V8 Swap, Diesel?

Maybe find an early JKU with a blown 3.8. Brute it and throw the tons on. Its already wider and fit the v6's with dual overhead cams.
You're likely right, but I've tried to avoid being a JKU owner :). My plan is to steal the back section and the back seats and try to fit them to the YJ Body, then cut them off right behind the seats and go flat bed. Probably add 24" wheelbase length, I figure Wheelbase width would increase with the axles I need for a bigger diesel and total length would increase around 4 ft compared to the YJ.

I guess I could just use the JKU Frame though and just steal the YJ body. I could at least cut in the engine bay if I need more room.

Also I pondered going EV for the build, but then once I saw the price for a motor that could do highway speeds, not even just the batteries, decided to definitely not go that route and then even looked at the size generator one would need to power the batteries, and nope, not very feasible.

So front cab half and engine bay is still a yj? Then jku rear doors? Wouldn't there be a width problem?
Yes there would be a width issue, but I mainly just wanted the doors and the openings only. Just so if I want half doors and windows, etc, I could find stuff off the shelf.

Basically I didn't want all the extra length of a standard Jeep front door. I also thought maybe the rear JKU seats might fit better, since my wheel well will move and I could fit more seat width there.

Reactions: gaabbee
Just a note on the R2.8, i know a local Toyota engine swap guy has stopped support for the R2.8 because it's almost impossible to get parts. LIke months wait for alternator.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
Just a note on the R2.8, i know a local Toyota engine swap guy has stopped support for the R2.8 because it's almost impossible to get parts. LIke months wait for alternator.
I'd believe it. I heard some rumblings with the COVID stuff and how it's affecting China and our imports.

The R2.8 is assembled or checked in the US and designed in the US, but they only sell like 500 a year in the US vs millions world wide and they have almost no labor or regulatory cost in China, hence it's not a US manufactured item with a perfect parts supply.

It's my guess the R2.8 days are numbered in the US anyway, which is kind of why I got one, because for a brand new engine it's not a crazy price, but I do realize that I need to get my parts on the shelf rather than wait to break down. That is a major drawback for the Cummins engine. That's kind of why the big diesels and the TDIs are of interest for me on my next build, but the 2.8 is a great size and engine for a TJ, until something breaks.

Reactions: B00mb00m
An IDI 7.3L or a 6BT would be too heavy for a Jeep. Even if it fit you would probably destroy the front end (Dodge trucks with the Cummins do that already). Even the Kubota diesels that I've seen on here swapped in are heavy considering their size.

An IDI 7.3L or a 6BT would be too heavy for a Jeep. Even if it fit you would probably destroy the front end (Dodge trucks with the Cummins do that already). Even the Kubota diesels that I've seen on here swapped in are heavy considering their size.
I agree, I would replace everything with 1 ton parts and beef up my brackets as needed.

My issue is that I want another 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck and really like Jeeps, but have too many already.

so why don't you set a Jeep body on top of a Ram chassis or something? seems like more what you're going for, maybe a custom tube chassis? the TJ is just not set up for something so large and heavy, it would be a crazy amount of custom work to make everything happy.

so why don't you set a Jeep body on top of a Ram chassis or something? seems like more what you're going for, maybe a custom tube chassis? the TJ is just not set up for something so large and heavy, it would be a crazy amount of custom work to make everything happy.
You absolutely may be right. I mostly dismissed this idea at first and just thought about bolting a JKU body onto a Truck frame and adjusting that length as necessary. Then cutting the JKU and making it more of a flat bed setup.

However I really like the YJ tub and would like to go 4 door flat bed Jeep truck. Then I figured maybe I could use some of the YJ frame. I figured the leaf springs setup might be a little easier for hanging some 1 tons with custom adjustable arms and I'd have to figure out what to do for track bars and all the other steering stuff.

Figured I'd have to learn a little more on the job obviously, but I've got a background in design and engineering.

I'd believe it. I heard some rumblings with the COVID stuff and how it's affecting China and our imports.

The R2.8 is assembled or checked in the US and designed in the US, but they only sell like 500 a year in the US vs millions world wide and they have almost no labor or regulatory cost in China, hence it's not a US manufactured item with a perfect parts supply.

It's my guess the R2.8 days are numbered in the US anyway, which is kind of why I got one, because for a brand new engine it's not a crazy price, but I do realize that I need to get my parts on the shelf rather than wait to break down. That is a major drawback for the Cummins engine. That's kind of why the big diesels and the TDIs are of interest for me on my next build, but the 2.8 is a great size and engine for a TJ, until something breaks.
ya TDI availability is huge, can buy the whole spare vehicle with drivetrain for like $2K lol. Agreed the 2.8 seems like perfect fit for a jeep. Now that theres an OEM diesel option, we'll have to see how it fares.

6BT or IDI weigh 900lbs, that is alot of weight for a wrangler chassis. I do not know of alot of diesel swap people on this forum, but maybe researching Pirate4x4 to see who has done a swap like you have in mind. Could you do it- probably-yes; but are you going to enjoy it after you all done? I concur with @pc1p, it is heavy engine.

Maybe to help put some perspective on this is what is going to be the main purpose of this build? Diesels are engineered for heavy work, running long hours nonstop. Gasoline are more for the consumer, everyday use, short term driving, etc.

6BT or IDI weigh 900lbs, that is alot of weight for a wrangler chassis. I do not know of alot of diesel swap people on this forum, but maybe researching Pirate4x4 to see who has done a swap like you have in mind. Could you do it- probably-yes; but are you going to enjoy it after you all done? I concur with @pc1p, it is heavy engine.

Maybe to help put some perspective on this is what is going to be the main purpose of this build? Diesels are engineered for heavy work, running long hours nonstop. Gasoline are more for the consumer, everyday use, short term driving, etc.
I do know 6BTs are occasionally swapped in mainly for show, I'd imagine. The axles are gonna weigh way more, the steering and suspensions will weigh way more, the tcase, the transmission, batteries, frame, etc. The Jeep frame is a pretty good frame, but may just simply be too small. I'll have to see how it's laid out and do some calculations and see what makes sense, and maybe something like torsion arms and a beefy crossmember and skid plate/armor setup can handle some additional loading if it's even marginal.

Of course if something like a V8 diesel won't physically fit, then the issue is moot. I think it would be fun though, but I could certainly find some pretty good 1 ton frames out there to work with. It would make geometry easy, but I don't think veering slightly away from the Jeep geometry would be the end of the world either, but I might just need to be looking at putting a Jeep tub on a 1 ton. I'm just not sure.

I do know 6BTs are occasionally swapped in mainly for show, I'd imagine. The axles are gonna weigh way more, the steering and suspensions will weigh way more, the tcase, the transmission, batteries, frame, etc. The Jeep frame is a pretty good frame, but may just simply be too small. I'll have to see how it's laid out and do some calculations and see what makes sense, and maybe something like torsion arms and a beefy crossmember and skid plate/armor setup can handle some additional loading if it's even marginal.

Of course if something like a V8 diesel won't physically fit, then the issue is moot. I think it would be fun though, but I could certainly find some pretty good 1 ton frames out there to work with. It would make geometry easy, but I don't think veering slightly away from the Jeep geometry would be the end of the world either, but I might just need to be looking at putting a Jeep tub on a 1 ton. I'm just not sure.

I concur it would be easier putting the tub on an established chassis, as the drivetrain is engineered to handle the diesel. If I were to do it, I would do it that way, but what about width? Those tires and axles are going to be way out from the tub, and going to need wide flairs, and at that width depending where you are at, you may not fit down some trails.

ya TDI availability is huge, can buy the whole spare vehicle with drivetrain for like $2K lol. Agreed the 2.8 seems like perfect fit for a jeep. Now that theres an OEM diesel option, we'll have to see how it fares.
Well there's 2 OEM diesel options for Jeeps, as far as engines I think. I'm sure there's some variance in those different engines and stuff too.

My issue with the Eco-diesel is that the price is crazy high and the upgrade and then removing all the Gov Bureaucratic stuff on it will cost you $8k or more. Plus the JLU I'd get would probably be about $45k, which takes a big chunk out of my fun budget each month or the Gladiator which would be over $60k. More and more the truck is becoming more practical for me and my wife.

From what I hear on towing with the Gladiator, is that it's not very good and the payload is really tiny, like 800lbs. In my experience with the new transmissions, I might blame that stuff on the transmission, but I obviously don't know.

Aesthetically I do like the pre JK Wranglers and CJs.

I concur it would be easier putting the tub on an established chassis, as the drivetrain is engineered to handle the diesel. If I were to do it, I would do it that way, but what about width? Those tires and axles are going to be way out from the tub, and going to need wide flairs, and at that width depending where you are at, you may not fit down some trails.
Yes the width really concerns me. Hence, why I'd almost rather beef up a Wrangler frame.

Reactions: motomick76
I've been around a lot of truck frames at these manufacturing plants and I don't remember there being much difference in the 3/4 to 2.5 ton frames, hence 3/4 ton frames are overbuilt and the main difference is like steering suspension and gear ratios.

Now a Jeep isn't the size of those frames, so I'm not sure what it can take. I'm not going to be pulling 8k lbs non-stop. But I will have a month or 2 frequently picking up and moving our smaller tractors and equipment.

A perspective might be a Wrangler frame might be a little lighter than a 1/2 ton truck frame. Would you tow something with a 1/2 ton truck? Wrangler could do it. Does it require a 3/4 or more - definitely a Wrangler frame cannot handle it.