactions: B00mb00m
OP
Trevlaw

Trevlaw

Sketchy Machinist
Supporting Member
Well I spent about 6 hours yesterday staring at the wiring trying to remember what I had figured out before I did the shifter.

Trying to find a good answer on whether or not I should use a fusible link, fuse, or two fuses on a power cable running straight from the alternator to my positive battery post. If anyone has any insight I'd really appreciate it.

I've seen a lot of conflicting info and I don't know enough to know what's right or wrong.

Currently I was planning on a 2 gauge cable straight to the alternator, another 2 gauge cable straight to the starter, and a third 1/0 cable going to the factory Chevy underwood fuse box to use it as a power distribution for anything else on the truck like accessories, trans cooler, etc.

OP
Trevlaw

Trevlaw

Sketchy Machinist
Supporting Member
Behold my masterpiece. If anyone sees any glaring mistakes or ways to do it better, please speak now

IMG_20210924_115543.jpg

OP
Trevlaw

Trevlaw

Sketchy Machinist
Supporting Member
Doesn't the fusible link normally go between the battery and the PDC?
I don't know. I always thought fusible links were kind of an alternator thing. Tox is going to check his harness for me and let me know how his is set up.

A fusible link or maybe a MEGA or MIDI fuse between the battery and the PDC would probably be a good idea as well though