Want to install lockers but not sure what to order

snowlover

New to the jeep world. Have a 1999 TJ sport 4.0 AT I think its a dana 30 front dana 44 rear. Been reading about lockers and am more confused now. How would I know the spline count?. On a budget and was thinking of doing a spartan front. I have 33 tires 4" lift, transfer case lowered, mostly stock. It's my plow truck in the winter and would like to off road it in the summer. Would be trailered to the OHV parks. Not driven on the road much. 9 miles of pavement to the kids house to plow. Looking for opinions from rear world jeepers.
Thank you Dan

Dana 30.jpg

Dana44.jpg

jeep.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Vasq
Different traction adders are designed to fit different needs. Why do you think you need lockers? Your describing light trail uses, lockers not typically required for that.

Dana 30 front 27 spline
This locker
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007N3P9DA/?tag=wranglerorg-20
The rear is a Dana 44 (lucky dog) 30 spline
A locker for this is a much more difficult decision. Because you plow with it, I’d highly recommend a selectable locker. Elocker, OX, Arb in that order. I rate ARB last because of the compressed air and possibility of frozen air lines preventing it’s use.

When I built my TJ I was living in Indiana and built it to handle the snow. I went with Detroit Trutracs in the front and rear. After I put them in, it did better in the snow in 2wd than it did in 4wd with the stock setup. I took it to a few off-road parks and it handled everything I threw at it (Midwest terrain though). I know it’s not going to be a rock crawler, but it’s one hell of a snow machine.

Reactions: A2frontrange
I rate ARB last because of the compressed air and possibility of frozen air lines preventing it’s use.
Most rate ARB a solid #1. You're the first I've seen to dare to consider frozen air lines to be a serious factor in a locker decision... that's a real stretch.

Most rate ARB a solid #1. You're the first I've seen to dare to consider frozen air lines to be a serious factor in a locker decision... that's a real stretch.
Elocker > ARB. Why use the same volts to make air pressure when you can just lock?
If it’s a working truck it needs to minimize failure points. ARB has multiple, including the posibility of frozen air lines.
Yeah I saw tworley has had no problems in CO and a in a thread on pirate the Iceland crew checked in with no issues. Physics doesn’t lie, when you compress air it warms and condensation is a potential.

Elocker > ARB. Why use the same volts to make air pressure when you can just lock?
If it’s a working truck it needs to minimize failure points. ARB has multiple, including the posibility of frozen air lines.
Yeah I saw tworley has had no problems in CO and a in a thread on pirate the Iceland crew checked in with no issues. Physics doesn’t lie, when you compress air it warms and condensation is a potential.
I have used my ARB lockers in JV only in the winter time for at least 18 years to be on the safe side. Spent several Christmas days out there in the snow. Many nights dipped below 19 degrees and in case you haven't had your coffee yet, that is somewhat below the freezing point of water. I am also acutely aware that the same o-ring issue that blew up a few astronauts can also happen to the seals in an ARB which I have actually heard of.

We've never had a single cold weather related issue with regard to an ARB not functioning and in the groups I go with, they are by far the locker of choice.

I wholeheartedly agree that physics don't lie, neither does practical experience.

I have used my ARB lockers in JV only in the winter time for at least 18 years to be on the safe side. Spent several Christmas days out there in the snow. Many nights dipped below 19 degrees and in case you haven't had your coffee yet, that is somewhat below the freezing point of water. I am also acutely aware that the same o-ring issue that blew up a few astronauts can also happen to the seals in an ARB which I have actually heard of.

We've never had a single cold weather related issue with regard to an ARB not functioning and in the groups I go with, they are by far the locker of choice.

I wholeheartedly agree that physics don't lie, neither does practical experience.
You missed the part about a working truck and KISS.
I can accept the experience examples, no problem. But you can not deny the the ARB system has more potential failure points than an OX or Elocker.
It’s not your issue that I trust volts more than air pressure. ;shrug;

Reactions: HardSell and PNW Lj
Jerry why would you consider ARB to be #1 over the E-locker? I'd think the electronic setup would be more reliable. I have lockers here in my future, just looking for opinions.

Reactions: HardSell
You missed the part about a working truck and KISS.
I can accept the experience examples, no problem. But you can not deny the the ARB system has more potential failure points than an OX or Elocker.
It’s not your issue that I trust volts more than air pressure. ;shrug;
It is hypocritical to discuss potential failure points of any traction adder in a vehicle so unbelievably complex that it requires a computer to manage it and the failure of a single wire in most of the harnesses will render it useless. The only traction adders that are tolerable to remain outside the definition of hypocritical are a spool and a full case auto locker.

Since you do not trust air pressure, it is only appropriate that you take your tires down to the tractor shop and get them foam filled. I shall also expect to see threaded fittings and stainless steel hardline replacing all your air transmission lines under the hood. While you're at it, take a serious gander at them hangy downy brake lines that might get snagged.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: D M
It is hypocritical to discuss potential failure points of any traction adder in a vehicle so unbelievably complex that it requires a computer to manage it and the failure of a single wire in most of the harnesses will render it useless. The only traction adders that are tolerable to remain outside the definition of hypocritical are a spool and a full case auto locker.

Since you do not trust air pressure, it is only appropriated that you take your tires down to the tractor shop and get the foam filled. I shall also expect to see threaded fittings and stainless steel hardline replacing all your air transmission lines under the hood. While your at it, take a serious gander at them hangy downy brake lines that might get snagged.
Nah, I just ordered a Tesla truck, problem solved

Jerry why would you consider ARB to be #1 over the E-locker? I'd think the electronic setup would be more reliable. I have lockers here in my future, just looking for opinions.
We consider them interchangeable. We also don't consider that either is more or less prone to failure since we know how to route electrical wires and if you can route electrical, you can route air.

Reactions: D M and qslim
You would be better off starting with the rear. Like many have stated already the selectable is the most desirable, especially in the rear.
You could get by with an automatic locker up front but selectable is also more desirable. Most advice against automatic lockers if you have to drive in the snow. They’ll stay locked and you could end up in a ditch. I live in TN and my TJ is a weekend vehicle so I had no problem installing an automatic up front. I was able to drive some in the snow this year and it handled ok. I wouldn’t want to drive it far that way.
there are several automatic locker brands. I went with a torq locker for the easy install and possibly stronger design.

I said 'most' consider the ARB #1, especially in the hardcore circuits like KOH. So do but I now also condider the E-Locker its equal. If I have a problem with either of my Rubicon lockers I'll most likely replace it with an E-Locker. But I'd be just as happy with the ARB.

The '98 XJ 4.0L that I drove as a daily driver and used for Off Roading in Colorado, Moab, Nevada, Arizona, and California had a ARB in the front and a Detroit in the rear. While the Detroit performed flawlessly; I would have installed a selectable locker instead due the problems in the snow which were identified in previous posts. The only problem I encountered was the O ring blowing out, but that was a year or so after installing and was replaced under warranty. Otherwise the ARB worked flawlessly for almost 20 years.
I drove to and from every Off Roading event that I attended along with taking a 3000+ mile vacation trip thru the Northern states and both lockers performed flawlessly.
The only thing to add about having an ARB up front would be that I installed alloy axles with sealed U joints and full circle clips since most of my Off Roading events were Rock Crawling.

Wow Thank you all for posting. I had a air locker front and back in a Toyota land rover. Worked great. I did not like having to give up the space for the compressor and pressure tank. My grand kids love to 4 wheel with grandpa. Youngest son knows how to drive trucks better than me. I ordered a spartan for the front. I am on a time crunch and can always redo. Heading to Gilbert MN mainly atv riding but the truck will get tested. I am thinking the electronic lockers when time permits. What is the options I should look at in that realm of real world experience?

Reactions: SvtLdr