1. It's time to vote for the July 2018 "Ride of the Month"! Click here to vote. Voting will end on June 30th.
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Discussion in 'TJ Frequently Asked Questions' started by Chris, May 29, 2018.

1. Rob5589

Rob5589 Rust•eze Bumper Ointment certified dealer
    Supporting Member

Depends on what kind of soundstage you prefer. If you want music all around you and over your head, then a soundbar or pods will work. If you prefer more of a concert type sound with the music coming from in front of you then you don't need anything in the rear. I personally fade toward the front with just enough to the pods that the kids get some sound. When alone I prefer nothing to the rear.

2. Chris

Chris Administrator
    Staff Member

All I know is that using the setup I did in the factory location, it will blow your mind.

3. cliffish

cliffish TJ Addict
    Supporting Member

Chris any reason you did not go with the db652 in the bar and the db522 in the dash? I have the 522 in the bar and is fine, but want to move them to the dash and maybe get the 652 in the bar?

4. Chris

Chris Administrator
    Staff Member

I thought about this and may still get the DB522s for the dash. I'd like to buy a set and compare them to the 4x6s in there now and see which one sounds better to my ear.

The chances that I'll buy the DB522s are high, in which case I intend to do a comparison and post about it here. Part of me thinks I should of went with them in the first place, but did I really need to? It sounds amazing as it is.

5. bobthetj03

bobthetj03 TJ Expert
    Supporting Member Ride of the Month Winner

Chances are you won't notice much of a difference based on your jeep's configuration (no doors). One thing I noticed when I went doorless, is the loss of some front sound stage due to the loss of the door panel bouncing the front speaker sound up to your ear.

JMT likes this.
  6. Chris

Chris Administrator
    Staff Member

That makes sense. I really need to get the sound pods for the front speakers. I'm guessing that will make a difference in sound output.

7. PriddyBoy

PriddyBoy Member
    Supporting Member

I found a set of these on OfferUp for $200. They are on the way. I called select increments and found out they don’t make them anymore. I can’t wait to get them in and see how they fit and sound.

https://flanelo.com/product/select-increments-quad-pod-with-speakers-60402k/

http://www.selectincrements.com/quadpod.html

God Doesn’t Like Ugly!!! That’s Why He Made Me Priddy!!!

JMT likes this.
  8. Chris

Chris Administrator
    Staff Member

9. JMT

JMT The Jeep Guy

I had somebody with a Toyota offer me those for $150. Could never figure out why he had TJ pods in the back of a yoda. Of course, he couldn’t figure it out either.

Chris likes this.
  10. cliffish

cliffish TJ Addict
    Supporting Member

I was lucky enough to get the front speaker pods @Chase_C 3d printed, look real good and solid...I went to install them and forgot I bought kicker 4 x 6 speakers for the front...before I got the DB522 in the bar pods. Kicker was real big in the JKU arena, but the polks are great for the tj. So I was thinking about moving the 522 to the dash and getting the DB652 for the roll bar?? not sure if that is a good move?

11. Chris

Chris Administrator
    Staff Member

Do the DB652 speakers directly fit in the sound bar, or do they require modification?

12. cliffish

cliffish TJ Addict
    Supporting Member

I have read conflicting answers on a 2005, I have read a "little" dremel work or they will fit but get drilled to the bar and need to use the polk grills as the oem wont fit?

13. Chris

Chris Administrator
    Staff Member

Not sure. My 522s fit just fine with the stock speaker grills, so I'll stick with them! I can't imagine you'd notice much of a difference.

14. cliffish

cliffish TJ Addict
    Supporting Member

probably right, the 522 in the roll bar sound/fit great, I might as well put them in the dash pods as well.

15. bobthetj03

bobthetj03 TJ Expert

6.5" require either some trimming of the sound pods or just drilling new holes in the plastic and using the new grill covers. the factory 5.25's are recessed in the pods.

Here you can see the recess where the factory speakers would mount. I mounted these 6.5's in place, but wasn't happy about how well they were secured to the pods. I went back to the DB522's and factory grills. Sounds great!
    P1040724.JPG

16. Rob5589

Rob5589 Rust•eze Bumper Ointment certified dealer
    Supporting Member

A 6.5 will fit, some need some trimming, others do not. I had to get creative with screw placement with the Kenwoods I run. Honestly, a 6.5 isn't going to give you much more over the stock 5.25. The pod is just to hollow and thin, even when stuffed with polyfil. You want bass, get a sub.