Updating (backdating?) the TJ grille

jscherb

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've done a lot of fiberglass projects for the TJ/LJ over the years (Safari Cab hardtop, CJ Grille Kit, MB-style flat fenders, Cool Cowl and more) but for the past few years my fiberglass projects have been for the JK/JKU. When the JL came out it made me think about the TJ grille again.

The JL grille design invokes the old CJ grille designs in that the headlights intrude into the outer slots. The JL doesn't have turn signals in the grille, and maybe for that reason it actually reminds me more of the TJ grille than the CJ grille. But the TJ's headlights don't intersect the outer slots.

Wondering what this might look like on the TJ, I drew a concept image to compare to the factory TJ grille.

JLTJGrille_zps8vofgasf.jpg

Going a step further, what if turn signals were mounted in this grille just like the CJ?

JLTJGrilleTurnSignals_zpsfg1ybzkg.jpg

I decided that this grille looks good enough to be built, so I'm building it. I'm building it in fiberglass, which first involves making a mold.

If you'd like to talk about the possibility of being able to purchase this grille, see this thread:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/gauging-interest-on-the-cj-jl-grille-overlay-for-the-tj.34905/

I definitely like the look of the bottom right picture. Of course it would look even better minus the stock rectangular fender turn signal assemblies.

Reactions: astjp2
I definitely like the look of the bottom right picture. Of course it would look even better minus the stock rectangular fender turn signal assemblies.
Completely agree, I just didn't take the time to update the concept image to remove the factory turn signals.

As part of my CJ Grille Kit for the TJ project, I made molds for fenders without turn signals, so these fenders would be perfect for use with the new grille with turn signals in it.

LJ-8Final2_zpsfbe98979.jpg

I am pretty sure that I've seen a TJ with flat fenders and turn signals on the grill. It does look good.

Reactions: Tob
I was talking about those with some buddies a few weeks back. Really like the old style look and still factory fit. I’m assuming it would be that difficult to develop a high line out of that.
When I made the molds for the inner fenders I added an extra high margin at the top so that the outer fenders could be made in a highline version and still mate with the inner fenders properly. These are the inner fender molds, they're sitting upside down but you can see there's a taller flange on the top (the bottom in this photo).

InnerFenderMoldsPopped.jpg

This is a photo-edit mockup I did at the time showing what the CJ-style fenders would look like in a highline version.

HighLine3dConcept1.jpg

I also made provisions in the CJ-style hood mold so it could be made in a highline version as well.

Making a highline version of either the flat fenders or the CJ-style fenders was part of the original design; I just never had the need to do the highline outer fender molds because I made standard-height fenders on my LJ. I've still got the highline inner fender molds; if I decided to continue this project making the highline outers would be straightforward.

Following. I really like the upper right picture, personally (wider grill slats, TJ turn signals in stock location) and would definitely be interested if, the price point was there. My suggestion would be to mark the back sides of the grill to guide folks who want to move the turn signals, but leave the grill whole as delivered. (or would that be hole-less??)

Maybe @jjvw could work with you on figuring out a solution for the rear wall of the front inner fender and tire clearances. I know he’s been thinking about how to modify his to fit 35s.

We'll see how far I need to go, but my intention would be to copy the AEV corner cut into the wall. But that might be easier said than done.
DSC_0016.jpeg

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
I had always felt the CJ7 was the high point in design of this series. I also think Internal's tractor styling high point was the early '50s letter series (super C, super M)
I'm also of the opinion that the CJ/CJ/WRANGLER tech high point is the 04-06 Rubicon (TJ &LJ). Combine the looks of a 7 with the mechanics of the TJ and [POOF] best Jeep ever!🦄

I think it's subtle enough that any of those grilles look good honestly.

X2 on all of that. For the turn signal enclosures you added to the lower-right grill (my favorite) the OE JK turn signal enclosures are ideal. They have the right proportions and accept the factory turn signal bulb enclosures without any modification.

This is how I did mine there using the JK enclosures.

CIMG4030.JPG

Last edited:
I've done a lot of fiberglass projects for the TJ/LJ over the years (Safari Cab hardtop, CJ Grille Kit, MB-style flat fenders, Cool Cowl and more) but for the past few years my fiberglass projects have been for the JK/JKU. When the JL came out it made me think about the TJ grille again.

The JL grille design invokes the old CJ grille designs in that the headlights intrude into the outer slots. The JL doesn't have turn signals in the grille, and maybe for that reason it actually reminds me more of the TJ grille than the CJ grille. But the TJ's headlights don't intersect the outer slots.

Wondering what this might look like on the TJ, I drew a concept image to compare to the factory TJ grille.

View attachment 140241

Going a step further, what if turn signals were mounted in this grille just like the CJ?

View attachment 140242

I decided that this grille looks good enough to be built, so I'm building it. I'm building it in fiberglass, which first involves making a mold. More to come...
Any way to make the turn signals a little bit larger like the original CJ? I'd be all over it if it were. I like the CJ look on the TJ, been wanting to do something like this for a long time and then fill in the signals on the fenders.